The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Hughey's C6 KL: 10 (+2) & 5 (-2)
Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 12:04 am    

My Carter D10 C6 neck CKR raises 10 a whole tone (+2) & lowers (edited:) 5 a whole tone (-2). Its kind of like a minor version of P5. It came setup that way, but I haven't seen it on any other copedent charts edited: (except John Hugheys). Im still a newb on C6, and just curious if anyone else has this change or has any info as to its use. I've been thinking of someday changing it to a reverse P6, but there is still plenty to learn on the standard pedals and levers.

Last edited by Clete Ritta on 1 Jul 2013 7:45 pm; edited 3 times in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 6:25 am    

deleted

Last edited by Richard Sinkler on 2 Jul 2013 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total

Lucky Oceans

Fremantle, W Australia, Australia
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 7:09 am    

I've just put a similar change on my new Williams and I love it! The difference is that I lower the 5th string a whole tone and raise the tenth a whole. Big, contrary motion D minor7th and it can be set up so you can lower the 5th string a half step before the tenth string kicks in, so you get a C flat 5 on a feel half pedal.

I've been thinking about the potential of raising and lowering the fourth string C6th. Like the 6th string E9th, it's the thickest plain string so will move a tone down and a tone and a half up easily....Only problem is that only gives you duplication of adjacent strings....

but wait - lower 4 a whole tone and its like taking your A pedal off on E 9th i- Amin to C in open position. Do the same while playing an F chord in open position and its like using the A Pedal with the B pedal on E 9th on the 7th fret....

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 1 Jul 2013 7:24 pm    

My error in the post and title now corrected appropriately. My apologies Embarassed. Please disregard Mr. Sinklers comment above, as he was referring to the original post of string 4 lower, which is unusual. Just as Lucky has, its string 5, not 4. It sure does yield a big beautiful minor 7th across the neck. I also get a half stop on string 5. I see now that this is exactly what John Hughey had on his LKL. Though he also had the reverse P6 on LKR, I think I'll leave this as is. Wink

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2013 5:59 am    

The dropping of string 5 to F also gives you an F note that is missing from the middle of the set of strings. I lower mine on a pedal to the right of the regular pedal 6. If used together, the lowering of string 5 gets rid if the ninth tone and gives a root tone in the middle where there was none before. I also raise string 1 to D# on that pedal to give me a 7th tone up high. Both pedals together give an F7 from string 1 all the way to string 10. I use it often.
Tab:

LKL  LKV  LKR   6  7  8  9  RKL   RKR
D_______________________D#
E____________________F
C______D_______________________B_____D
A______Bb___Bb_______________________B
G________________F#_____F
E____________________D#____D
C_C#_______________________B
A__________________________G
F_E______________F#
C_A______________D

My first 5 pedals are used on E9th, but I may put the "reverse" pedal 6 back on pedal 5 or on LKV

Ron Deardorff

Capitola, CA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2013 6:34 am    

And I believe that this is a change Herby Wallace swore by. It seems to be prominently featured in a lot of his tab courses.