The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Nashville 400 with a 12inch Speaker
Keenan Friday

Magnolia, Arkansas, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 4:25 pm    

How does a NV400 with a 12 inch speaker sound compared to a 15? Can I get pretty much the same tone? Will a 12 inch give me a better tone? not as harsh or treble sounding or tinny? I find that an amp sounds the best the louder it is. Thus, I would think a 12 would be better suited because I could turn it up louder than a 15 and drive it more. Would I be correct on this? Those that have tried it and liked it or switched back to a 15. What are your thoughts? (sound better in a smaller room?) Thanks
Keenan

John Dowden

Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 11:10 pm    

Keenan,
You should check out this thread:
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=167419&highlight=nashville+400+sound

Seems like it was a pretty big hit with the people that have tried it. I wouldn't mind trying it myself sometime if I ever run across an old nashville 400 cheap.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 9:07 am    

i've always thought an amp sounded worse the louder it (and the band) got!

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 2:07 pm    

Thats what I thought also Chris.
I asked on another post but got no answer so will try here, How do you guys think the 400 with a 12" speaker would compare to the Nashville 112?

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 2:31 pm    

not knowing much about the electronic aspects of it, i bet the 400/12 would sound great. of course the 12 would probably be 8ohm instead of 4ohm like the 15, but it would probably be a nice clean focused sound.
i would imagine it would be noticeably better than the 112, having twice the power you might have to keep your foot out of it a bit. i'd like to try it, also. didn't tommy butler or someone do that with an LTD400?

Keith Currie

Shellbrook, Saskatchewan, Canada
Post  Posted 14 Jul 2013 4:17 pm    

I got an extra Nashville 400 and was thinking about splitting it to make it a little lighter and Randle just said the other day try a 12" if you do it so I may
Funny how as I get older that thing gets heaver, so two piece sounds good to me.

Matthew Jackson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2013 3:26 pm     nv 400 with a 12inch speaker

I recently got an LA 400 from craiglist. after putting in some fox chips it is a sweet sounding amp. Overall I think I like it a lot-- the 12 inch has a richness in the highs that the NV 400 did not have, I dial the mid way out and the low way up. It has been a while since I sold my old NV 400, so it may be hard to tell, but these are great amps and at 150 bucks may be an option to changing out a speaker. BTW the BW 12 in it is a great speaker. I have always loved the old PV special 130s and would look into one of these as well. just my 2 cents

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2013 10:19 pm    

The new Eminence EPS-12C is 4 ohm, 12", and specifically designed for steel guitar. Light weight also.