The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My Franklin pedal steel was stolen in Texas.
Danny Dunn

Taylor, Michigan, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 11:26 am    

My beautiful sounding Franklin pedal steel was stolen in Texas after playing a gig there in September of 2010. The serial number is 195. I still hope to find it someday. Anyone with information on it, please contact me at 615-618-0349 or 615-293-9500. There is a picture of it on my face book Danny Dunn web page. I am sitting behind it at a venue in the picture and my grandson is touching the strings on it. I will try to upload a picture of it onto this message.

cell#615-618-0349 Moved to Nashville. Doing studio work these days. Writing instrumentals and producing my own steel guitar cd. Enjoying life.

Last edited by Danny Dunn on 8 Feb 2013 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Randy Gilliam

San Antonio, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 2:13 pm     Franklin.

Sorry they got your Guitar. I Will Spread the Word to Be on the lookout For your Franklin. Should Turn up on Craigs List Or in a Pawn Shop. Randy Gilliam.

Jamie Lennon

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 3:40 pm    

Oh man thats sucks !! Sorry Danny

www.georgettejones.net

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 3:46 pm    

Sorry to hear of your loss. But, if it was stolen in 2010 that is a long time ago. No telling what has happened to it or maybe even the serial number altered.

That S/N is about 3 times what mine is, as mine is a 1981.

Jerry Jones

Franklin, Tenn.
Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 4:08 pm    

I always make closeup images of my guitars front apron. Of course, most of my guitars are either natural wood or wood grain Formica. Not likely that two guitars would ever have the same grain pattern and you might be able to identify your guitar from a distance Confused

Eric Philippsen

Central Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 5:21 am    

Danny,

I'm so sorry for your loss. Makes me sad and angry.

But you've done well to list it here on the Forum. I think everyone who's had a steel stolen should do the same so that we can keep an eye out for it.

Sooner or later, stolen steel guitars make their way either to the market or out in public. It's usually the former because thieves want cash and not the work it takes to learn the instrument. That's for sure.

I get around a bit and will always remember that your Franklin is missing. I'll keep an eye out for it because it needs to go back to you.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 7:29 am    

I see alot of steels in this area. I'll keep an eye out.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 7:56 am    

Don't give up hope. I had a custom-built Emmons stolen from me (the thieves took the truck with all my band equipment in it) back in 1989. I found it on eBay in 2007 and it was returned to me by a wonderfully generous seller who wanted me to have it back after hearing the story of its loss.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 12:15 am    

Remember that thread a few years ago where some young journalist was talking about steel ending up in the "scrapheap of the uncool", or something like that...and then forum members bombarded him with hatemail? Well, the reason I bring that up has to do with how that article was found. The member who started that topic had some kind of internet service that alerts him whenever new things relating to steel guitar show up on the net, or something. Does anyone know what that thing was? See what I'm thinking here is that if you could set that to alert you whenever the words "franklin pedal steel" show up in craigslist, ebay or the like, it will send you an alert. That may be your best shot at getting it back.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 1:01 am    

Great idea, Duane. Danny, I'd also offer a reward to any and all pawn shops and music stores in your area for the recovery of your Franklin. Should the thief contact one of them, they could alert the police with the license plate number . One thing you have going for you is that there are not many Franklins. Best of luck on the recovery. steve t

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 8:52 am    

What does the law say in the USA? Suppose that you would buy a guitar and don't know that is was stolen?

Larry Bressington

Nebraska
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 10:14 am    

Serial number 195 is nice and easy to remember too.
Sorry to hear Danny, it's got to be out there somewhere.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 10:30 am    

That's a long time, but still might be worthwhile to post to b0b's page here: http://stolen.steelguitarforum.com/

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Feb 2013 10:36 am    

Posted:
http://stolen.steelguitarforum.com/2013/02/a-franklin-pedal-steel-was-stolen-in-texas/

Bill Tauson

Chino Valley, Az.
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 10:01 am    

Hi Guys,

I would encourage everyone to make sure that you have photos and most importantly, any serial numbers to your steel, amps, etc. If your stuff gets stolen, report it to your local law enforcement agency asap. The law enforcement agency can enter the description, serial number, etc. into a national data base shared by most law enforcement agencies.

I can only speak for California, but pawn shops are required to submit copies of their pawn slips to law enforcement. Of course there are good pawn shops and not so good pawn shops. Some agencies check their pawn slips, some do not. Usually depends on personnel staffing.

As far as checking pawn shops. there are two thoughts. Notify them or stay quiet and check back frequently. Don't count on them loaning out money against a stolen item and then holding it for you. You have to be the judge on that one.

Do your own detective work. You'd be surprised how many people see things but don't come forward.

As far as purchasing equipment, We have to proof that you are buying KNOWN stolen property. You use common sense here. If someone is selling an expensive item for pennies, it's not that hard to figure out. Are they the original owner selling the item? Do they have a sales receipt, etc. Can they even play a steel guitar?

I wish I could tell you that this will get your stuff back, but I can't. But the more you do, the better your chances. The more eyes looking, like this forum, the better. The stronger the message that you don't mess with steel guitar stuff because those guys stick together, the better.

As I'm sure you can tell, I hate theives! I know it won't answer all the questions, but many help with a few.

Good luck!

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2013 5:58 pm    

WOW I wouldn't want the karma following those dudes around for stealing you're axe! Hope it comes back to you good luck.
www.daddario.com/nyxl
www.bjsbars.com

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 6:35 am    

Hopefully the guitar has made it to some unaware player's hands and is on some stage somewhere. Its a good idea to post this now,as it may have been traded/sold/bartered into rotation again. I wish you luck in your Franklin's return.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 7:38 am    

Where in Texas was it stolen? Even if that happened 2 1/2 years ago, it's still possible that it may turn up, but then again, someone down there may be sitting on it. Hmm... Is there a statute of limitations on that? And do you (Danny) have paperwork on it? A police report?

Roddy Ring

Alexandria, Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 8:23 am    

As for the laws on stolen property, the earlier post is correct, it will vary from state to state. But generally speaking, the current holder (prospective seller, if that is how it is found) will have to prove that it is his, and ignorance to that fact that it was previously stolen is not a defense to it's return to the rightful owner. His action will be against the thief he bought it from (good luck there). So when buying a used steel, if in doubt, ask for paper work, invoices, whatever was issued. Conversely, if you are claiming it is yours, you will need to prove it, so pictures, invoices and a police report regarding the theft are important.

Second, as an owner, and unfortunately a potential victim, be sure you keep your ownership papers separate from the guitar, and make sure that your insurance covers it. If you keep it exclusively at home, your homeowner's policy MIGHT cover it. Check the fine print to make sure. If it is out on the road often, you'll have to get separate insurance. Those policies might vary if you are doing it for business or recreation. Be sure you are getting the correct insurance for your circumstances.

Roddy

Marco Schouten

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 9:45 am    

I surely hope that this guitar will show up and find its way home.

Duane Reese

Post  Posted 12 Feb 2013 8:09 pm    

Well, I'll give it a try also with this MCI, then we'll have more of an idea of what happened.

Let's see...I'm not sure that I can find a 1/4" phone plug to NEMA 1-15 adapter...I'll have to make one.

John A. Russell

Norfolk, UK
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 6:13 am     Stolen

Danny

Long Time No Speak to.

Sorry to hear about your "Franklin"
I always remember you wowing us folks in the UK in 2005, with your PSG playing.
I got myself a Franklin S10 last year.
I wouldn't want anything else now.

John Russell Norwich England.
Franklin S10, Telonics X10 pup, Telonics Volume Pedal, Telonics 500 Combo Amp, with Mike Johnson Tone, BJS Bar. Vox AC15C2, Fender Stratocaster, Music Man Albert Lee. Brent Mason Nashville Telecaster. Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Amplifier.Cali76 Studio Compressor, Boss DM3 Delay. Hall & Collens Signature Echo unit.

Scott Duckworth

Etowah, TN Western Foothills of the Smokies
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 6:49 am    

Duane had mentioned searching places like Craigslist..

If you go to http://searchcraigslist.org/ you can in fact enter things like "Franklin Pedal Steel" and get the results.

One thing to remember, Craigslist ads expire in 45 days, search often.

I may, in fact, be nuts. However, I am screwed onto the right bolt... Jesus!

Jim Williams

Meridian, Mississippi, USA - Home of Peavey!
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 11:37 am    

This is terrible. After my father passed away several years ago, someone stole his Emmons pedal steel from his then vacant house before we could get things moved out. Luckily they didn't find his old Gibson lap steel, which I have and still play. They may have thought it was not worth anything due to the looks of the case. I think his Emmons was probably a starter model, but I would have liked to have it for sentimental reasons.

John Billings

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 25 Sep 2013 11:47 am    

Danny,
Sorry for your loss. But I have one comment. Putting phone numbers on the net is asking for trouble. There are "bots" that search for numbers in that sequence. I'd edit your post to disguise your numbers. For example;
6?1%5-6&1*8+0-34=9
The bots won't find it, and you won't get any strange phone calls trying to sell you "stiffeners!"