The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Mike Auldridge
Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 12:44 pm    

Mike Auldridge Tribute Page

Before Mike Auldridge, no one sounded like Mike Auldridge on the dobro. After Mike Auldridge, everyone tried to sound like Mike Auldridge on the Dobro.

Greg Simmons

where the buffalo (used to) roam AND the Mojave
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 12:57 pm    

What an amazing musician and a true gentleman... I will always treasure the memory of sitting right there listening to Mike and Jim Heffernan playing in the hallway that Sunday in St. Louis as the Convention was winding down after their Resocaster set with Hal...

Godspeed Mike and thank you for the music.

Bill Lowe

Connecticut
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 1:15 pm    

Very sad, my thoughts and prayers are with Mike and family..

Tony Dingus

Kingsport, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 1:51 pm    

Here's a interview with Mike by Mel Bay. He plays some nice stuff on this too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE30wNv6yw0

Tony

Dave Diehl

Mechanicsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 2:41 pm    

Mike was a great musician and a equally great person. He is to any Dobro player as Jeff Newman was to Steel Guitar. Anyone who has ever touched a Dobro knows the name... Mike Audridge. It was Jeff that taught Mike how to play pedal steel. My thoughts go out to him and his family.

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 3:03 pm    

I'm so sorry to hear of this. Mike was a fine gentleman and he will be missed. Prayers go out to the family. The picture is of Mike and Tommy at a jam I had in 2005 and Mike was playing a MSA superslide and he just blew my mind what he did with 8 strings. Great player and a great man

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 3:10 pm    

I am so sorry to hear this. My deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Switzerland
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 3:28 pm    

Very sad about that. Honored to have met him in Dallas this spring. My condolences to his family.

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 4:49 pm    

He has been on my mind all day. Above and beyond being a musical legend, he was one of the most approachable "stars" I was ever around. I pray for peace and comfort for his family and his legion of friends.

Bill Erchul

Raleigh, NC, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 5:11 pm    

I am deeply saddened by this news. Mike was my inspiration for taking up dobro in the early '70s and has been a major influence since then. We met only once (yes, Clyde, very approachable) and I regret not following up with private lessons. My deepest condolences go out to his family. I'm sure by now Mike and Jeff N. are revisiting their '78 "Slidin' Smoke" album (my favorite cut was "I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry," somehow very appropriate today). RIP, Mike, you were a true original and will be missed by many.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 5:35 pm    

Terribly sad news to hear of Mike's passing, I met him at Dallas a couple of years back when both of us picked up our new Zum's from Bruce .. they are numbered sequentially, mine was 1059 and his 1060. What a truly lovely bloke he was and I just loved his dobro playing - my Beard MA6 will become even more previous to me with his passing.
condolences to his family.
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Les Hardin

Cleveland, NC USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 5:50 pm     Deeply saddened

Mike was my PSG teacher until just recently, when he became too weak to teach. I was in awe during every lesson, as he was an idol of mine from way back (I was a big Scene fan since high school). I will miss him deeply and wish with all my heart I had known him longer. Still, I will count myself privileged to have had the time I did. I pray for his family and close friends; may they all find peace.
Rest in peace, my friend.

Orville Johnson

Seattle, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 6:16 pm    

I was saddened to hear this news when I got up this morning.Like a lot of players my age, I was inspired to play dobro by Mike's amazing sound. I was thrilled years later to meet him and become friends. Sometimes its not a good idea to meet people that are your heros or inspirations because they don't always turn out to be nice people. In Mike's case, I think he was a better human being than he was a dobro player!

I spent all day today thinking about him and listening to his music and I recorded one of his tunes just to immerse myself as far as I could in his sound. I put it on my Facebook page and I'd like to post it here too as a gesture of my utmost respect and admiration for his talents as both a dobro player and a first class human being. RIP

https://soundcloud.com/orvillej/its-over

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 6:52 pm    

So sorry to hear this. Mike was a major influence on my musical journey, both before and after I knew him.

A true gentleman, and a warm soul.
He once said he could show me all he knows in a few hours, but it would take 40 years to master it.

RIP, Larry The Legend.

Howard Parker

Maryland
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 8:08 pm     Mike's Arrangements

The Auldridge family advises that a visitation will be held on Thursday Jan. 3 at St. Michaels Church in Silver Spring at 3:00, followed by a mass at 4:00, followed by a reception.

St Michael the Archangel Catholic Church
805 Wayne Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Phone: (301) 589-1155 Fax: (301) 589-3470

I believe you can send expressions of sympathy to the Auldridge family at:

218 Lexington Dr
Silver Spring, MD 20901

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 10:45 pm    

Very sad news. I attended the NEA Heritage Fellowship concert recently at which Mike received a Fellowship, and it was apparent he was in poor health, but I had no idea how bad.

Everyone has well stated the caliber of musician he was. I met him only once, at one of Paul Vendemmia's steel jams, and I've never met a nicer, more unpretentious person.

Condolences to Tommy and the rest of his family.

Mike Ihde

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 29 Dec 2012 11:08 pm     Mike Auldridge

I'm so saddened to hear of Mike's passing. What a great guy. 4 years ago when I was doing videos for my new guitar book "The 333 Book" I just sent him and e-mail and asked if he would let me come down to his house and do this performance / video for the book. He said, "Sure, come on down" and so did Buddy, Doug, Phil Keaggy, Billy Robinson and Bobby Seymore and many more non-steelers.
What a wonderful bunch of open and honest players. Here's a nice photo I took of him for the book and a link to the short clip from the book. On my site (mikeihde.com) I only have short clips because I want people to buy my book. I tried to upload the full video but they said it was too long so as soon as I figure out how to do that, I'll let you know.

http://mikeihde.com/mauldridge.htm

Ned McIntosh

New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 1:52 am    

This is terrible news. So many of us had no inkling Mike was so ill. His album "Dobro" was pivotal in inspiring me to play the Dobro back in about 1976, and even today I stand in awe of his articulation, technique, tone, touch and timing.

RIP Mike, and to his family and many friends I add my sincerest condolences to those already expressed.
The steel guitar is a hard mistress. She will obsess you, bemuse and bewitch you. She will dash your hopes on what seems to be whim, only to tease you into renewing the relationship once more so she can do it to you all over again...and yet, if you somehow manage to touch her in that certain magic way, she will yield up a sound which has so much soul, raw emotion and heartfelt depth to it that she will pierce you to the very core of your being.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 3:43 am    

Brint Hannay wrote:
at one of Paul Vendemmia's steel jams

Mike and Tommy Auldrige have been regulars on Paul's call list as they both would contribute to the most enjoyable musical experience one could ever ask for. Between Mikes hybrid C6th playing which was a combo of dobro and steel chops, and Tommy's superb touch with polished tone, four hours of jamming would pass faster than four minutes.

Condolences to Tommy and the entire Auldrige Family.

Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 4:53 am     Our condolences!

Our thoughts and prayers are with Mike's family & friends at this very difficult time. RIP Mike...This is indeed a sad day for our steel guitar community.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 5:15 am    

I met Mike once at the NAMM show. He seemed like a real gentleman, as well as a great musician.

F--- cancer!

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 7:22 am    

I am so sorry to hear of the passing of Mike Auldridge,I was so pleased that I meet him twice in Dallas.He always had the time to talk something I will hold in great esteem. My condolences to the family.
Spencer Scott (UK)

Rockne Riddlebarger

Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 7:48 am    

I met Mike very briefly in 1975. he was performing with the Seldom Scene at a large arts and cratfts festival in Frederick, Maryland. After their performance Mike walked by the pottery booth I was working at. I happened to be playing my dobro at the time and he sat down and listened for a few minutes. I have carried his gratious words of encouragement with me to this day. God bless Mike Auldridge, he was a true dobro master and a wonderful human being.

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 8:38 am    

i never met Mike but i did listen to his Musik
it's saddening to know he left us considering just how much he was appreciated
i imagine he's in a better place now, pickin' in the Lord's orchestra
My sincere condolences to his family & friends

Bob Hoffnar

Austin, Tx
Post  Posted 30 Dec 2012 9:17 am    

I grew up around the corner from Mike and always admired and just about worshiped him. He was so gracious and helpful. This is very sad. I'm so sorry to see him go.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qmF_K6TLLE