The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Thought About Giving Up The Steel Guitar
Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 6:52 am    

Well I thought seriously about giving up Steel Guitar playing after a 28 year run. I've just never got that good on it and I thought it might be time to concentrate my afforts more toward learning how to play lead guitar. The wife didn't want me to do this because she loves hearing me play the Steel. And I still think most of you guys are much better pickers than me. I'll probably never be able to catch up with you all especially at my age. Anyway looks like it was a hasty decision and not the right one, I'm still gonna hang on for awhile . . . Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Nick Reed on 23 Feb 2013 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:21 am    

Quote:
However, most of you guys are much better players than me and theres no way I can keep up with you, especially at my age.

Nick, I've never heard you, but is it possible you could say the same thing about your (guitar) playing? At least as a steel player you would remain a larger fish in a much smaller pond.. Oh Well

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:47 am    

Nick, I do not know you but I believe that is a decision you will regret. I played lead years ago and after getting my first steel in 1979, lead guitar just was not the same. That being said I respect your decision.

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:57 am    

Quote:
However, most of you guys are much better players than me and theres no way I can keep up with you, especially at my age.

Nick, it's not a race. Your wife loves it, you love it...

Shorty Smith

Columbus, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 7:59 am    

Nick I respect your decision also, but I played lead guitar for 20 years, I was having trouble with my left shoulder and Doyle Grisham, a dear friend, told me to get a Steel guitar which bought a new Emmons D10, I practiced on the steel for 5 years, at home, then put my 1970 telecaster in the case and it been there ever since and still in the closet. I'm 80 now and still play with a great band one to two nights a week. I'm not great but dependable and play decent and have had a playing job for the past 20 years. I love my Steel Guitar and will play long as I'm healthy and feel good, Shorty

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:11 am    

Nick I've never met you but I have been to your website and watched your videos and believe me there are a lot of guys that wish they could play like you, including me.

If I were you, I'd have another cup of coffee or a mist and coke and rethink about quiting the steel and it might be a good time to listen to your wife Whoa!

Good luck with whatever you decide

Tommy Janiga

New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:18 am    

I'd say do what you've got the urge to do, and go with it in a big way, but don't lock the door and throw away the key. (Especially since your wife likes it!) Smile

I play different instruments too, and I sometimes go for long periods with just one of them.

The main thing is enjoying what you do, and following your motivation.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:34 am    

There are things you can't get on steel, like the percussiveness of the guitar and there are things the guitar can't do, like the long ringing notes, no matter what style of music we play.
In a pathetic way to put it, I would like to say brother guitar, sister steel. Oh well... If I ever give up, I would give up both.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:38 am    

I say follow your heart and start working out on the Tele.

I would also say....don't sell your steel guitar equipment! Seller's remorse is hard to get over. I know you've got some good steel guitars. Replacing them would probably be a lot more difficult (and expensive) than selling them.

Lee

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:45 am    

There is no need to give up the steel. I've heard you and know you can pick. We all get in a funk once in a while and think about something else. But, steel is your instrument.

Michael Wolfe

Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 8:57 am     Re: I'm Giving Up the Steel Guitar

Nick Reed wrote:
Well I've about decided to end my Steel Guitar playing after 28 years. I've never really got that good on them, so I think it's time to concentrate my afforts more at learning how to play lead. I've got my Telecaster's sittin here just callin out and saying "PLAY ME NICK" Laughing
I think the only way to ever get decent on them is to quit the Steel cold turkey and get them (outta sight - outta mind). That way I can concentrate in this direction. Trust me, My wife ain't happy at all with my decision because she loves hearing me play Steel. However, most of you guys are much better players than me and theres no way I can keep up with you, especially at my age. Anyway it's been a great run, I'm gonna miss it, but I'll peep in here on the forum from time to time and still agravate you some. Very Happy

I play both spanish guitar and steel, and I make an effort to not practice either of them as much as the other, so it works out real well.

The important thing is to have fun. I stopped playing in groups about 2-3 years ago and the nice thing about playing in your bedroom is that you can play whatever you want.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 9:12 am    

Just finished watching your "Way to Survive" video, and I have to say, your smile WHILE you're playing really says it all.

I've played guitar for forty years, always dreaming of a time when I could afford a pedal steel and have the freedom to learn to play; I'm in week three, now. Funny you should say the Telecaster is begging to be played. I keep the Tele right next to the steel, and when the learning curve gets too steep, I just plug in the six-string and bash away. Nothing in life is all black or white. Play both, I say. I've seen thousands of concerts; smiles by musicians while they're playing is pretty rare. You have something going on.

Chris LeDrew

Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 9:22 am    

Nick, you look like you know what you're doing in your atavar. That's more than enough credibility around here! Smile

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 9:34 am    

Quote:
I've got my Telecaster's sittin here just callin out and saying "PLAY ME NICK"

Absolutely, Nick - then play your Telecaster. Ain't nothing wrong with that. I've been on a guitar binge the last few years, but still play steel - they're not mutually exclusive. In fact, I think they go together just fine. Definitely don't sell your stuff, this feeling with undoubtedly pass.

We may get down over spring break in March, I'll let you know if it works out. If we do, we're probably staying with Jim and Lina, there's construction going on at the house now. Theoretically, I'm supposed to be doing the Nashville Vintage Guitar Show later that week in Franklin (TN, that is, not KY) even if this doesn't work out. Either way, I'll make sure I bring a Tele.

Larry Becker

Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 10:16 am    

I know first hand exactly how you feel about this, Nick, because I've been exactly in your shoes as to how you feel right now about giving up the steel..I've been a player of steel and guitar for well over 40 years, and sometimes, you get to thinking, is it all really worth it...Trust me, it IS !!!I agree with most of the posters here.. DON'T sell your stuff !!Your wife is right.. DON'T give it up , cold turkey...In my own case, I put the steel away, and went to playing guitar for a while, only to find out about a month later, I missed the steel.. I'm glad I still had it..We all get into a funk at some point in out lives, I think, and the best thing to do, for me at least, is to not make an irrational decision about something that has been a part of your life for a very long time.. It's in your soul, and your soul would be more empty without your steel guitar..There will ALWAYS be greater AND lesser people than you playing steel guitar in this world,so do what you love to do and have fun with it..I'm sure you do..
All that said, The decision is entirely yours, and good luck in whatever you choose to do..You have a lot of support here on the forum in favor of NOT giving it up... Have a great day, and remember... Keep Steelin' !!!
Show Pro D10, 9&5, Boss RV3, Fender Steel King, Fender Twin,Fender Hot Rod De Ville ,Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Gibson '61 SG. Fender Studio DeLuxe lap steel,,'59 Fender Princeton amp..1973 MSA S12

Bob Hickish

Port Ludlow, Washington, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 10:23 am    

Nick

you know ! once you start playing steel , you on the hook , no getting loose . we have all walked away at some point and we always come back -- it’s like the marriage vows .. do you take this steel guitar for better or worse -- until death do us part --
Hang in there -- your not the only one with that opinion of our own playing

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 10:26 am    

I think you should keep playing steel & quit lead playing so much,that way you'll stink equally as well on both instrument,I know I do. Laughing Laughing

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 10:53 am    

It ain't over til you put your gear for up for sale.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 11:22 am    

Nick, I can't play steel as good as 99% of the players out there, but I feel that it is not a contest, and I won't give up on tryig to learn to play the Steel Guitar. Larry

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 11:38 am    

Nick I quit a few times but it didn't help my playing any. Seriously I used to play more relaxed than I do now and that kind of messes me up at steel shows.
I am more comfortable playing regular band jobs and may just stick with that. I usually have trouble when I try to play licks that I haven't worked on enough at home.
Try not to roam too far from your comfort zone when playing out but don't quit my friend.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 11:50 am    

You should keep one of your steel guitars, an amp, seat and effects. Pack em up & stick'em under the bed. If you don't play that steel for another two years, then think about selling the remainder of your gear

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 11:51 am    

nick...i'll give ya a hunnert bucks fer yer emmonses!!

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 12:13 pm    

Nick,

Does it really have to be one or the other? Practice steel one day and the tele the next.

In the early 90s I put the steel away for 10 years. Started back in the early 2000s. It took me a few years to get back to where I was in the early 90s.

Don't make the same mistake I did. You'll regret it.

Allen Peterson

Allen Peterson

Katy, Texas
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 12:14 pm    

Nick,

Does it really have to be one or the other? Practice steel one day and the tele the next.

In the early 90s I put the steel away for 10 years. Started back in the early 2000s. It took me a few years to get back to where I was in the early 90s.

Don't make the same mistake I did. You'll regret it.

Allen Peterson

Duncan Hodge

DeLand, FL USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2013 12:36 pm    

I'll cast my lot, my friend, with the folks who say "go ahead and start playing that tele". You will probably never get good enough on the steel, or the guitar to feel that you are as good as you should be, but you can certainly get good enough on both to make you smile while you are playing.
Shoot, I quit playing steel several times a week. It's a good thing that they are too heavy to throw in the trash, or the man who takes my trash away would have back problems by now. Put you pedal steels in the closet for a while, or sell some (not all) of them, and bring the remaining ones back out when you feel like playing again.
The bottom line is that you are a musician who is probably better than 95% of the people on this planet and should keep the instruments you need until you are called to use them again.
Your Friend, Duncan