The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Zum Encore
Dan Robinson

Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 28 Oct 2016 10:03 pm    

Roger Rettig wrote:
In a perfect world the only change I'd like on my Encore would be the pedal-bar attachment - I wish it had those slide-across tabs like my Emmons (and my Carter, come to think of it).

The Encore has a screw running through the leg and the p/b and I've lost count of the times I've fumbled as I tried to get the nut on the thread - if you drop one in a darkened backstage area you're in trouble!

How should I refer to this part of a steel guitar? Any ideas?

Wing-nuts?

Roger, that was the first thing I noticed on the Encore that I'm "baby sitting." My old Bud 6139 uses them. Never lost one, never carried spares. But the allen-wrenches used in hex-key tuners.... lots of those left behind on dark stages. Go figure.

Having a great experience with this Encore (thanks, Ben). It will be a while before Doug builds mine, but I'm confident it will be worth the wait.

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 29 Oct 2016 5:06 am    

What I meant, Dan, was that I struggle to describe those slide-across brackets that are fitted to most steel guitars. 'Wing nuts' is a perfect description of the Encore's method 'cos that's what they are. Smile

I now have a slightly-improved solution - still a threaded nut that has to be located onto the screw, but the nut has a large rubber grommet around it. Easier to hang on to.

The tiny wing nuts remind me of my first steel guitar - a ZB Student that also used wing-nuts. I knew no better then. I took my new steel all the way out to Gerry Hogan's house down in darkest Berkshire and spent an absorbing afternoon as he kindly showed me (some of) the ropes. I wasn't then accustomed to packing and unpacking my steel and I managed to leave the wing-nuts on Gerry's fireplace.

"No problem," he said when I 'phoned him: "I'll pop them in the post." Two days later a small envelope arrived with a small hole in the bottom-corner. Somewhere in the Royal Mail's system are my ZB's wing-nuts.

We have to remember that while the Encore is a solidly professional steel guitar it is, to some extent, a budget model. This wing-nut thing is not a serious complaint - I'm not sure but, between my three steels, the Encore may be my favourite.

Steve Gabler

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 1 Dec 2016 12:58 pm     ZUM Stage one or GFI S-10 SM

Is the GFI as nice as the ZUM? I want to buy one now. The GFI is available and the ZUM Steels are backordered.

Stu Schulman

Ulster Park New Yawk (deceased)
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 2:35 am    

Beautiful guitars Doug! Winking
Steeltronics Z-pickup,Desert Rose S-10 4+5,Desert Rose Keyless S-10 3+5... Mullen G2 S-10 3+5,Telonics 206 pickups,Telonics volume pedal.,Blanton SD -10,Emmons GS_10...Zirctone bar,Bill Groner Bar...any amp that isn't broken.Steel Seat.Com seats...Licking paint chips off of Chinese Toys since 1952.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 11:03 am     RE: Wing nuts

Winnie Winston suggested in his book that you get some extra wing nuts, and store them on the same bolt that holds the pedal rack, in back of the rack, out of the way.

The pedal racks on the old MSA classics are attached with bolts and wing nuts. I followed Winnie's advise. I only dropped and lost one wing nut while setting up, but I had 2 spares and it was not a problem.

If there is not enough room behind the rack on the bolt, you can always keep a few in your paca-seat.

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2016 2:10 pm    

Doug, Is the blue mica the same color as the Patriot blue that Bruce provided on my 2006 Zum D10? The pictures posted resembles it.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2016 3:33 am     Re: Encore

James Taylor wrote:
This is a very beautiful set on the Encore and certainly adds a nice sparkle to this wonderful instrument. JAMES TAYLOR

Thanks James. Yes I also think Doug has done a fabulous job on my prototype Encore. Definitely ruined his fishing for a while Smile And it has fabulous tone too boot.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2017 9:07 am     Encore

Well Greg, I know you will be well pleased for many years and every best wish too.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 5:48 pm    

Time to ressurect this post. My name is Brian Coulson. I'm new here on the forum and have loved the sound of E9 pedal steel for a very long time. I ordered a black Encore with red pin striping and Doug says it is comin' soon. I can't wait. Question for you guys... is the true tone single pick-up the stock or is the humbucker the stock pick-up? I think I would like the trutone because I'm prob not going to be doing live stuff but more recording in my home. Thanks for any comments.
Aloha

Doug Earnest

Branson, MO USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 7:56 pm    

The TrueTone single coils sound good but are pretty noisy to me, especially if you tend to use more of the last part of the travel of the volume pedal.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2017 8:54 pm    

Hey Doug:
Do you recomend the humbucker over the trutone? I have heard good things about both. By the way, which one is the standard?
Thanks!

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 12:47 pm    

This is a beautiful instrument as illustrated by Paddy Long and wonder if there will be a production on the way in the near future. It has a great sound and very attractive; but wow just look at it now.

[/quote]

Nice!

bob[/quote]

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 1 Sep 2017 1:46 pm     Zum Encore

Hi James,
That is my beautiful prototype Encore. I understand this is a 'one off' according to Doug. No more are planned.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 2:18 am    

Hello James:
Do you have any pics of your encore? I followed this thread a while ago and I don't recall seeing your rig. Apologies if I am wrong. Paddy Long certainly has a one of a kind Encore beauty.

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 2:27 am     Zum Encore

Brian,
That is my Encore not Paddy's. He has two beautiful D10 Zum Hybrids.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 3:22 am    

Hey Greg:
Sorry about that. I'm a little confused.... not the first time and it wont be the last.
Anyhow...beautiful looking encore.

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 12:51 pm    

Greg... how do you like the detachable pad? Does it feel similar to a SD-10's pad?

Brian Coulson

Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 12:56 pm    

James... Now that you have had your encore for a while, is it everything you had hoped it would be. Anything you would do differently now that you have gone through the experience of buying your first pedal steel?

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2017 1:23 pm     Zum Encore

Not my first Pedal Steel. However,yes I find the Pad has the feel of an S10. I would be lost without it. Tried to leave it off but feels funny because the Encore is not as wide as the old S10's. So felt strange. But I guess one can get used to anything. But I prefer the Pad (habit)

No, I would not have done anything differently. As I said in a previous post, Doug is a mine of information and builds a great instrument. Often overlooked too is the fact that the Encore was designed by the 'Master' Bruce Zumsteg. What else can I say?

Mule Ferguson

N Wilkesboro NC,
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2017 5:16 am    

My Serial # 18. Truetone Encore. Test drive by Doug Palmer. Steel player for Crash Carddock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdRwf8QgyE4
Emmons La Grande D10, Zum Encore, Multicord,Marlen S10 1972, Nashville 112, Evans HVP #2, Peavey Profex ll, Martin, Merle Travis D28M Bigsby Neck.
D28 Henderson, Dobro and Tut Bro. Fender Tele, Stelling Stagehorn Banjo

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 1:04 am     Woderful Pedal Steel Guitar ZUM ENCORE

Hi, Greg thank you for your reply and I do know it is a one off as you told me earlier, but it is so beautiful I just had to post it again for the admiration of its beauty; I expect it will appear again and again. Best wishes GREG.

Brian, I would change nothing as it has fulfilled my dreams. You are right I have never ventured my picture nor my guitar on this post, but if you hold the line I will try, although I am not a pretty picture these days. Every success to you and if you have not got one I certainly recommend one. For people with bad backs they are a god send as they are so light. They have a lovely tone and I am well satisfied and not heard a single complaint; you will love it. JAMES

Greg Thompson

Taumarunui, New Zealand
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 4:00 am     Woderful Pedal Steel Guitar ZUM ENCORE

Hi James, my post was in response to Brian's comment. Thought I'd better set the record straight. Anyways Paddy can't have it, he's got two beaut Zum's already - hehe. Can't deny it's a beautiful machine (thanks to both Bruce & Doug)and plays like a dream.Got a real 4hr up-tempo work out yesterday. Still in tune when I got it home, say no more.

I'm with you James with regard to your advice to Brian.
Cheers from NZ

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2017 9:40 am    

Thank you Greg and I agree with it keeping in tune too. It is a lovely design and came for me at the right time as I am getting old, old.

JAMES Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Mark Hershey

New York, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2017 10:07 am    

I've owned mine for over one year and still zero complaints. Probably the only pedal steel I see myself owning from here on out.

James Taylor

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2017 8:56 am     The Royal Steel Guitar--- Encore

Mark, I have had my one now for four years and it is still a beauty and has a lovely tone too. I still love it.
I will never own another one as this will outlast my lifetime and will have to hand it down to some of the grandchildren. One of my granddaughters is doing an honours degree in music so she will be the likely target.
This is a great instrument and it has done me much good and still comes up to all my expectations.

JAMES TAYLOR