The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thanks Donna.......
Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 8:48 am    

Hi Donna,

You closed the "End of Life" topic just when needed, as it was beginning to deteriorate into forbidden religious territory. Thank you (and b0b)for being so tolerant in the meantime.

In the beginning, I had intended for this topic to focus on our earthly life, not the afterlife that the comments focused on. But, the comments were so interesting and respectful of our diversity that I remained silent as to my original intentions. As many others commented, I am also comfortable with my beliefs about the afterlife.

I was initialy interested in what we need to do BEFORE death to eliminate the clutter of photos, plaques, shadowboxes, musical instruments and accessories etc, that we accumulate over the years, but that upon our death suddenly revert from treasures to junk that our family must dispose of. And more importantly, the need to tighten up our relationships that may have become worn, faded, and threadbare.

Maybe we don't need to leave this life with everything in order so our descendants won't be inconvenienced? Maybe they need to be reminded of the tentative tenure of life, and the need to focus on the future.

Maybe?

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 8:59 am    

There is disorder after a death no matter how prepared one is. My mother died 4 years ago yesterday and I an remember going through her things with my sister after she died. It is a very emotional time and sensitivity is mandatory to get through it.

there are services that can handle estates. For me, we had antiques dealers come in first, and for everything else, a company comes in and takes it for charity and gives you something to deduct from your taxes.

Alan Brookes

Brummy living in Southern California
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 9:42 am    

That sounds a good topic, Gene. You should start a new one, but this time be very specific in the title.
Maybe "Arrangements for Your Estate after death" or something like that.

Archie Nicol

Ayrshire, Scotland
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 11:14 am    

Alan, I like kittens, DYK? Winking

Arch.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 2:49 pm    

The biggest concern for members of the Forum as a whole must be what happens to the Steel Guitar Forum if Bobby Lee walks under a bus. Crying or Very sad Whoa!

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 2:51 pm    

Nice post Gene, you are a true Gentleman with great morals.
The thread was very interesting indeed and i think it was very nice. There were a few moments i thought 'Wow' but oh well lol... and as you know we are a very 'Eccentric' lot Very Happy with lot's of idea's about the world, especially Politics and Utopia Winking

Well received Geno, take care!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 2:56 pm    

Ditto what Larry said. I think it's good food for thought and I have a lot of respect for Gene...his thoughts and sentiments.

I didn't learn anything new on the topic though, but I sure learned a lot about the people replying to it. Laughing

Having said that, I think it's run it's course with the several pages of philosophy and theology and there's not much to add by continuing it here. But, that's up to someone else. Smile

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 3:29 pm    

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=2076263#2076263

I've opened up the above thread, where we can discuss the purpose of the Forum, and what it should be used for. I shall be interested to hear the opinions of other members.

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 7:19 pm     Re: Thanks Donna.......

Gene Jones wrote:
Hi Donna,

You closed the "End of Life" topic just when needed, as it was beginning to deteriorate into forbidden religious territory. Thank you (and b0b)for being so tolerant in the meantime.

In the beginning, I had intended for this topic to focus on our earthly life, not the afterlife that the comments focused on. But, the comments were so interesting and respectful of our diversity that I remained silent as to my original intentions. As many others commented, I am also comfortable with my beliefs about the afterlife.

I was initialy interested in what we need to do BEFORE death to eliminate the clutter of photos, plaques, shadowboxes, musical instruments and accessories etc, that we accumulate over the years, but that upon our death suddenly revert from treasures to junk that our family must dispose of. And more importantly, the need to tighten up our relationships that may have become worn, faded, and threadbare.

Maybe we don't need to leave this life with everything in order so our descendants won't be inconvenienced? Maybe they need to be reminded of the tentative tenure of life, and the need to focus on the future.Maybe?

Gene, I felt like the intentions of your thread were clear, and I really enjoyed reading the posts. I watched closely, however, knowing it would be just a matter of time before things would take a turn and the thread would have to be closed. I know it was abrupt, and I really appreciate your understanding. Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Bob Watson

Champaign, Illinois, U.S.
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2013 11:25 pm    

Gene,
I've always enjoyed your input to the Steel Forum. Your "End Of Life" topic was interesting and somewhat enlightening, and the respect and tolerance that the vast majority of this Forum's members showed each other made me proud to be a member.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2013 9:41 am    

There's a thread about being comfortable with death at a philosopher's forum that was mentioned in another SGF thread. http://forums.philosophyforums.com/threads/trying-to-be-comfortable-with-death-60092.html

My dear Watson, hope things are going well. Wink
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 8:36 am    

Quote: "My dear Watson, hope things are going well."

Cal, thanks. The philosopher's forum nailed it with wit.

I am resigned to the sureness of death and I believe that our days are numbered from the day of our birth when the countdown begins, and that we have no control over the date that our life will end.

I believe that we can make our days on earth more or less stressful by the way we live, but I believe that the date of our death is predetermined.

What happens after that only the dead will know.

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 8:41 am    

Gene, here's another one about preparing for the Big Day. Practical advice. http://lifehacker.com/5992722/one-day-youre-going-to-die-heres-how-to-prepare-for-it
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Gene Jones

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 9:08 am    

Cal, the referenced URL has great advice for anyone nearing the end of their life, and even when they are still young.

Fortunately, I received some great advice and established a FAMILY TRUST several years ago. It covers everything from our oil and gas interests to the personal contents in my dressor drawers, including my musical instruments and accessories.

Legally, everything is in order, but some unresolved conflicts with relationships are still pending and I still have to work on those.

Alan Brookes

Post  Posted 8 Apr 2013 9:37 am    

The end of life is scary. Yes, we've all been dead before, for billions of years, but the idea of nonexistence is profoundly horrific to the extent that religions have been created to pretend that death is not the end. Unfortunately, and I hope that I'm wrong, evidence suggests that, once we're dead and brain activity stops, we no longer exist. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad