The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Mooney D-10 white 8 & 7 $4200 plus shipping/insurance
steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 6:41 am    

Tom Mooney D-10 built white Formica with 8 Knees and 7 levers. It can be expanded to 10 levers since the rods and bell cranks are present. Note the split tuners on every string. Thomas-tooled hard-shell case. Note the pictures as of July12th that show how the forward levers work. Tom Mooney had a great design for those, in my opinion.

$4200 Plus shipping/insurance

The Mooney pedal steel is one of the best kept secrets in the manufacture of steels. Tom Mooney is a master machinist and has incorporated a number of innovative features in the design such as forward levers and his owner changer.

Here is what Tom told me about this steel:
[b]
"That was the only one I built with the "out" levers, designed as I built them. The changers are my own design, although as you know, there are only so many ways to configure two levers. The changer is most similar to the one that Zane Beck used.
The body is hard maple, in fact fabricated with maple from a bowling alley factory in upstate New York. Thank you for the compliment on the guitar.
I got into building in 1992. I have always wanted to build my own guitar, and after retiring from a career in electronics (40 years), I decided to give it a try. I built maybe a total of 20 and went to a lot of shows and the convention showing them. I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn't live long enough to get one as good as Bruce Zumsteg or Del Mullen. Also I wanted to travel , so I sold all my metal working machines and upgraded my wood shop."

OK, here's the run down on this thing....8 Pedals (currently in Emmons set up), and 10 Knee levers. Tom gave this guitar "forward" knee levers and this steel has 2 of them as the original owners special ordered them. It is the only Mooney that has them according to Tom.

Here's the catch....I only have 7 of the actual "levers." Unfortunately the previous owner had to move multiple times and somewhere along the line the other three levers went missing. The pulling mechanisms for these levers, however, remain on the steel. If you or someone can machine your own levers or use some off of another steel, then you are good as gold. Glenn Uhler, a Forum member suggested that Michael Yahl does excellent work fabricating parts.

Emmons set-up. I won't be able to ship until October.

The missing levers are all from the C6 neck and are the Left, Vertical, and forward knee levers.

As far as its condition only two things that are noticeable are a small crack in the formica (about an inch) in the finish on the top left corner, and a small "bubble" on the fretboard. BUT, Tom Mooney has just offered to provide me with a new Mooney fretboard free of charge. Both flaws are purely cosmetic and aren't even noticeable unless you are actually up on the thing playing it.

So there it is....the good, the bad, and the ugly. Despite missing a few levers, which can be replaced, and a couple of cosmetic flaws, this is your chance to own a Mooney steel guitar. If you want options, this thing has you covered.
Weighs in at about 70 lbs. in the Thomas tooled case.

Last edited by steve takacs on 7 Sep 2018 1:44 pm; edited 40 times in total

Barrett Williams

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2013 9:31 pm    

I just bought a rebuilt Emmons PP from Tom.. amazing resto.. I can only imagine what one of his personal guitars plays and sounds like..

steve takacs

Post  Posted 10 Jun 2013 4:18 pm     Mooney photos now up

Mooney photos are now up and I will post more when I return to the USA June 14th. Ron, thanks for reminding me I had these photos up on the Forum already. stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 20 Jun 2013 9:05 pm     New Mooney fretboard gratis from Tom Mooney

bumpo... Tom Mooney is in the process of sending me a new original Mooney fretboard, GRATIS, for this guitar. Thanks a lot, Tom. steve t

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 4:56 am     mooney

hi steve sent you a pm

steve takacs

Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 5:43 am     mooney

Thanks, Gary, plese check your Personal Messages. stevet

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 10:55 am    

Hey Steve, love to see some pix of the forward pushing knee levers, good buddy! Really close in details of the mechanics of how it works, and what each lever does as far as raises/lowers, would be very helpful as I rethink the design of my own left knee forward.

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2013 4:04 pm     mooney

hi steve sent pics of the carted and dbeard dobro to your e-mail address
gary

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 6 Jul 2013 1:41 pm     mooney

hi steve did you get the pics I sent to your e;mail address?
thanks gary

steve takacs

Post  Posted 6 Jul 2013 6:34 pm    

Gary, Got the photos and sent an email. John, sorry for the delay. I have not forgotten about the photos. steve t

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2013 5:04 pm    

Better hurry, I can hold my breath only so long! Laughing

steve takacs

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 1:59 pm     Mooney forward lever linkage

John, sorry for the delay.
The third photo shows the linkage the best that has the two forward levers. The right forward lever is missing though as are two verticals. All the parts are already on the guitar for those three changes except for the three levers thtemselves.

Also included is a photo from the changer end showing the positions of all the ends of all the rods.

As the left forward lever is pushed easily using the knee it moves the longer bar to its right which engages a smaller bar perpendicular to it. The smaller bar end up moving and other small bar perpendicular to it with engages the long bar which spans the width of the guitar. That long bar is attached to the bellcrank. Whew!!!!

Hope this helps you.

John McClung

Olympia WA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 3:47 pm    

Aha! I see, completely different mechanical way of moving a bell crank, but I can see how this would work, thanks for the great pix, Steve.

What changes does this lever have, and how far is the travel, how stiff is the action?

steve takacs

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2013 9:03 pm     Smooth and very little travel on forard lever.

John, this change is super smooth and travels maybe half an inch and raises third string. I'm away from the guitar but will give you the change later when I'm back at the house to which we are moving in near Fargo. Yeah, THAT Fargo. Smile

I'd like to thank Tom Mooney for providing the new fretboard, stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 14 Apr 2014 10:13 am     Mooney D10

bumpo steve t

Gary Glisson

munford, tn 38058
Post  Posted 10 May 2014 2:45 pm     mooney

hi steve hope all is well with you ? wanted to ask if you would take $2500.00 for the mooney?
thanks gary

steve takacs

Post  Posted 11 May 2014 9:19 pm     thanks gary

Thanks, Gary ,Still recovering these past 4 months from shoulder and hip infection. I appreciate the offer but will hold onto it for now. If it sells, fine, if not also fine. stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 3:51 am     Mooney on market again

BUMP thx steve takacs

Last edited by steve takacs on 12 Oct 2014 9:49 pm; edited 2 times in total

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 3:56 am     Mooney on market again

BUMP thx steve takacs

Last edited by steve takacs on 12 Oct 2014 9:53 pm; edited 2 times in total

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 5:18 pm    

gary...i think what steve means is 'get lost with your lowball offer'! especially from someone who lists his music store's worth of instruments as a testament to his pocketbook.

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 7:10 pm     The Enforcer

And now we know why they call chris ivey "MisterTell It Like It Is" and "The Enforcer"

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 10:00 pm    

sorry steve...i know i should stay out of this.
i take back anything i ever said that may have offended anyone....ever!

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Sep 2014 11:41 pm     thanks Chris

Not at all chris. i know the guitar is worth more than $ 2500 OThers may disagree ., i mean "come on, man...it even sports bowling alley hardwood for that special " bowling tone". Wink thanks stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:16 pm     bumpo

bumpo

steve takacs

Post  Posted 5 Oct 2014 5:16 pm     bumpo

bumpo