The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1969 Telecaster with Bigsby SOLD
Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Sep 2012 9:47 am    

All original, except bridge pickup and a new "aged" pickguard. Came with a non original lead pickup and did sound great. I got JM Rolph to build a correct 1969 pickup to correct specs. Sounds superb! Plays excellent.

Info on Rolph:

Jim Rolph is a legendary pickup maker who is well known for making period correct pickups even down to the wire and date stamps. He is also a gifted guitar player and has a big vintage guitar collection and compares his pickups to the old originals. Both musicians and collectors turn to him for replacing faulty pickups in their collection and Jim makes period correct pickups for names as diverse as Eric Johnson, Rolling Stones, the Eagles, Steely Dan, Mick Mars and Robben Ford.

I have a new bridge on the guitar and the original will be supplied as well. I soaked the original in Marvel Mystery oil for 2 days and got it cleaned up. I have new stainless steel, springs and set screws for the saddle height adjustment as well as stainless steel 4-40" screws for saddle length coming from Fastenal to get it put back together. Old screws, etc will be sent with guitar. Also I installed the shorter 7/8" Bigsby spring (much better for .009 set of strings on it) and the 1" original will be included.

Case is a 1963-1964 "no logo" case, excellent but handle leather is worn. These are also very collectable. Here is a sample of one that is no where as nice as mine that sold recently:

http://www.eddievegas.com/store/details/1964-ORIG-NO-LOGO-FENDER-STRAT-CASE.php

A 1968 Tele with Bigsby just sold on eBay last week for $5138.11 and had a weak pickup.

I need $4,500.00 and I will pay shipping. No PayPal. Will accept Postal money orders or a bank certified check.

Here is another 1968 on eBay for far more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1968-FENDER-TELECASTER-FACTORY-BIGSBY-BLONDE-VINTAGE-/200398936856?pt=Guitar&hash=item2ea8b51b18

Here is a 1969 for $6500.00

http://www.guitarsandeffects.com/page720.html

Last edited by Ken Fox on 17 Sep 2013 5:11 am; edited 3 times in total

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 5:25 am    

I took it out for a test run last night. I play once a month for the old fish fry in Valdosta (an almost 80 year old tradition where business folks and friends gather for a fine meal and some music). I have never gotten a good tone in that room we play in before last night. The room just soaks up high end and all the players hear the same thing, a muddy tone. The Tele made the day and I had many compliments on the guitar sound. A definite Don Rich and Buck Owens pure Tele tone, just clear as a bell.
If it sells I am going to have JM Rolph made a 1969 lead pickup for my 1983 Tele!! If not, I have one fine guutiar to play for sure.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 5:32 am    

If any of you have a vintage pickup in need of repair or just need a vintage style pickup made, JM Rolph is the guy for you. His service and work have no compare. JM called me after the pickup was installed just to make sure I was happy. We spent about another hour on the phone. Also he is a monster player, you will hear him playing when you go to his website. He played with Scotty Anderson for many years and also built Scotty's Tele pickups.
He will also do pedal steel pickup rewinding as well.

http://www.jmrolph.com/

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 5:34 am    

Priced as low as I can afford to go! $3995.00 and $35.00 flat shipping cost.

No PayPal, can't afford the fees.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Oct 2012 10:16 am    

bump

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 4:13 pm    

bump

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 9:13 am    

bump. This would look so nice under your Christmas tree!

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 4:53 am     tele

it would look better on stage being played. ken is great to do business with good luck on sale

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2013 2:18 pm    

bump

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 12 Mar 2013 8:17 pm    

Well, now. Ain't she sweet? The kinda girl you'd like to meet. Too rich for my blood but a guy can look, right?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 4:37 am    

bump

Scott Shipley

The Ozark Mountains
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2013 5:44 pm    

GORGEOUS. Whoa!

Scott Appleton

Ashland, Oregon
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 10:23 am     tele old

I am looking under the couch for extra coin right now .. not a bad price really for such a rare one ..

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 10:30 am    

Well, I'd trade ya the 76 Les Paul and the 40's Ric B-6 AND the 51 National 1010-8 ... OR the 76 Les Paul + my '63 ES-120 T for it...

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 12:29 pm    

The tone is awesome. I keep it in my music room and have had a ball with it. I have 4 other Teles (my favorite is my old trusty 1983), 1 Japanese Strat, 2 vintage bass guitars, a 1970 ES335, a Gibson SG and more (if I look under the bed). Just need to thin the herd.

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 12:33 pm    

I can't be certain I heard a shred of an iota of a maybe there, Ken.

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2013 12:39 pm    

Just not up to any trades. I have more gear than I can ever use already. I do surely appreciate the offer!

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 28 Jul 2013 2:45 am    

Still available

Brendan Mitchell

Melbourne Australia
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 4:48 pm    

Hey Ken what is the code on the neck , is it a '68 neck ?

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 10 Aug 2013 4:53 pm    

As shown in the picture above:

3 09 019 B

From what I can get off the net:

3 model
09 run #
01 month
9 year
B nut width

Last edited by Ken Fox on 5 Sep 2013 1:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jack Goodson

new brockton,alabama (deceased)
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2013 7:43 am     pm sent

ken: i sent you a pm....thanks jack

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2013 1:36 pm    

sale pending. Forum contribution will follow soon!

Nick Koff

Lost Angeles, California
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 4:07 pm    

Okay, the additional tension provided by the .011s helped fix the back-bow to the neck a lot; the replacement of the bad switch made that functional as well. It's a shame that Rolph didn't reverse the magnet in one of the pickups; that would have greatly reduced the hum from those pickups. They may look completely original but however you slice it they are not original and that being the case it's too bad he couldn't have done that small enhancement to make the guitar less noisy. I'm going to hold off on the needed fret job until I decide how much I'll actually be playing this guitar. It cleaned up real nice and that neck feels great. I put the original bridge back on her as well as the original spring back into the Bigsby because it needed it with those .011s.

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 3 Oct 2013 5:51 pm    

Now.....bout that fish fry Wink

Ken Fox

Nashville GA USA
Post  Posted 4 Oct 2013 4:59 am    

I offered to check this out and was refused the opportunity. Here is the rest of the story:

To: Nick Koff
Posted: 29 Sep 2013 5:33 am
Subject: Re: Bender
I never saw any issues with the frets. It played well all up and down the neck for me. If there was a problem I would have stated it.

I cleaned the switch, if it needs a new one I will pay for that. The guitar has a book value of over $6000.00 and you paid far less than even my asking price.

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 5:53 am

I never saw any issue with the neck angle myself. I will gladly take it to my luthier, whom I trust. I will pay for half of any needed fret work (if my luthier deems it needed) and the return freight. I can check and repair the switch contacts or replace the switch myself.
I started at $4500.00 asking price for the guitar and lowered it finally to $3995.00. You offered 3000.00 and I took it, as I needed the money with Ruth's upcoming knee replacement. The guitar is worth far more than you paid.. I will do what I offered. I do not know your luthier and will not take his word on this. I played the guitar and I know it played well. I set up guitars for years in a music store so I know when one really needs a fret job. Most frets are hardly worn past the first 5 frets. Usually a few frets may really need replacment and a fret dressing solves the rest.

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 6:04 am

Another simple soulution, just send the neck and I will send it to my luthier. He was a Gibson and Fender repair center for many years and knows his stuff. He refretted my 1983 and takes care of all my gutiars. I can send a new switch, if that is what you want for the gutiar.

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 10:23 am

I never had any hum on those pickuops unless I was right in front of an amp! Again, I do trust your people on that as well.

Posted: 29 Sep 2013 11:35 am

Every single coil guitar I have can pick up hum from an amp's output transformers, power transformer's and other EMF sources. The older guitars have no conductive body paint and body grounding, which helps some on the newer guitars. If you are near a magnetic field it will pickup hum, just like all my Teles do. You can shield the body cavity and back of the pickguard to help a lot. I tested the pickups and they were wired correctly and worked well. The black wire goes to audio ground as it should and I also tested them for proper wiring and phasing.

Again, send it here and I will verify all that. Yes the fress were were nice and dressed low, just like I like them and they played fine. I suppose this 1969 guitar has probably had the frets dressed at some point in its life. I had .009 strings on it at first and no issues with playing.

Again I will gladly take it ot my luthier. If you have already got someone working on it then we are too late for that. I should be afforded the opportunity to see and correct any possible issues first.