The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Reso Repair/Set up
Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 6:09 am    

I have an older Rogue that had an excellent conversion to 8 string many years ago. Has not been played,,,or even touched in several years that needs attention,,,set up,,adjustments etc. Would like to find someone in DFW area of Texas,,,but any suggestions welcome.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 10:19 am    

I don’t know of anyone right off in DFW, perhaps one of your fellow Texans will chime in. But in the meantime, what I would do were I in your shoes is contact The Guitar Sanctuary. They have become one of the preeminent Beard dealers in the country and always have drool worthy Beard resos on their website. That being the case, they may have someone qualified on staff, or unlike many music stores, they are familiar with dobros and perhaps they know of someone locally who can help you out.

There are some good dobro setup men out there, but you’d have to pack and ship the guitar, and along with the setup fees, it would cost you more than the guitar is worth.

The closest guy in your part of the country would be Kent Schoonover in Lone Grove, Oklahoma, he builds incredible dobros, but I have no idea if he has the time to do setups.

https://www.theguitarsanctuary.com/

Marty Broussard

Broussard, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 6:21 pm    

Sonny,
Jim Adams is in Spring. He might do it.

Best of luck,
MB

"Technique is really the elimination of the unnecessary..it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to achieve the smooth flow of energy and intent" Yehudi Menuhin

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 8:00 pm    

Hey guys ,,,Thanks!!
Mark,both of your suggestions would be within moderate driving distance for me. As for the "more than it would be worth",,,actually the only thing about this reso that is Rogue is the body,,,the square neck is a beautiful mahogany with ebony fret board,,quarterman cone,,grovers,,,Carroll Benoit made the nut for me. Mike Auldridge made some very nice comments on it.,,,,as they say,,,one mans trash is another mans treasure. It's just been hanging on my wall for years and needs a set up, strings, and adjustments,,,,my hands are not what they used to be.

Thanks again for the suggestions.