The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MS: Gulfport Steel Guitar Show (Deep South Steel Guitars)
Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2013 4:59 am    

Larry, we will make room for you on the program. Glad to have Miss Jean DeVore on the program also. Looking forward to this one. I see that Bill Ferguson already wants Jean on his program. Can't wait to see what Rudy Osborne thinks of this. (Rudy was Dottie West's steel guitarist and I bet he will be tickled pink also-just like I am). She can take up all my part on the program too..
Bill F - I will start work on the schedule early this coming week. Start time might have to be earlier than 7pm on Friday too. lol Really lots of great professional interest in what we are doing here on the coast and I am so very proud of all the players and friends that support us. thanks. More later.
I do have email from Rudy, and he will be with us. Will put him on the programs early each day per his request. So glad that he is coming down.
One thing I want to do during our two day show is to have portions to really appreciate the band leaders, singers etc who have gotten the music jobs and paid the steel players and musicians etc. If not for them, we would not be able to have shows like this one. (Band leaders like Jerry Jaye, Country Jack, Ellis Olsen Ben O'Dell, Ray Harrison, and lots others).Details on the way. Stand by. And, REALLY BIG SURPRISE GUESTS are working on appearing.

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2013 8:54 am     Gulfport show

Sounds Great to Me, see ya soon. Rudy Very Happy
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2013 2:03 pm    

Thanks to everyone, computer has been down a few days and just got back up today. Thanks to Bill S., Bill F., and Rudy. Really looking forward to the show. Have never been to the Coast. Larry

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2013 2:46 pm     rooms

What is the Hotel of choice for this show, need to get our reservations. Thanks, Larry

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2013 5:28 am     Gulfport Steel show

Reservations can be made at the Ramada Inn, 9415 Highway 49-just a quarter mile south of the I-10 Gulfport exit no. 34. Phone number is 228 868 8200 and remind them of our show, etc. (The Inn will be on your right).
Show will be at our VFW Post no. 4526, 15206 Dedeaux Rd, Gulfport. Dedeaux Rd intersects Highway 49 about a mile north of the I-10 Gulfport exit. Go east on Dedeaux for a bout a quarter mile and the VFW will be on your left. Look for it as you pass under the red light for the fire station. Stay in left lane soon as you exit Highway 49 going east.
Thanks for all this wonderful support from all of you. Have safe trips.

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2013 12:59 pm     Gulfport RV campsite

The information on the RV campsite is on a thread all by itself under the title of "Gulfport RV Campsite". I have talked with the mgr and they have a pretty good rate. Just tell them you are here for the steel guitar show. Site is very well maintained clean and very convenient to our VFW on Dedeaux Rd. Just 2 miles away.
Bill Stafford

Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2013 8:00 am     Ttt

BUMP

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2013 7:37 pm     Gulfport Steel show

Just confirmed that Lynn Owsley, newly inducted into the International Steel Guitar Hall of Fame, and Billy Robinson , already a member of the HOF, will be on our stage during our November 1 and 2 show.
Bill Stafford

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2013 2:51 am     Gulfport Steel show

Glad to announce that one of the best thumb pickers in the business, BOB SAXTON, will open our show with his Pine Belt All Star TV and Brandon Opry Band featuring Billy Carr, from the Brandon Opry, and myself with the TV part of this wonderful and most talented group of musicians. Getting to hear Billy Carr from the very beginning of our steel guitar weekend will most certainly give everyone else something to shoot for. Bob will also be with the PATSY TRIGG show to start off the Christmas Season with her "Granny Got Run Over by A Reindeer". Patsy has a new Christmas song to debut also. OFF TO A GREAT START FOR THIS GULFPORT STEEL GUITAR SHOW.
Anther thing I want to do this weekend is for all of the steel players to show appreciation to the BAND LEADERS who have been hiring and paying band members and especially the steel players salaries. More on this later. Thanks for everyone's support.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 24 Sep 2013 11:08 am    

I, for one, am so grateful to everyone that has ever given me a playing job.....I think that is a great idea, Bill. I'm definitely looking forward to this great time. I don't have anything on the books for this weekend at all......and I'm not going to either. I've missed too many of these over the last several years.....it will be good to see many of my dear friends......would love the chance to pick with my good friend and Hall of Fame player Lynn Owlsley. Hint...Hint....Bill....
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

J PARKER

Meridian Miss
Post  Posted 26 Sep 2013 12:12 pm     Show

Im excited and looking forward to being there on that Saturday. Will have some items for sale as well. Jim

Tommy Shown

Denham Springs, La.
Post  Posted 28 Sep 2013 10:21 am    

I am glad Lynn is going to be there. I remember when he played with ET. I met him many years ago, in Port Allen, La. Ernest was doing a show at a venue there. Lynn autographed an Ernest Tubb album. I bought at the club. Lynn is a great player, and it would be an honor to see him again.
Tommy Shown
SMFTBL

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 7:13 am    

The list of great players continue to grow.

Bill Stafford and his trusty assistants have made this a really great show.
I am looking forward to this event, so I can enjoy the fantastic music and visit with some friends.

It is going to be fun, fun, fun.
Look out Corky, here I come.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Charlie Moore

Deville, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 1:45 pm     Gulfport show

Bill,I got it on the calender,Sue and I will be there..Charlie...

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 3:40 pm     Gulfport Steel show

Charlie, will be good to see you. Been to long. Will try to fit you in the schedule. This will be our very biggest and most players ever. Don't know what is happening here to do that either. Just sitting back and enjoying. Tell all in the family hello and give them my best.

Corbin Tittle

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2013 6:04 am     Ray Harrison

Ray I'm always ready to play behind you, we go a LOOONG way back. Would love to have a song list in advance, and if possible charts, but not etched in stone.This is Paradiddle Tittle signing off!

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 9:18 am    

Corky, as soon as I'm notified of what I'm doing, I'll give you a call. We're still discussing a list with the players who have ask me to sing with them.
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 12:17 pm     Gulfport Steel show

Ray, you will have a program of your own on Saturday afternoon. Since we are appreciating the band leaders who have hired and sometimes fired steel guitarists, you will have the pick of the crop for your program as you did when you hired and fired. Without players like yourself, us wannabee steel guitarists would have never made a red cent. Turnabout is fair play this weekend.

Corbin Tittle

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 12:57 pm     Gulfport Steel Guitar Show

Ray, did you ever fire me in Key West? MOST of those daze are just a mite fuzzy. I got a special set of sticks just for Texans. WHOOOYAH!

Corbin Tittle

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2013 1:10 pm     Gulfport Steel Guitar Show

Also Arazonians!

Bill Stafford

Gulfport,Ms. USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 1:42 am     Gulfport Steel show

We will be almost surrounded by Arizonians when Margie Mays hits town. Margie was a recent hit with her steel guitar performance at the International Steel Guitar Convention in St. Louis. She is enroute to Breeden's Studio in Nashville and will be with us for our November Gulfport Steel Show. She is versatile in Hawaiian, Gospel, CW and anything else she decides to play-either pedal or non pedal steel guitar. Margie will be on our Saturday program. Her recent album, recorded at Breeden's, is a must have for Gospel Music lovers and I am hoping she will have some available during our show here. Maybe we will be able to have Margie and Ivan Reddington play a few real pretty Hawaiian Music song for us. Ivan, by the way, just happens to be the best USA Hawaiian Music steel guitarist, besides Margie, of course. Ivan has just appeared at the Joilet, Illinois Hawaiian Convention. No matter what your steel guitar likes are, they will be more than satisfied during our Gulfport event. I am amazed and really thankful for the support of all these superb players and the musicians that come from afar to give us the professional music to play with. Thanks to everyone. Saturday's schedule is still being manipulated versus the time schedule. Lots of fun too.

Danny Harrell

Livingston, Louisiana, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 9:10 am    

Wow, looks like a great line up. Cant wait to see all the greats, Bill Stafford, Rudy Osborne, RJ Buras, Royce Tarver and all the other players. I see that my good friends Billy Carr and Charlie Moore will be there as well. Billy and Charlie both are super-players, I need to learn a few licks from these guys! Looking forward to seeing all my friends there. Hey Billy, show me something!!!!

pdl20

Benton, Ar . USA,
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 10:19 am     Gulfport show.

Im going to be sitting front row so I can steel some licks from Billy Carr Shocked lol
Mullen G 2 D 10 8 & 6 , Emmons D 10 8& 6 Evans Amps , Revelation,MPX1,Steward PA 1000 rack, Steelers Choice Cross country Seat ,Hilton Pedal, Curt Mangan strings . When everything is coming your way, you're in the wrong lane.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2013 3:52 pm    

Miss Jean DeVore and myself are really looking forward to attending this show for the first time.
We look forward to a good time and meeting a lot of
new friends, and I'm sure we will know some already.
Glad to see that Lynn Owsley will be there. Been aquainted with him a few years now, and of course
Buck and Mitzi are always a pleasure to see. See everyone real soon. Larry Baker and Jean DeVore

Ben ODell

Agricola, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2013 5:54 am     Uh-oh

Ray:
Sounds like Corky might be planning a left handed, metric stick.....AMBUSH
He....He!!!