The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Opening of Ft Smith Museum
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 7:59 am    

This evening the new Ft Smith Museum of History will officially open. There is a lot of the Museum devoted to area music during a 50 year period from 1945 to 1995. There will be a concert this evening beginning at 7:00 PM. The steel guitar was very prominent in Ft Smith music during that period which included Hall of Fame steeler Bob White and Ben Jack and other steel players. I am honored to be the steel player with the backup band and our band "The Good Old Boys" will have a slot in the concert. There were many rock groups came out of Ft Smith during that time and some performed world wide and many of those musicians are returning from all over to be a part of this celebration.

Keith Hilton

248 Laurel Road Ozark, Missouri 65721
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 1:22 pm    

Isaac Parker

GeneRector

Normangee, Texas USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2016 2:40 pm    

Smile Howdy! Next time I am up that way in Arkansas I will stop by and visit the museum. Always, Gene

J R Rose

Keota, Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2016 4:25 pm    

Hey Jerry, Give us an update on how the event went. Hope you are doing fine now after your surgery. Bobby Neil is one who worked for Ben Jack and went on to work with Ricky Nelson and died in the plane crash.
Bob White was married to Sammi Smith at the time she had her big hit, "Help Me Make It Thought the Night".
And of course Bob White played for Hank Thompson for many, many years. The list goes on but that is all I can think of now. J.R.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 5:42 pm    

Bob White played for Hank Thompson from 1953 to about 1960 or 1961.
Bob was also the bands road manager for all those years.

I visited Bob in Fort Smith, for about 3--4 days in 1977.

Roger

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2016 6:08 pm    

J R, the event was pretty much a rock concert and the volume of the rock bands was head crushing loud. When we went on to do the "country" portion the bottom fell out of the sound volume. Maybe my ears were fried by then. My Tinnitus took a real hit that night and has not settled down yet. There was standing room only but the room was really not very large. Probably 200 people in a room that should hold about 125. I did sit in wit a couple of rock bands and it was actually enjoyable. Bob White was responsible for Hank Thompson's sound (I believe). I was hired one time to play a event center gig with Hank Thompson and Bob White was sitting in the audience. He should have been playing it instead of me. I tried to arrange it but couldn't. I don't know if he even had his guitar with him or not but I bet he could have done fine on mine. That was a very ackward situation. Bob and I were pretty close friends. Just poor planning by the event planners.
Jerry