The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  About Cables
Dan Beller-McKenna

Durham, New Hampshire, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 4:31 am    

I know that George-L cables let through more highs, for better or worse. But if one is buffering with, say, a Goodrich Matchbox or Sarno Freeloader or such, does it really make any difference what cables come after the buffer?

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 6:28 am    

In my case it did.

I have a Goodrich Matchbro (original model with tone control) that has a Matchbox, essentially, built in. Also a Hilton VP that also has a low impedance output.

Using George L's on a Franklin D-10 (and the Matchbro and Hilton) trying out a Quilter Travis Toy 12 amp I had way too much highs and couldn't find a satisfactory EQ setting. I switched to another steel that had generic guitar cables and in two minutes I had THE best steel sound. I switched the George L's on the Franklin for the generic cables and there too was the sound.

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 7:47 am    

According to Mr. Sarno, no- at least in usage w/ the Black Box. I’m 98% certain that holds true d/t the buffer circuit, not the tube component. It was conveyed to me that it is appropriate to use low capacitance cable such as George L’s before a BB, then regular guitar cables for the remaining path.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"

Pete McAvity

St. Louis, Missouri USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2023 11:49 am    

According to Mr. Sarno, no- at least in usage w/ the Black Box. I’m 98% certain that holds true d/t the buffer circuit, not the tube component. It was conveyed to me that it is appropriate to use low capacitance cable such as George L’s before a BB, then regular guitar cables for the remaining path.

They say "thats how it goes". I say "that ain't the way it stays!"