The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Someone Please Get Me A REAL STEEL GUITAR!
Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 11:24 am    

With a bit of extra time on my hands at the holidays here I got to thinking about my steel guitar. That's a bad thing sometimes! LOL! As I look back on about 35 years of sitting behind these musical bicycles it hit me that I have never done things the normal way. I don't play E9. I don't play C6. Even my the 12 string setup I have is much different than the standard universal. Most every player who sits behind my guitar is usually lost and can't even play it. I guess that is a good thing to some degree but maybe it is a disadvantage in others. I'm just being honest with myself and thinking why do I actually play the way I do. I am being very open and honest here so just bear with me if you are reading along.

I have been convinced most of my life that my 12 string guitar was enough. And it is for the most part. I doubt I would lose any "real world" gigs because I don't have a D10. Additionally, I have sit next to many players jamming who brought their D10 to the party and I have never felt inferior. Maybe I'm in denial. Embarassed Laughing

I know this has been debated many times before on this Forum about Double vs. Single neck guitars. I'm sure just about every tuning combination possible has been listed out in great detail. I even have done many threads and You Tube videos myself on the subject. My point though is simple here. I think those who have crafted their skills on the D10 are more respected. There I said it! Why do I possibly think this you say? I have seen recently several threads where folks talk about players who inspire them or the like. I have noticed my name there on a few of those so it's not about that! Seriously though, it seems the players who are the cream of the crop if you will all play D10.

With that said, let me ask ya'll to list out players in addition to the ones that I mention here who are respected single neck players. Oh and this is a "pedal" steel guitar conversation ok?

Here is the list I am working on....

Julian Tharpe
Lloyd Green
Maurice Anderson
Zane Beck
Robert Randolph
Jeff Newman

I know there are many others but I want to give everyone a chance to throw some good ones out there.

Again, my point to this exercise is that I can't imagine that those D10 players really ultimately do not have that much of advantage. But if they do, I want to know about it. I might just get me a guitar with say 3 necks on it!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Lastly, please take this topic LIGHTLY! I'm just throwing this out there to have some fun with the conversation. Very Happy

Stan Paxton

1/2 & 1/2 Florida and Tenn, USA (old Missouri boy gone South)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 11:33 am    

Zane, Merry Christmas!
Seems to be Joe Wright would fit the single neck, respected player category. Very Happy
Mullen Lacquer SD 10, 3 & 5; Mullen Mica S 10 1/2 pad, 3 & 5; BJS Bars; LTD400, Nashville 112, DD-3, RV-3, Hilton VP . -- Gold Tone PBS sq neck; Wechter Scheerhorn sq neck. -- "Experience is the thing you have left when everything else is gone." -anon.-

Andy Vance

Graham, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 11:52 am    

I immediately thought of Dickey Overby and Ricky Davis when you mentioned respected single neck players as they usually are playing SD-10's.

Are you speaking of well known players that play both necks on a D-10 proficiently or just play on a D-10 guitar?

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 12:09 pm    

David Wright, a very respected single neck player...

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 12:09 pm    

David Wright, a very respected single neck player...

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 12:20 pm    

After re-reading Zane's 1st post. I found my post to be off topic. I'll reply when time allows.

bb

Last edited by Bobby Boggs on 24 Dec 2012 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 12:46 pm    

Joe Wright and David Wright I am very familiar with and they are out of sight!!!! I don't know the others that well but I'm excited to learn more about them.

I do want to limit the list to those who only use single necks as their primary equipment! That will help to ultimately truly see how the list compares to those who use doubles.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 1:35 pm    

Well you can only use one neck at a time, and I have found that when I wear a sharp suit, I get more respect.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 1:45 pm    

We need "like" buttons on these comments. I love that one Bud!

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 2:04 pm    

By the way Zane, your uniqueness is inspiring. Keep doing it the way you like it & hear it in your head. It's called cutting edge and it's needed for CIVILIZATION to keep moving forward, thru art. Happy holidays to you and your family and stay safe!

Chris Templeton

The Green Mountain State
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 5:22 pm    

John Ely, playing a Fender pedal steel.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 6:15 pm    

Yeah, I have been thinking about getting me a D-10. I can barely play an E9, but man, I sure would look a lot cooler sitting behind those twin necks!
Sorry Zane, but unless you play E9 and/or C6, you will never make it. Oh yeah, and don't try any other kind of tuning either, that is strictly forbidden. Next thing you know, you will be inventing stand up pedal 8 string steel or 12 string funny tuning or even better, getting old Dad to run out to the shop and making you a brand new steel.
Yeah, ole Zane just ain't a gonna make it in the steel business, just too far left of center for most of us. Keep trying though, I am sure there will be a place for you at some point........... Laughing

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 10:35 pm    

YOUZE GUYS WITH YOUR SINGLE NECKS IS ALL A BUNCH OF WIMPS!

David Mason

Cambridge, MD, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 1:15 am    

M. Perlowin - S-12 Ex.E9th
E. Bovine* - S-12 Ex.9th
S. Alcorn - S-12 C6th
D. Easley - S-12 C6th; (he's known to play E9th for a bit of lucre, but his heart's in the C6th.)
D. Phillips - S-14 (who knows?) Rolling Eyes
D. Lanois - ummmm..... S-something, plus notes too!
J. Cohen - ummm... I think he still totes a double, but as you say, it's just a fashion statement, to add that second million $$$.
Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize....

Have you ever noticed how really good rock guitarists will play a half-dozen guitars in a single show? But the actually great rock guitarists play only one? If you took a great, classic E9th solo and eliminated all the pulls-to-unison, what have you left? (I'll bet it'd be playable on C6th...) Razz

*(acronym for Justin Beiber's Dad)

Carl Williams

Oklahoma
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 4:34 am    

I'll throw out David Hartley here as a fellow who picks a little single-neck E-9th! Winking Zane, thanks for the interesting thread...I posted a little item within the past year regarding D-10's; Is it really a Loafer/Arm Rest with Rusty Strings? I owned an MSA D-10 for 20 yrs of the 38 yrs I've been practicing on this contraption. My little mind can only handle so much which is why I've tried to put my time/energy into the E-9th/single-neck setup. I say more power to you if you like D-10, Triple 12, etc...If you have the time, the mind and willpower to tackle one, two, three tunings, I'm all for you and like to hear good steel picked on whichever body style/configuration you can come up with. When I was alot younger and had darker hair, I thought a "complete" player was someone who had two necks in front of them but now, I'm content with two Loafers (Said with love & respect for us Loafers! Winking ) With the names of some of our Masters already listed who focused on the "Kroger Neck" or a 6th tuning, I'm proud to say at least I try to play one neck. CW

Last edited by Carl Williams on 25 Dec 2012 7:06 am; edited 1 time in total

Bob Carlucci

Candor, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 5:59 am    

WOW, you guys overlooked the most unique single neck player ever.. Instantly recognizable tone and style.. On an antiquated relic of a guitar, with only 8 strings no less, and an oddball B6 tuning... Take a guess... bob

no gear list for me.. you don't have the time......

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 6:10 am    

me...lol Laughing

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Fish

Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 6:16 am    

The one and only Peter Kleinow.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 6:57 am    

A couple of days ago I was looking at you tube videos of John Hughey. You know how when you do this a list of other videos appears below the screen. One of these was a video of Fred Justice playing My Own True Love. Absolutely beautiful. Fred belongs on this list.

Wally Pfeifer

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 7:01 am    

Cool Very Happy Confused Neutral Winking

Yes, Duke can do it all. I was in Hawaii when Duke
pulled this off. Can you imagine,- 7 necks?
Wally

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 7:10 am    

If I could play 1/10 as well as does Randy Beavers on a version of an E9th single neck, including many jazz-style pieces, I would be a very happy guy.

Jack Wilson

Marshfield, MO
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 10:24 am     single neck players

Don't forget Tom Brumley

Ron Whitworth

Yuma,Ariz.USA Yeah they say it's a DRY heat !!
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 10:48 am    

Here is another one not to forget >

Bill Stafford

We need to turn the TWANG up a little

It's not what you play through, it's what you play through it.

They say that tone is all in the fingers...I say it is all in your head Smile

Some of the best pieces of life are the little pieces all added up..Ron

the value of friendship. Old friends shine like diamonds, you can always call them and - most important - you can't buy them.

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 12:15 pm    

oh this is FUN!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for all of the comments.

Bud A. - thanks for the encouragement! I will keep it up!

Mike P . - thanks for posting that photo! That's wonderful!

I gotta tell y'all that I'm really learning about some players here who use single neck guitars! That's exciting because to be completely honest we got to pull together and let the world know about us! Embarassed Embarassed

Tom Brumley is absolutely at the top of any list like this. Love it!

Randy Beavers - I will agree to this if does. I know he pretty much gets more out of the E9th Tuning than any person alive!!!!!

Junior Knight - you with us single neckers? If so, you are at the top of my list. Very Happy

Zane King

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 12:15 pm    

oh this is FUN!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for all of the comments.

Bud A. - thanks for the encouragement! I will keep it up!

Mike P . - thanks for posting that photo! That's wonderful!

I gotta tell y'all that I'm really learning about some players here who use single neck guitars! That's exciting because to be completely honest we got to pull together and let the world know about us! Embarassed Embarassed

Tom Brumley is absolutely at the top of any list like this. Love it!

Randy Beavers - I will agree to this if does. I know he pretty much gets more out of the E9th Tuning than any person alive!!!!!

Junior Knight - you with us single neckers? If so, you are at the top of my list. Very Happy