The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jimmy Day
bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2014 2:36 pm    

jimmy left this world for a better one on this date in 1999.
we miss you brother!
lovya,
bruce & lynn

Buddy Jennison

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 12:36 am     Jimmy Day

Today was his funeral. The undertaker said he had furnerals for senators, on down, but Jimmys' was by far the biggest. The funeral procession must have been two miles long. That smile and those chords, are really missed. "Little" Buddy.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2014 8:28 am    

The large chapel was totally full and the congregants were out in the hallway, easily 500 people there. Before the service, everyone was renewing old friendships with people they hadn't seen in years, talking about playing with Jimmy, stuff like that, and Jimmy's instrumentals were playing in the background.

Then a song that JD wrote and sang entitled "I Love You and I Know You Love Me" came on, and a hush fell over the whole chapel, you could feel its eeriness when it ended. A total void, like the air was sucked out of the room. But Brother Dave Rich broke the silence and got up to the microphone and said "how about a hand for Jimmy Day" and the place exploded with the biggest ovation you ever heard.

It was a wonderful service. Dave Rich, who was an RCA recording artist before his ministry, knew who he was preaching to and gave a beautiful sermon designed for musicians, non-judgmental and full of love and forgiveness. Yes, God knows we're humans, and we fail, and we give in to temptations out of weakness... but guess what, He loves us anyway and wants us to be home with him through His grace.

I forget who the pall bearers were, other than Lynn Owsley. I had the very sorrowful honor of carrying Blue Darlin' (his last one, a Mullen) from the visitation room to the altar, and then out to Lynn's bus, which was the family's transportation to the gravesite out in the country near Buda TX. Jimmy's brother and two sisters knew he was a famous musician, but had no idea of the impact and significance their brother had to the many thousands of steel guitarists. While we rode to the little country cemetery, I did my best to inform them of the importance he had in the creation of country music.

Congress Avenue was under construction that day, and was down to one lane in either direction. I could only imagine the frustration of many drivers in our busy city who had to wait while the over-a-mile long procession filed out of the mortuary's parking lot.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

W. Van Horn

Houston, texas
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 12:00 am    

That is a beautiful story Herb. I wish so much that I could've seen him play and talked to him.

Tommy Minniear

Logansport, Indiana
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 7:04 am    

Herb,
Thanks for giving those of us who couldn't attend a better perspective of the services.

Tommy Minniear

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 10:26 am    

Jimmy Day was and still is a major influence on how I play pedal steel and how I like to hear pedal steel played. Long live Jimmy's music.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 1:52 pm    

Amen to that Tommy.

David Higginbotham

Lake Charles, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2014 10:42 pm    

Quote:
Jimmy's brother and two sisters knew he was a famous musician, but had no idea of the impact and significance their brother had to the many thousands of steel guitarists.

I hoped his family eventually understood the pedal steel world as it is today would differ vastly without the contributions Jimmy made. The styles of music alone would have been totally different had it not been for Jimmy!!! I am still in awe as well as total confusion listening to the unique and distinct talent Jimmy displayed.

Years ago, a member posted a question of player's all time favorite steel rides on E-9th. There were many fantastic and phenomenal favorites to say the least. Buddy Emmons response was Dan Dugmore's ride on Blue Bayou. Not for its complexity, but for the pure approach that is an ever thriving classic to this day. Then Buddy's response continued, "Anything By Jimmy Day!" It's very evident that so many learned so much from Jimmy's playing of which can never be copied. He played from his heart and his amazing approach and influence on the music industry echoes today as one of the most prolific and creative players!
Dave

Buddy Jennison

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 12:09 am     Jimmy Day.

Herb nailed it, just right!!! "Little" Buddy.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 1:11 am    

David Higginbotham wrote:
... Buddy Emmons response was Dan Dugmore's ride on Blue Bayou. Not for its complexity, but for the pure approach that is an ever thriving classic to this day. Then Buddy's response continued, "Anything By Jimmy Day!"

I think the absolute happiest...and proudest... I ever saw Jimmy was when he showed me a birthday card that Buddy had sent him which was inscribed "to my Teacher..."

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Don Euton

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2014 6:07 pm    

Thanks for those comments , Herb. As long as a steel guitar is played on Earth, Jimmy Day will be remembered.

Don Euton

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2014 12:30 pm     An Earlier Thread by Clark Connell...

in Gone Home titled Rest In Peace Smokey Smith reveals Clarks introduction to Sonny Garrish. It reminded me of a show where Jimmy broke the fuse post off of his amp getting it out of the bus. He asked me if I had an amp and I said no, but I have a new fuse post and I can fix it in no time. While I was doing that, Sonny was warming up playing all the C6th work he never got to do on stage. His lead man came in to tune up and asked Sonny..." Got it all worked out ?" Cerainly a show to remember !!

Regards, Paul

Dan Behringer

Jerseyville, Illinois
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2014 6:39 am    

I got to see Jimmy Day the last time he played at the convention in St. Louis. I have to say I don’t think I’ve ever been so moved by anyone’s playing. Just when I thought he’d wrung every note out of a phrase that was humanly possible, he’d slide that bar and pull a knee lever and I’d be fighting back the tears as I wondered, where the heck did that come from? The man was nothing short of a genius!

Scotty nailed it when he said, “If you don’t like what this man does.... Then you don’t like music"!!

Mike Wilkerson

Luther Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 9:26 pm    

Jimmy Day was the first pro to notice my potential in my early formative years in steel guitar.we became very good friends and he always would call me if I hadn't talked to him in awhile.He knew my christian name but up to his final breath I would forever be known to him as kid...When I would go to the conventions Jimmy was the first person I would look for...I would tell him glad to see you Jimmy and he would reply "Hell kid at my age I'm glad to be seen"...i looked up to him and loved him like a brother...Jimmy as you look down from the heavenly band the kid is doing fine although me and the rest of the steel guitar community miss you terribly..RIP my dear friend Crying or Very sad

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2015 10:20 pm    

From the early 90s in St Louis. L to R Tom Morrell, Jimmy Day, Winnie Winston(standing,) Me, Herb Steiner. Photo by Mike Johnstone

Charlie McDonald

out of the blue
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 2:31 am    

Cool photo; there must be a story to how these guys got together in the same place.

It's enjoyable reading the reminiscences.

Jim Cooley

The 'Ville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 7:38 am    

I had the privilege of hearing Jimmy Day play at the Texas jamboree in Dallas. Scotty introduced him as "the best left foot in the business." It didn't take long to realize what he meant.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2015 9:19 am    

Charlie McDonald wrote:
...there must be a story to how these guys got together in the same place.

The story has 7 words: "the killer weed with roots in hell." Laughing