The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Class D Power Amps
Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 2:02 pm    

Hi,

Is anyone here using one of the several class D power amps with their steel setup? Crown has a XLS1000 and Peavey IPR1600 for a couple of examples.

Thanks,
Robert

Steve Schmidt

Ramsey, MN, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 2:17 pm    

Good question Robert. I'm wondering the same thing. I'm very interested in Brad Sarno's new preamp but I'm wondering about a powered cabinet. I already own a Mosvalve 500 and I contacted Rick Johnson about a cabinet that could accommodate a 12" speaker and my Mosvalve. After doing the math, I'm at 60+ pounds if you use a conventional speaker such as a 1203-4 or about 10 pounds lighter with a neo of some type. I like the idea, I'm just not too fond of the weight. At 60 pounds, I may as well keep hauling my twin reverb around.
I'm curious to hear what others are thinking in this matter. I know that Jay Ganz has built a cabinet using one of these class D amps and I think he likes it?? Hopefully he'll weight in here too.
You and I need to hook up. I'm rerodding the Franklin as we speak.

Bill Myers

Camp Hill, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 3:57 pm    

I'm guessing that your are talking about a rack mount PA amp....but just as a point of reference the GK amps people are using like the MB200 and the MB500's all use class d power sections.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 4:42 pm    

I have a setup with a Sarno Tonic Preamp into a Peavey 1600 amp into a Mesa
4 X 10 ( 2 speakers each in stereo ) This is a very nice setup and plenty of power. IMO,
a tube preamp into any SS, class D, or whatever power amp ( except tube power amps) seems to get the warmth at mid to louder volumes. BTW, I have the same peavey power amp hooked up to my giant screen TV in my man cave with my PA speakers. Nice!!!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 7:42 pm    

There sure are a lot of class D amps nowadays. For example, I bought a Mackie DLM8 last month hoping to improve my attitude about loading in to live gigs. Weight is 22 pounds and the built in handle is nice. It says 2000 watts, but is really "only" 500W+500W continuous bi-amped, with separate EQ and efx for each of 2 inputs.
It sounded pretty good for both keys and steel but had a bit of blown-tweeter-sound so I returned it to Guitar Center.

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 10:00 pm    

♠♣♥♦

Last edited by Jay Ganz on 29 Apr 2017 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2013 9:57 am    

I've got a Peavey IPR1600 with a LeMay pre and a TC effets unit, and it kicks some serious butt. More headroom than you'll ever need.

Robert Parent

Gillette, WY
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2013 2:25 pm    

Thanks for all the responses...... Guess this looks like a valid solution for a new power amp.

I was looking at both rack units and also plate type (like those mounted in speaker enclosures).

Steve, I am around most weekends if you need some help.

Thanks,
Robert

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2017 8:07 pm    

I just picked up an IPR-1600. Wow! Great power amp. And light!!!
It weighs half as much as my profex! Two inputs and two outputs, now I can run true stereo!!

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 30 Apr 2017 6:24 am    

Not sure, but I think this Fender Rumble 100 bass amp is a "class D" amp??? I got one last week and as I posted in another thread,,,so far I'm loving it,,of course with a delay/reverb unit of some sort. If your tired of the weight of other amps, or trying to put together an amp/speaker/effects combo you really need to try this out,,,,and, has been mentioned,,,it can be tried ffrom GC and returned if you don't like it. Tons of clear headroom,,,tone from deep clean bass to razor sharp highs.,,,22,,,,that's 22 lbs total,,,in one package!

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 1 May 2017 6:31 pm    

Light would be good😎

Stephen Williams

from Wales now in Berkeley,Ca, USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2017 8:30 pm    

My next project is a PSG case with a class D 2lb amp and a 15" speaker inside and then i can sit on it to play.
Trying to reduce weight.

Sonny Jenkins

Texas Masonic Retirement Center,,,Arlington Tx
Post  Posted 4 May 2017 8:39 am    

Hey Stephen,,,funny you should mention that,,,,I have my Rumble 100 set up with a piece of 2" thick motorcycle seat cushion (very firm and durable), makes it exactly the same height as my steel seat. At a very easy 22 lbs (and $299.00)I'm loving it! And love the clarity of the amp. Can't believe the "ever searching" PSG community is not trying it. Still playing with the tone, but I know it is there. I'll send a pic as soon as can get back to my other computer.

DG Whitley

Post  Posted 4 May 2017 12:37 pm    

I am happy to see that people like these class D amps, but I cannot stand the sound of them. Just something in the sound that curdles my ears. But good luck to you of those who can.