The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Shout-Out to the Forum, and Teachers, my 6 month check in.
Travis Lyon

From NJ, USA lives in Dublin, IE
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 8:32 am    

I was practicing last night and finally, the one thing I wanted to since I bought my MSA Classic happened. I played the intro to "Panama Red" at full speed cleanly, albeit pick blocked, not palm blocked. I'm by no means a great player, and I have a long way to go, but I feel that in the past 6 months I've made tremendous gains on the PSG, and I owe a ton of it to the forum, which has, along with its many generous members, provided me with essential advice and information that I would have never found otherwise.

I would also like to especially thank Gary Lee Gimble, Paul Vendemmia, and Marc Muller, who have helped me out more than words can say in my quest to play this contraption.

Now feel free to tear me a new one on technique or whatever you feel like. This is a video of me playing 2 weeks ago here in DC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA8zSKD5JZE

Joe Gall

DeLand, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 9:31 am    

From one newbie to another, great job brother. I've been at it for a year and a half myself and I am with you. This is one tough machine to get a handle on, but it sounds to me you are on your way.

This site and the folks here are certainly our best hope that's for sure. I think without this site and the folks here, guys like you and I would pretty much be screwed to put it bluntly...

Michael Hummel

Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 9:51 am    

Really nice, Travis. You've figured out something that can take some guys a long time to figure out -- when to play simple things behind the singer, and when to add that fill.

Nice sound too -- I hear a phaser on there subtly which is a nice unique touch.

I'm about at the same stage as you (6 months) and I hope I sound that good on stage!

Mike

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 26 Feb 2013 11:16 am    

Quote:
in the past 6 months I've made tremendous gains on the PSG

And speaking of gains, this fellow who goes by the name Travis, recently completed his thesis at a prestigious DC university and graduating with honors. I'll tell ya, ain't nuffin worse than a dumb musician. And its not like I'm the sharpest tool in the shed...the only thing I ever wrote on paper that was clout worthy, was a two page research paper analyzing how residual Charmin interacts with Linen Scent Clorox.

Quote:
tear me a new one on technique or whatever

So Travis, ya gotta work on your mouth thing as it hangs open whilst you play. You see, we're approaching stink bug season and ya don't want an uninvited guest. I found one inside my stove stop espresso maker while drawing a hit. Needless to say, well,...yukky!

Your dedication to PSG has earned you unlimited steel lessons, @no chargie. I'm certainly not gonna file Chapter 11 or 13 due to lack of lesson revenue but your enthusiasm to said instrument is enlightening. Hopefully one good deed will turn another with me getting some much needed tutelage.