The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Many Nashville 400s recently for sale.
Frank Montmarquet

The North Coast, New York, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 10:27 am    

There seems to be many Nashville 400s for sale. Only looked recently so I can't say if this is a recent trend.

Are these amps out of favor?
Too heavy?
Are being replaced because they don't sound as good as amps before or after?
Don't need the volume because everything is through a sound system now?
or?

thanks
Frank

Kevin Hatton

Buffalo, N.Y.
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:14 am    

There are lighter, better sounding alternatives now.

Roger Crawford

Griffin, GA USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:20 am    

Put one of Kevin's speakers in one, and an NV400 is a great sounding amp with a lot of usable power, and it won't break your back when you move it.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:26 am    

I've been recycling mine as a fiddle amp. It's a really fine sounding amp for fiddle. I remember when I used to carry one in each hand into a club. Now its all I can do to lift one into my car:)

Bill

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:34 am     nv 400

just got home from the hospital had surgery on a ruptured disk in my neck so o gotta go lighter i have a nv112 and nv1000 but i will be using my cube 80xl and bb. not a fun surgery.

Bill Rowlett

Russellville, AR, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 11:40 am    

Mike,

Disc surgery in my back 25 years ago was what got me too. It takes a while, but you will get over it. I do pretty much what I want to, including tennis. Lifting or manhandling heavy things is hard for me.

Good luck,

Bill

Chuck Blake

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 12:12 pm    

Frank I have noticed the same trend. It think a trend exist because of what is "hot and what is "not" Very Happy .

Weight is is a big issue, I have a Roland 80XL and use it for small indoor gigs but the other nite I hooked to my NV400......what a sweet tone Smile .

Just not sweet enough to carry it around and my wife refuses also Laughing

Mike Bowles

Princeton, West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 12:43 pm     nv400

thanks bill its only been one day. i can already tell a difference.

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 12:50 pm    

I have a NV 400 with an Eminence EPS-15 speaker in it. It weighs 48 pounds.

I also have a Roland cube 80XL; it's 34 pounds.

In both cases, it's actual weight, not advertised. The Roland is light-er, but not that light. I mean, I have a Phil Jones Cub AG-100 for acoustic gtr... 11 pounds... THAT's light! And it's a 100 watts.

I tried so hard to love the Roland, but the NV sounds waaaay better to me. The Roland is now for sale.

If I saw an NV400 with Fox mods in my neck of the woods for less than 400$, I would jump on it. Change the speaker, put the black widow in a separate cab or sell it.

Cartwright Thompson

Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 1:21 pm    

A Nashville 400 with the Ken Fox "Ultimate Mod" is a great sounding amplifier.
Since Ken is no longer performing these mods, Fox modded NV's may actually become hard to find.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 1:45 pm    

dont forget they made the N400 from 1980-1990ish...that was 20+ years ago (most of the ones you see are early 80's). these amps have made their mark. i wouldnt call that exactly being out of favor.... MULLETS are out of favor.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 2:12 pm     nash 400

I'll never sell mine. Yes it's heavey but I have a Special 130 with a descent speaker that gets real close to nash tone. The 400 is just a solid, clean dependable great sounding amp. It is my perenial backup. I kinda fell out of love with tube amps. Right back where I started with the Nash 400. I have tried some of the micro heads like the GKmb100 but it died on me and I was never really happy with it. I can plug anything into the nash and it sounds good. I dont have big budget to spend on boutique tube amps. I am sure some of them are amazing. My Peavey SS amps give me my essential tone and so practical, except for the weight of the 400 perhaps. Hence the 130. Will probably be buried with both of them. TC

Don Hinkle

Springfield Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 5:00 pm    

I have 3 NV 400's...
I have used;
session 400's
NV 112's
Steel Kings
NV 1000
Fender Twin black and silver face
Fender hot rod deville 2X12

I absolutely love the tone, sustain, warmth, headroom of the NV400.

Also, consider this - the reason that we normally like a certain "tone" or sound, is it is familiar to use.
Because so many records were made with the NV400 amp - (or 500) I think that many of our ears are trained to that tone.

Even though I'd like to try a Webb amp one day for giggles... I'm happy with my Nv400's.

Don
Fender guitars
Fender amps

Bob Cox

Buckeye State
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 6:37 pm    

I love my Nashville 400 and have tried and owned many other amps . It has the tone especially with the mod, I predict these to be hard to get in a year or so, so grab one up if you can they are work horses.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 23 Jan 2013 7:00 pm     nash 400

BTW, got fed up with tubes due to several power tube gig fails, plus tube rattle on 2 different amps, difficulty finding them. I play out a lot and need something that will be more dependable. Old Peavey SS amps really have great tone. My Special 130 on clean channel will really growl with my Legrande. Its a clean, tough, driven sound. Esp when you lean on it. Perhaps not the ultimate sound, but for the $ and value and dependability I'm in the ball park of the sound I like. Having a great game in fact.

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 12:12 am    

I have many amps and some I have sold and wished I hadn't but I have Nash 400 with a LaMay mod that is always in rotation. The pilot light is out and I should replace it but it is so quiet that I sometimes forget to shut it off and it stays on for quite some time. I'll fix the pilot light someday...

Lenny

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 2:00 pm    

To me, The Nashville 400 for steel is 2nd right under the Peavy old LTD. I have 3 N400's and two of them sound great and the other doesn't. Don't know why either, maybe the speaker. They are heavy but they are very tough and road worthy amps with great tone and head room. I've also tried almost every steel amp made including the Webbs, Evans, Steel Kings, Fender Twins and many others and keep going back to the LTD's and the 400's. I like to play just straight into amp and they seem to fill the bill for me. I'll get my back brace later if I have too.

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Peggy Green

San Jose, California USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 2:14 pm    

I am about to take my Nashville 400 in to be refurbished. My Duncan 84-40 needed caps and filters. I ready to freshen the NV400 up next.

Eric Philippsen

Central Florida USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 6:44 pm    

I played 2 NV400's in stereo for a good 20+ years. Literally, thousands of gigs. Dependable, great sounding, they never let me down. Yes, I use the current steel boutique setup now and love it, but I also still use a NV400 for gigs. You bet.

Is it falling by the wayside in popularity? I dunno, I never actually thought about it until I read this thread. I guess nothing lasts forever including popularity. Then again, Twin Reverbs aren't seen as much as they used to be either, but they're still the standard of the industry in a whole lot of musical circles. Likewise, NV400s are the standard in the steel guitar world. I mean, how many steel guitar conventions have I seen where the back line is strictly one NV400 after another? A lot.

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 7:50 pm     nash 400

Most of my gigs are amps with stage volume, no mics on cabs. I need serious firepower and headroom. NV400. The only strike against it is the weight. I have to really be carfull moving it. The transformer in the NV is almost as big as a car battery! And the black widow doesnt help. But I think that is what makes it growl so good. My Mb100 was kinda weak. I would like to try a small head again. But sell the Nash? No way. I kinda get a reverse sense of pride bringing a Peavey solid state! The guitar player in the classic country group I play in plays a Squier Strat, not even a tele, through a Peavey transtube 212 and leaves me in the dust. He is an old pro. Just great clean tough dependable power.

Richard Tipple

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 8:25 pm    

I owned and used a NV400 for years, but I finaly could not drag this heavy amp around, anymore. The NV400 had power enough for any gigs I played & had the tone I wanted, but it was a brute to haul. It is still the main stay of many steel players, it was top of the line ,in its day, for steel.

I went on the hunt for a lighter amp with power & tone & I found it in the ,,TC Furlong 12" Split Back. This little light weight amp ,is a power monster ,with tone!!Approx.25 Lbs,, The 12" speaker can knock walls down ,if needed. The bass responce is un-believable, for a 12" speaker.

If one reads the Bio on this amp on the TC Furlong, web site, you will be amaized Shocked

Tom Cooper

Orlando, Fl
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 6:42 am     nash 400

If I could scare up the $ I would do it for sure to get a Furlong. I just cant do it now. The Special 130 was my compromise. I could totally see going that route. Still wouldnt sell the 400 though. Always nice to have backup.

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 12:33 pm    

Personally I've fallen out of love with the 15" Black Widow. I gotta try something different in my old session 400.

Jeff Metz Jr.

York, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jan 2013 7:38 pm    

I bought a nashville 400 with my sierra steel. After 3 months I finally tried my fender hot rod deluxe with the sierra. Its an amazing difference. So much warmer and cleaner sounding. THis is at home levels of course. I wonder what the Nashville has to offer over the HRD live.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 26 Jan 2013 5:33 am    

well I sold mine, not because it isn't a great amp, it is..

I use a Twin Reverb exclusively , The NV400 sat unused for two years...

I read above there are lighter better sounding alternatives.. I don't feel that way...the N400 is a great amp, and it sounds the way it does because of the IRON....sure there are lighter amps that sound good but they cannot deliver the same goods...I have owned 3 of them thru the years, never a disappointment with the Steel... I just don't like them for my Telecaster...others do, I don't...Being a double duty player, I prefer the Twin.....

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website