The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Beryl Harrell, lap steel pioneer get's nearer to 'the goal'
Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Jan 2013 1:47 pm    

With more recognition in the last three years than maybe in her entire life, Beryl's page on hillbillymusic.com's site has been viewed often enuf to have been in the top ten for three years now. Maybe her son, Don's wish for her nomination into The Steel Guitar Hall Of Fame will happen eventually, but it's a rough haul dispite her legitimacy, just as it is with so many of her era whom are yet to be included.
http://www.hillbilly-music.com/news/story/index.php?id=8988
http://www.hillbilly-music.com/artists/story/index.php?id=14768

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2013 8:14 pm    

Ron,

It would be nice to hear her play because she has a nice resume. Do you have any samples of her playing?

Aloha, Smile
Don

Jouni Karvonen

Helsinki, Finland
Post  Posted 6 Jan 2013 11:50 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRrTz-14yZ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPMefYgG6aE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPMefYgG6aE

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 12:57 pm    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
It would be nice to hear her play because she has a nice resume.
She seems to have evaded the recording microphone far too much, Don. But, as noted by Jouni (thanx!), there are a few things that have surfaced, and no doubt some suprises to come.

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 7 Jan 2013 8:25 pm    

She is a good looking gal. Maybe her talent was overlooked because the focus was on her beauty and not her steel guitar playing.

The following video has some fairly good quality sound. The song title is Goofus.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kluyhy_2u7M

Here is a note posted on YouTube:
Beryl Harrell was an innovative lap steel player whose appealing talent was so great that Merle Travis wanted to hire her for his own band. Long before Barbara Mandrell thrashed strings on her Moseley electric lap-steel guitar, Beryl Harrell was out in the trenches forging a place in the music world for female musicians.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 11:32 am    

Don Kona Woods wrote:
She is a good looking gal. Maybe her talent was overlooked because the focus was on her beauty and not her steel guitar playing.
It's the age old blessing/curse game, Don, you win some and you lose some.
Those focusing on the music, like Travis, knew a good thing when they saw and heard it.

An interesting story her son, Don, tells is her getting the invitation from Harry Owens to fill the steel seat (of Freddie Tavares?) in his '50s band at The Royal Hawaiian Hotel. But, it would have meant being away from her son too far and long, so she opted for a less appealling gig in Alaska. Don say's she always regretted passing on the Hawaii opportunity. And so can we regret, only imagining what may have transpired had she come to Oahu.

Richard Alderson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2013 8:27 pm     Beryl Harrell - Four Neck Fender

After reading this fascinating post I got to wondering ..... So does anyone have any idea where her four neck Fender ended up? It must be somewhere..... sold in 1963 to whom ?

Great story about Beryl. A pathbreaking female musician, all the way.

Thanks for bring up such a fascinating subject. Great music of course, echoes of Sol very evident. I am sure we will be able to hear more than just three cuts if her fame continues to grow.

Don Triolo

Nevada, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jan 2013 9:50 pm    

A heartfelt "Thank You" to ALL of you Gentlemen re: my Mother BERYL HARRELL..There will be an upcoming article in the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Gazette thanks to John Ely which will focus on her "Hawaiian Roots" beginning at 12 years old with her teacher Sol Hoopii..
In answer to some of the questions..Beryl was offered to take Eddie Bush' place with Harry Owens in the early 50's..but the offer did not include my stepdad ,so sadly enough, no go..the decision to leave Los Angeles & take the job in Anchorage Alaska probably squelched many opportunities..like they say "out of sight, out of mind", though I have some great newspaper clips while in Alaska..
I too have wondered what ever happened to her Fender Quad she bought from Eddie Bush.. I have one great photo ofBeryl & that guitar [color]taken at the El Cortez in LV about 1960..she sold it in 1964 with the amp & foot pedal to a music store here in Las Vegas for $180!!and that was the beginning of the end..
I hope I can find a way to get her arrangement of "Song of the Islands" on youtube..I think it readily shows her heartfelt connection to her music..
Thanks to all of you for ongoing interest & support.
Don Triolo
Las Vegas, NV.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 6:14 pm    

And thank you, Don, for clearing up my cobwebbed memory of your Mom's story concerning TRHH. Embarassed

Don Kona Woods

Hawaiian Kama'aina
Post  Posted 10 Jan 2013 9:46 pm    

Don says,
Quote:
I have some great newspaper clips while in Alaska..

Don, if you could copy those articles and post them on the Forum, it would give all of us more information about your mother. You can see that there is interest in her.

If you do not know how, it is as simple as using a digital camera and downloading on the internet via Steel Guitar Fourm. There may be other suggestions from others.

Gary C. Dygert

Frankfort, NY, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 2:12 pm    

Have there been any developments in getting this beautiful lady's story told? The YouTube clips have been removed. I would love to be able to hear some of Beryl's music.

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 3:35 pm    

I talked to Don the other day and other than the few magazine articles from a year ago+ that you may have seen there's little to update at this time. Some stuff has gone down due to some people that offered help getting odd and removing things. But those that truly appreciate her are waiting for time to roll on and open new avenues towards her HoF nominations, stay tuned. Thanx for mentioning her.