The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Duesenberg multibender stuff
Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 9:42 am    

Alan Brookes wrote:
...Yes, my Miltibender is still on my Rondo at the moment, but I'm thinking of moving it to a resonator guitar, or a resonator console steel which I haven't designed yet...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=286880&highlight=palm+levers
I found I was using my lap steel with palm levers less and less, so I eventually built it into my new resonator guitar. (See the above thread.)
Now I use it almost every day.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jul 2016 9:47 am    

Tom-
I haven't really gotten into the Deusie...I started playing dobro and use that as my "more portable" rig...but I do still like that tuning. I just need to dedicate enough time to develop the muscle memory to make the levers be second-nature and play cleanly while holding them...not a big deal, but not instantaneous...it is a good "mini pedal steel" instrument...

...but what I'll do instead is sell the instrument, if anyone wants it...the dobro is really pulling me in...I haven't taken the Deusie out of its case for a very long time...anybody out there interested? This one has a custom hard case, roller nut and nice palm lever for the third lever, makes it a lot more possible to play with 3 levers...

...and thanks for the comment on The Stubborn Lovers, I'm just lucky to play in a band with 3 singers who have the voices of angels...

Last edited by Steve Lipsey on 8 May 2017 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 24 Jul 2016 9:34 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
...the Dobro is really pulling me in...I haven't taken the Deusie out of its case for a very long time...

...then get the best of both worlds and buy the Deusie that's made specifically for Dobro. Winking

John Hauck

Long Beach, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jul 2016 11:56 am     multibender

Here's a vid of the Fairltale played by Luke Cyrus. It's actually a promotional vid for the Lehle volume pedal, but if you pick up the vid @ about the 1:45 mark, there's a clip of the guitar being played with the benders.
https://vimeo.com/146544712

Jesse Siebenberg

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:16 am     Duesenberg Pamona and Fairytale

Hi, I love these things.. Been playing them for over ten years.. I have both models. I can't believe I'm just getting around to this, but I'm sitting here trying to lower my high D string a half step. (I'm doing variations on open D low to high D A D F# A D). What the hell am I doing wrong? I thought the middle hole on the bender angled it so it would lower the note and not raise it, as it does when you string thru the end of the bender. Get me? I want to lower the high D to a C# for a major Dmaj7 kind of thing.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:20 am    

http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG899&lang=eng&product=2405C&sid3=1mhvvsonlrncbtbspefcqn3pi6

has instructions...enlarge the pic with the labels on it, instructions are near the bottom of the page

Jesse Siebenberg

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:21 am     Btw

This is going on the fairytale but I'm using the 3rd bender that came with the Pamona. It's fits but there are differences.. But I don't see how these differences would affect the problem of the string not lowering. Right now, the tension has just buried the bender into the bridge instead of keeping it up ready for a bend down.

Hope I'm explaining this well enough.. Btw I moved over to my Pamona to see if it worked on that one.. I strung it up thru the middle hole on the 2nd string and same deal. What am I doing wrong??

Jesse Siebenberg

California, USA
Post  Posted 8 May 2017 9:36 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
http://www.rockinger.com/index.php?cat=WG899&lang=eng&product=2405C&sid3=1mhvvsonlrncbtbspefcqn3pi6

has instructions...enlarge the pic with the labels on it, instructions are near the bottom of the page

Thanks Steve! I can't play the clips without buying flip4mac.. Lame.. Is it something you could easily explain..? I know it's something simple and dumb that I'm not seeing yet.. Thanks again- Jess

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 9 May 2017 8:03 am    

Here's a Duesenberg (new model) being played throughout the entire 1 hour concert.....Calexico Live......cut to 23:00 for one of the tunes and 4:00 for another......not very much lever work but you get the idea of how it sounds......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7y88wUnl8

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2017 8:13 pm    

Jesse-
You don't have to play the clips...just read the instructions and look at the picture...

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 19 May 2017 3:00 pm    

Here's a close up of the Duesenberg that I modified for the resonator guitar that I built.

Charles Dilworth

California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2021 1:58 pm     Duesenberg

I just got a Pomona a couple of months ago and its wonderful. Will definitely take some time to get used to the benders, but I see improvement on a daily basis. One thing - I want to add a third bender - and the piece just arrived from Germany. I cant find any Youtube info on disassembly/ assembly, and Duesenberg isnt responding to my emails to their Support address.... I think I understand the process, but I'm concerned Im going to botch it. Anyone know how to do this? Ive restrung it, moving the levers (changing from open D to E9) and you get a pretty good idea when you do this, but still... thanks in advance.

Joe Breeden

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2021 6:51 am    

Alan, is there a problem keeping your resonator in tune when using your benders? I'm thinking about compression on the spider and cone when raising string pitch.

Martin Huch

Hannover, Germany
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2021 12:10 pm    

hey Charles...check this out:
https://www.goeldo.de/media/pdf/0c/18/07/Multibender-Manual-EN.pdf

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 13 Mar 2021 8:39 pm    

Joe Breeden wrote:
Alan, is there a problem keeping your resonator in tune when using your benders? I'm thinking about compression on the spider and cone when raising string pitch.

I haven't been very happy with the tone from the resonator guitar that I built. To avoid the compression on the spider that you mention I had to reinforce the ring more than I wanted. It doesn't go out of tune, but I'm having second thoughts about using the regular open G tuning to make it compatable with bluegrass resonators, as the open G tuning is not conducive to getting C without depressing all four levers, and it's that which causes one to be out of tune, as you cannot let up the pressure on the strings.
I'm in limbo right now, as I'm in the middle of a house move and all my instruments are locked in a storage unit 500 miles away. Once I'm settled I might have another go at it. What I would really like to do is build a pedal steel mechanism into a resonator guitar, worked by cables, which would allow all the normal copedants using my feet.

Les Cooper

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2022 5:34 am     Fairytale tuning issues

Hey Folks,
I'm wondering if anyone here has had this issue.
I have my levers in the stock positions (half up of 4th and full up on 5th) and I've noticed that using the lever on the 5th affects tuning on the 4th.
It's worst in this scenario.
If I have the 4th bender engaged (up a half step) and play that note, and then press down the lever on the 5th WITHOUT playing that note, I notice that it pulls the 4th string flat.
The same holds true in reverse (4th affects 5th).