The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  3D printing music instruments
Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2013 11:37 pm    

Please check this link. And it happens right there in California.

http://d12tusb9bq3y6m.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/735645main_j2x_overlay_cropped_946-710-590x442.jpg

http://myscienceacademy.org/2013/03/21/the-future-of-exploration-starts-with-3-d-printing/

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2013 9:58 pm     More 3D printing.

This is slightly off topic, but 3D printing to collect energy from the sun is in the offing.

http://www.geek.com/news/geek-answers-why-dont-we-collect-solar-power-in-space-1578017/

Let the games begin.

Idea

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2014 8:44 pm     First metal print

Here is the first titanium metal bike that was printed. It still has to be assembled by hand.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2556707/The-3D-printed-BICYCLE-Worlds-printed-titanium-bike-frame-light-strong-needs-gluing-together.html

Go folks!

Idea

Dustin Rigsby

Parts Unknown, Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 5:40 am    

Kevin and Donny, I think you're short changing the idea a little. The MSA Millenium was made out of carbon fiber and it was taken pretty seriously...had a pretty serious price too....They say that MSA will no longer produce the Milly any more. My friend had one and it had a pretty sweet sound to it. That guitar was ahead of it's time. Another friend of mine has a Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic-electric that is possibly the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever touched...it's not too far fetched to think that we could make decent instruments using 3-D printing.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 8:43 am    

I hope this technology takes off.

Teddy Lloyd talked me in to buying a lot of its stock.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 9:15 am    

i don't get how 3d printing works. i thought printing was onto paper.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 11:37 am    

It works like a printer, printing one very thin layer at a time, then moving vertically and printing the next layer on top of the first, until eventually you've printed the entire object. Instead of using ink they use a specially forumulated liquid that solidifies immediately on contact with the layer underneath.
They have even printed body organs using human cells instead of ink, and the organs have functioned just like the real ones. This is, to my mind, one of the most exciting branches of 3D printing. Imagine them printing you a new kidney after your old one has expired, or printing a new hand for an amputee.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 1:57 pm    

can it print real money for less than the real thing?

Chris Johnson

USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 3:59 pm    

As a programmer, I can say that the qualities of a timber's resonance and attractiveness can be written into code without much problem.

Keep/Get an open mind. Remember the Apple II in 77'...; most childs' toys are 100 times more powerful today. My smartphone has higher specs than my stock 2 year old laptop.

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2014 4:19 pm    

Fascinating technology! Yes, I've heard some carbon fiber instruments that had a resonance and tone of their own that may not be comparable to wood. They were never the less professional grade instruments in their own right. Despite the fact that carbon fiber at first appearance(or sound wave) is very dull tone material. It is incredibly shapeable and predictable. Having worked with it in manufacturing and repairing aircraft parts I simply hate the toxicity of the resins as with most plastics and will never subject myself to that again.I am sure they will find less poisonous formulas in the future. Like CNCs ,3D will will have its place in instrument parts some day soon. How many do you want to make?

David Cubbedge

Toledo,Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 6:48 am    

I am a 3D Cad designer and modeler. I first saw this technology in 1989 at a trade show. The equipment was very expensive, but it was mind blowing how they could make prototype parts.

Need a tuning assembly for that old Stringmaster? Welcome to the future!
Red Emmons D10 fatback #2246D with sweet Hugh Briley split cases, Black Emmons S10 #1466S, '73 Fender "Snakeskin" Twin Reverb, Peavey Nashville 400, Line 6 Pod XT, Fender 400, Fender Stringmaster Double-8, too many guitars, one bass!

Ken Byng

Southampton, England
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 8:01 am    

David Cubbedge wrote:
I am a 3D Cad designer and modeler. I first saw this technology in 1989 at a trade show. The equipment was very expensive, but it was mind blowing how they could make prototype parts.

The price of the printers has come down quite a bit. They are still expensive, but.......could become affordable for some in the near future. Smile
Show Pro D10 - amber (8+6), MSA D10 Legend XL Signature - redburst (9+6), Sho-Bud Pro 111 Custom (8+6), Emmons black Push-Pull D10 (8+5), Zum D10 (8x8), Hudson pedal resonator. Telonics TCA-500, Webb 614-E,

Don Griffiths

Steelville, MO
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2014 5:07 pm    

Sid Hudson wrote:

Which stock did you buy Sid? Very Happy

Peter Harris

South Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 5:11 am    

Ken Byng wrote:
David Cubbedge wrote:

The price of the printers has come down quite a bit. They are still expensive, but.......could become affordable for some in the near future. Smile

There are a number of 'processes' that can be used to produce an object in 3D from a computer file...according to what material you require the object to be constructed from.

The type of process/material that is required, dictates the type of printer (and associated technology) that is employed...the 3D printers that are commercially available to the DIYer (and have come down in price) are generally of a fairly simple nature, and employ melting a plastic filament and squirting the resultant molten goo through what is basically an up-market ink-jet printer with a movable platten.

The more technically based processes which involve things like (accurately!) curing minute globs of resin in a tank with computer-guided lasers, or 'cooking' sintered metal (or wood!) particles remain in the realm of companies in the business, with appropriate large amounts of $$$ to spend on the hardware and software... It is these commercial processes which are more likely to generate components that may be suited to the production of musical instruments as we know them....

The 'Rapid Prototyping' business (which has almost now morphed into feasible areas of low-volume production) has been around for a couple of decades in one form or another...it is just that recent developments of processes and materials have pushed it into a J-curve over the last 5 years and it has gained more press as a result (not to belittle the many people involved in the research that has taken place).

...I guess it's worth keeping an open mind on what may be possible in the future, but don't expect a meaningful outcome from your $800 desktop 3D printer, other than to maybe prove the dimensional accuracy of the part you have designed...ultimately you will probably have to take your computer file to a commercial 3D printing company to make the part in a suitable form or material to do the job intended. You get what you pay (somebody else) for..

Much more on the Net about all this stuff, if need you to take 3 or 4 hours off what you really should be practicing..

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 6:33 am    

Don Griffiths wrote:
Sid Hudson wrote:

Which stock did you buy Sid? Very Happy

DDD

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 10:58 am    

David Cubbedge wrote:
...Need a tuning assembly for that old Stringmaster? Welcome to the future!

But unless they've perfected a blend of chemicals which will replicate the appearance of electroplated nickel silver in your 3D printer you would still have to have the final parts plated, or they would look out-of-place in plain grey.
I'm reminded of an episode of Star Trek Next Generation, where they're resucitated the frozen body of a country singer from the 20th century. They create a guitar for him in the replicator, which looks and plays just like the original. At the time the episode was made, the whole idea of having a replicator on board a space ship which could replicate items you need instead of having to send back to Earth for them sounded far-fetched, but now I understand that NASA is thinking of installing 3D printers in the International Space Station, so that odd items can be made on site instead of having to blast them up in an expensive rocket.
Who knows where we shall be in 20 years time.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2014 11:26 am    

It boggles the mind to think of the possibilities.

The medical world is already using this technology to print an exact duplicate of bones.
I read an article where a woman needed a jaw replacement as a result of cancer.
They performed a 3D scan of her jaw, printed a new jaw bone and surgically replaced hers.

They are currently working on printing internal organs from human cells that will function.

The Air Force is now using 3D printers to make many parts on our new Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II fighter jet.

I do believe that this technology will revolutionize the world and the way in which we do and create things.

My biggest concern is what harm this may have on the jobs in the US. No more dies needed, no more machine shops or the need for the people that work in them.

Yes somebody will have to run the printer but I fear that this technology will decrease the need for labor in this county.

Jan Viljoen

Pretoria, South Africa
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2014 3:43 am    

Hi Blokes,

New medical research regarding 3D Printing.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/3d-printed-cast-speeds-bone-recovery-using-ultrasound

Still waiting for the first pedal steel.

Regards.

Exclamation

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2014 8:41 am    

What Alan Said…"Who knows where we shall be in 20 years time."

We also might see things being grown from self assembling dust particles.

Topic drift… sorry. Couldn't resist.

Chrysalis company has been doing this for a while. I never played one, but they make some beautiful looking stuff.
http://www.chrysalisguitar.com/history.html

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2014 5:11 pm    

Dustin Rigsby wrote:
Kevin and Donny, I think you're short changing the idea a little. The MSA Millenium was made out of carbon fiber and it was taken pretty seriously...had a pretty serious price too....They say that MSA will no longer produce the Milly any more. My friend had one and it had a pretty sweet sound to it. That guitar was ahead of it's time. Another friend of mine has a Rainsong carbon fiber acoustic-electric that is possibly the best playing and sounding guitar I've ever touched...it's not too far fetched to think that we could make decent instruments using 3-D printing.

Dustin, I bought one of the very first MSA Millenniums that was made. The carbon-fiber body was made with the old "lay-up" bonding process, but I suppose you could do something "similar" on a 3-D printer. The company I work at has been using 3-D printing for many years, so I have familiarity and first-hand experience with the technology. It's not that I don't think someone could build a pedal steel that way, but that right now, it's an impractical and super-expensive way to do it. Manufacturers always look for the cheapest and easiest way to do things, and IMHO, the dozens of small parts and the many different materials currently used in pedal steels simply don't all lend themselves very well to this technology.

Kristen Bruno

Orlando, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2014 4:48 pm    

I am sure that no matter how things are built in the future ..,, they will last!!!!! (for 5 years)

K

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 6:03 am    

surely it could print me up a hundred telecasters!

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 2 May 2014 7:52 am    

I could use a new liver. Think I'll print one up.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 4 May 2014 6:12 am    

[quote="Alan Brookes
Who knows where we shall be in 20 years time.[/quote]

dead.......

Paul Arntson

Washington, USA
Post  Posted 6 May 2014 9:06 am    

Howard Howard Howard