The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Copedent Idea
Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2013 5:06 pm    

Sez Adamson's video has me dreaming of playing C6, but I only have an S-10 5X5. Offering this copedent for comment:

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2013 8:33 pm     Another approach

The problem, as I see it, is that you lose the sound of the E9th chromatic strings. Also, the C6th C > C# and A > Bb levers are missing.

I solved these problems by raising the pitch of C6th to D6th, and making the E9th changes relative to D instead of E. Here's how it works:

It's missing P4 of the D-10 and the low changes of the E9th, but it still gets about 90% of C6th and 60% of E9th on an S-10 guitar.

I've been using an 8-string version of this in recent years with great success on folk-rock and western swing gigs. It wouldn't cut it on a commercial country gig, though. Too much of the E9th is missing.

Rich Peterson

Moorhead, MN
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2013 9:11 pm    

I see. I was basing off the Jimmy Day copedent, thinking I had everything covered. Very clever getting double duty out of LKL.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 8:05 am    

Confused. Are you trying to make your own 10 string universal. I first took you post to mean you wanted to play C6th and wondered why you just didn't tune it to C6th and put all the C6th changes on it. That would make a killer C6th guitar. But if it's your only guitar and you need to keep the E9th changes, I still don't think I would go that way. Maybe just take what you can from a regular 12 string E9/B6 uni and pick the changes you are most apt to use.

At one time, I even had my C6th set up to where I could get the typical E9th A & B pedal licks. All it required was lowering the E strings to D (giving the sound of letting off the A pedal on E9, and if you raise the A strings to Bb, using the Bb along with pedal 6 and a lever that I had to raise string 3 to D (which had other uses too), all of those together gave you a Bb. It was used to go from the pedal 6 F chord position (1 chord) to the Bb (4 chord) and by letting off the lever that had raised the 3rd string to D back to C, then that also created the sound of the release of the A pedal on E9th. Let off all the pedals and levers and you had your 5 chord (C). It didn't give me everything on the E9th, but I could play a majority of songs that were normally on E9, on the C6th and sound just like the e9th neck. I used to be in a band that did a TV show that backed up local artists, and used to used this setup to play "Bud's Bounce" as the opening/closing song for the show. Only drawback is, you are using knee levers more than pedals, and if you are not good a using levers quickly, you might have issues. It was really interesting watching the playback of the show and watching my knees flying all over the place. I did this only as a by-product of having the levers that raised string 4 from A to Bb and a lever that also raised string 3 from C to D. It wouldn't work without those. The idea came from a conversation I had with Bobby Black. I believe at the time, he either had the changes I mentioned or was thinking about them. I don't remember the whole conversation, but we were discussing it because everyone was trying to get C6 sounds from the E9 neck, and we wondered if we could get E9 sounds from the C6 neck. I do not recommend this setup now, but it was cool in my early days, as the 12 string E9/B6 tuning was not widely used (if at all) or I was not really aware of it. Most Uni's you heard about in those days was Maurice's Bb6 uni.

I think If I was already an E9th player, that tuning you posted would confuse and just not work for me.

Larry Allen

Kapaa, Kauai,Hawaii
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 9:47 am     Copedant

Here's a set up that covers a lot of C6 sounds on an E9. Larry Smile

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2013 11:30 am    

Interesting Larry.