The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dave Knight
Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 12:53 pm    

Wondering if anyone knows the whereabouts of Dave Knight, a fine steel player who lived in Coon Rapids, Minnesota in the late '70s - early '80s. It's possible that Knight was his stage name. He could play that C6 neck as well as anyone I ever heard in this neck of the woods. I have heard he may be in either Iowa or California. Any anecdotes from people who knew him would be welcome.

Billy Tonnesen

R.I.P., Buena Park, California
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 3:09 pm    

If this is the same Dave Knight who livied in the Fontana Area in So.Calif. for many dyears, you might want to contact his buddy, Forum Member, Jim Bob Sedgwick. They both moved back to either Missouri or Arkansas about ten years ago.

Roger Shackelton

MINNESOTA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2013 1:05 am    

Dave Knight Was A Good Friend Of Mine, When I Lived In Minnesota In The 1970s. Dave Was The Best Steel Picker In The Twin Cities Area. He Played Quite Often At The Famous/Infamous "Flame Cafe".

Billy You Are Correct Jim Bob & Dave Are Living In Missouri.

you Are Correct Jack, "Knight" Was His Stage Name. Dave Moved To The Twin Cities In 1971.

Roger

Jack Hanson

San Luis Valley, USA
Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 8:43 am    

Thanks to both Billy and Roger for the above information. I took a few lessons from Dave at his Minnesota home many, many years ago. A real nice guy and a great musician.

Mike Cass

Post  Posted 28 Feb 2013 9:29 am    

I spent many a night listening to Dave playing @ The Flame Club w/Chill Helmin, and all I can say is..... wow!! That was way before I was old enough to be in there, btw.
What a fine player, and my mentor. I guess Dave and Terry Bethel are responsible for my misspent youth Smile sure would love to hear Dave Knight play again.........worked with Terry 2 weeks ago, he's still tearin' it up w/Melvin!

Hey Roger..remember when you, Dave and I went downtown to see "The Exorcist"? I remember needing a biiiig drink after watching that movie...through my fingers. We went right across the street to some bar and got to it if I remember correctly. The movie didnt seem to bother you much, but Dave and I were a mess LOL!!

Gary Spaeth

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2016 4:07 pm    

i remember him on live broadcasts on ktcr in around 67. they were from the frontier club in fridley. i remember being mesmerized by his playing through the 100 miles of static in my dad's 64 chev radio. waltz of the angels with the evans sisters is one i remember being great.

Bill Harrison

Montana, USA
Post  Posted 3 Mar 2017 2:29 pm     Dave Knight

Dave came up from California in 1966 at Christmas time with a guy named Billy Dark. I joined the group in Coos Bay, Oregon and played bass for them. We left there and went up to Tacoma looking for work And I introduced him to Speedy Price, Bill Gannon and Cole Shelton. I think his real name is Dave Forehand. He also played good bass and guitar. We lost touch and I have wondered over the years what happened to him. Another friend and great steel player that dropped off the edge is Frank Hardcastle. Does anybody have a lead on him?