The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  6 months, it seems like yesterday that Roy Ayres went home
Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2012 1:27 pm    

Tomorrow my "everything" went home. I still can't believe he is not with me anymore. Where did that 6 months go?

Monday, the 10th he would have been 83.

Sunday afternoon I will take him One Red Rose which means love and I will always love him.

I miss all of you on the forum too and going to the conventions and shows.

With a heavy heart.
Laurie

Rick Barnhart

Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2012 4:07 pm    

God bless you, Laurie. Keep your chin up, you have friends here (some you've never met) to help lighten up that heavy heart of yours.

Paul Graupp

Macon Ga USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2012 1:48 am    

While it has been years since my wife was killed, we sat around the table after supper last evening and talked about how she has missed so much of the twins and Caleb growing up. It is some gigantic burden we have to carry on with and I don't think it ever gets much easier.

bruce fischer

florissant, mo. 63031 USA
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2012 12:22 pm    

what a coincidence, i had roys cd playing when i read your post!
all the best to you laurie.
bruce & lynn

Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 11 Dec 2012 11:39 am     Thank You

I want to thank all of you for your encouraging words.
Sunday after church the kids took me to Bushnell (Military Cemetery)as I had not seen the front plate. They did an excellent job but it seemed so small for such a "big" and wonderful man.

Yesterday my granddaughter gave me a "cement" stepping stone that she made after school some nights. It says "In Memory of Pop Pop. That's what the kids called him. They gave it to me for his birthday yesterday. I was so touched. They really miss him too.

As I was going through our cd's I found one that said "Steeling for Laurie" Over 100 songs he recorded for me and I never knew it. He said on the cd it was for me after he was gone because I helped him get back into his music ...he's real love. He also signed it.... love Roy. Even yet he's still doing things for me after he is gone. He prepared a lot of things for me to make it easier. The one thing he couldn't do for me is take the pain away from loosing him.

When God calls me home, I will be put in with Roy. on the plaque it says...."Together With Jesus.

Thank you again so much for not forgetting me or Roy. On his web site he has at the top "It's Good to be Remembered." You are all still in my memories and my heart.

God Bless You all,
Laurie

Gene Jones

Oklahoma City, OK USA, (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2012 9:52 am    

Laurie, it's obvious how much Roy appeciated you, and by his CD wanted you to know how much he loved you.

I was priviledged to meet and know both of you at St Louis when Roy was inducted.

I pray that God will bless you and make your loss bearable.

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 8:03 pm    

He will always be remembered Laurie- he did so much in such a short time- great guy~~

Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 9:20 pm    

Well, Christmas is over for this year. The last time Roy was able to go to church with me was Christmas Eve so last night was hard but as usual, our children surrounded me and my church family. I said, Roy is telling Jesus "Happy Birthday" in person.

Our grandchildren sang at the service and we closed with "Silent Night" with the lights out and all of us holding a candle. It's so beautiful and fitting.

Thank you Jim and Gene for your kind words and thoughts.

I can now listen to Roy play again and the ones we have from other steel players. When I get in the car, I put on the CD player and say, "OK honey, play for me" and he does every time.

Merry Christmas Everyone and may your New Year hold many blessings.

From my heart with love and Roy's from Heaven.

Walter Stettner

Vienna, Austria
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2012 11:05 pm    

Dear Laurie,

I will always cherish the time we spent together in St. Louis. Although it was only a few hours, it made a lasting impression on me to see how close you and Roy were. I consider myself a very lucky person that I had the chance to know you and become friends.

And I also know that you have a tight family that makes it easier to live with the loss you had when Roy left you.

Here's a big hug from the other side of this planet from your friend Walter.

Love ya!

Donna Dodd

Acworth, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2012 4:19 pm    

Laurie - I also cherish the time spent with you and Roy in St. Louis! Remember the chocolate candy kisses and champagne? I know the stepping stone from your grandchildren must be very special.

What a wonderful lady you are, Laurie! I think of you so often, and send love and hugs your way.
Donna
- from movie Six Degrees of Separation

Come visit my steel guitar store on CafePress! http://www.cafepress.com/zoomwithaview
Webmaster, http://www.georgiasteelguitar.com

Willis Vanderberg

Petoskey Mi
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 2:17 pm    

I was fortunate to know Roy sixty some years ago. He took the time to talk steel guitar with a young guy. I never have forgotten that and, we met again at the Florida Steel Guitar Club fifty some years later. What was amazing , he recalled our first meeting , those many many years ago. I was able to see him and his sweetie at our jams in Bradenton and also at the Florida Club too.
Miss Laurie, keep a steady hand on the wheel and know he is watching over you.
Go rest high upon that mountain Roy, you earned it...Still missing you.

Old Bud

Laurie Ayres

Riverview, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2013 11:16 am    

I can't tell you how much your posts mean to me. On Roy's web site, (Which is still there) at the top he put "It's Good To Be Remembered". He touched so many lives in his life and as long as I am on earth, he will be remembered not only by me but also our family. The grandchildren loved him so much. Roy told Katelyn when he woke up from the coma "to say goodbye" she was he favorite granddaughter and Brian was his favorite grandson. He was such an awesome person and smarter than I could ever be. He always treated me like a princess but I always made sure he knew he was the King.

Love and Hugs to you all!
Laurie