The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Recommend me some instrumental steel!
Travis Lyon

From NJ, USA lives in Dublin, IE
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 7:27 am    

I know there are a ton of instrumental/pedal steel oriented albums around, but since there are so many, I don't know where to start. I have Emmons' "Steel Guitar" but to be honest I find it a little cheesy. I heard a Weldon Myrick song "Hot Foot" that I really dug but I don't know what album it's on.

So go ahead, recommend me some steel!

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 7:41 am     Re: Recommend me some instrumental steel!

Travis Lyon wrote:
I know there are a ton of instrumental/pedal steel oriented albums around, but since there are so many, I don't know where to start. I have Emmons' "Steel Guitar" but to be honest I find it a little cheesy. I heard a Weldon Myrick song "Hot Foot" that I really dug but I don't know what album it's on.

So go ahead, recommend me some steel!

Cheese is considered very delicious and nutritious around this Forum.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 8:05 am    

Travis if you have a casette- recorder you may want to get this from the steel guitar forum store.
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=206752&sid=478bb5b651f7941c60caa880082ecf7a

Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 8:31 am    

Hot Foot is on the Pedalman album

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/weldonmyrick2

https://www.google.com/search?q=Weldon+Myrick+pedalman+cd&oq=Weldon+Myrick+pedalman+cd&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

// Anders

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 9:37 am    

Hi, Travis, let us know a little more about your personal tastes and we can steer you to a few. There is so much available, and sometimes hard to find until you start digging, but widely varied in style and approach. Some of the more classic stuff sounds a little dated mix wise, but as with some of the Lloyd Green instrumental stuff, if you can get past the "angel voices" there's some incredible lickage and phrasing to bask in. From the 70's, three of my faves are "Nashville Bar Association", the double "Live at International Steel Guitar Convention 1977" with Emmons (wow), and the record that got me buying a steel- "Suite Steel".

There is more recent stuff from John Hughey, Tommy White, Buck Reid, Paul Franklin, Russ Hicks, Jimmy Crawford, Tom Brumley, Herby Wallace, and many more that still have roots in the classic styles and sounds. If you like swing and pop don't miss the entire Swing Shift Band series with Emmons and Ray Pennington.
As the genres move out of classic country there's all kinds of great stuff from the classical of Mike Perlowin, experimental/ambient stuff from Susan Alcorn, Bruce Kaphan, and Daniel Lanois, jazzy Jim Cohen, Dave Easley, and Doug Jernigan, more rock-oriented stuff from Sneaky Pete Kleinow, Mike Smith, Dan Dugmore, Joe Goldmark, the exceptional new "Rock Of Ages" from Mike Daly, and much, much more.
Hope I gave you a few leads, and enjoy the search!

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 1:59 pm     Here's a couple or three...................

Southern Steel Guitar, Noel Boggs You Tube

Swinging on the Steel, Ray Montee You Tube

Red Skin Rag, Ray Montee You Tube

Texas Steel Guitar, Ray Montee You Tube

Rosette, Howard White You Tube

Sweet Loraina, Ray Montee/Sonny Garrish You Tube

Pan Handle Waltz, Leon McAuliff

Saturday Night Rag, Curley Williams

Joseph Meditz

Sierra Vista, AZ
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 3:23 pm    

"All Those Years," Jimmy Day!

Charles Davidson

Phenix City Alabama, USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 3:39 pm    

My FAVORITE steel album is Frank Arnett's [MODEL T] Don't get much better. YOU BETCHA,DYK?BC.

Douglas Schuch

Valencia, Philippines
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 4:59 pm    

If you like classic country, here is a great Jimmy Day album:

Jimmy and His Buddies, Tribute to Don Helms

This album is out of print, I believe. Amazon lists it used for over $100. Try here:

http://192music.blogspot.com/2012/08/jimmy-day-jimmy-day-and-his-buddies.html

look for the tiny little symbol just below the track list and click on it. Better yet, right-click it, then you can scroll through the very long list of other interesting out-of-print albums.

Currently available, and not country, I recently bought downloads of Mike Daley's covers of classic rock, and the Bruce Kaphan Quartet (jazz) and Jim Cohen's jazz album, and great listening and superb inspiration.

Amazon will not let me download from the Philippines, but I've gotten very interested in Tom Morrell's playing (mostly, non-pedal, mostly Texas Swing). The "Wolf Tracks" album that you can download from Amazon or buy from WesternSwing.net is all instrumental, I believe.

Those will keep you busy for a while!

Doug

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 2 Nov 2012 6:09 pm    

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvzyF6qbig&feature=plcp

Neal Yeagley

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 3:14 am     Just An Opinion:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A72-j7qAPA&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeL-jTeEoHQ&feature=relmfu

Just to give you some incentive. Everytime I watch Danny, he takes my breathe away. Please pay attention to his right foot as he is not using his foot pedal but yet has the tone everyone would like to have, now that is good.

Unfortunately, he has no Cd's out at this time but some of the best jazz recordings out there are Maurice Anderson's Volumes 1-5, from country, pop, rock, and jazz, and Curly Chalker's Big Hits on Big Steel. The latest jazz album of Jim Cohen's is a definite must. For E9th country stuff, Tommy White's Cd, Lloyd Green(any), Buddy Emmons(any), and the late great Jimmy Day(earlier recordings).

I would like to mention that there is so many great steel guitar artists out there and they are all great at what they play. Of course, everyone has their favorite steel guitar players and the type of music they listen too. Another great player, E9th & C6th is the great Doug Jernigan who has a lot of great teaching material out on the market.

My preference of steel guitar players are in no such order: Tommy White, Paul Franklin, Julian Tharpe, Buddy Emmons, and Doug Jernigan. Again this is just my type of music that these players perform. I love jazz.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your weekend. Neal Yeagley
I am the President and CEO of Edit Your Credit in Downingtown, PA. I am a Credit Consultant and specialize in Credit Restoration or Credit Repair depending on what terminology you prefer in a short period of time and probably the cheapest I have been told by many clients. Hobbies are without a doubt steel guitar and all sports especially when it involves my children of eight and my lovely wife. Hope to have fun on here. Thanks for reading! Neal

Neal Yeagley

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 3:18 am     Recommendations:

For tweeking your steel, try Ben Lawson, maybe Jack Stanton, John Ciano, Gordie Wells. If they cannot help you, maybe they would be able to recommened someone in your area. See if you can get up to the PSGA this coming weekend in Connecticut. You would able to listen, buy, and meet people form your state of New Jersey I am sure. Good Luck! Neal
I am the President and CEO of Edit Your Credit in Downingtown, PA. I am a Credit Consultant and specialize in Credit Restoration or Credit Repair depending on what terminology you prefer in a short period of time and probably the cheapest I have been told by many clients. Hobbies are without a doubt steel guitar and all sports especially when it involves my children of eight and my lovely wife. Hope to have fun on here. Thanks for reading! Neal

Travis Lyon

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 9:41 am    

I really dig the more modern, country-fied rock stuff/hot country stuff, the Suite Steel album is great. I also have Cold Steel by Sneaky Pete and love that. I'd love to get my hands on Pacific Steel Co. but I can't find it anywhere, I think it's long out of print. Sneaky Pete, J.D. Maness, and Red Rhodes all tickle my fancy. I'd also like to get my hands on some of the more classic country ones though. What are some good ones by Lloyd Green or Emmons? It seems difficult to find a place to buy this stuff. I don't know about any others, but if there is no place to find Pacific Steel Co. anymore, could someone send it to me?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 9:46 am    

Pacific Steel is available in cassette form right here on b0b's Steel Guitar Shopper. See the link at the top of this page.

Maybe you can record from there to disc.

It's a great one. I've played my old cassette over and over for many years.

Sneaky Pete put out a vinyl LP in the 70's. Self titled on Shiloh Records SLP 4086. Might still be around somewhere.

Scotty's Music had some of these older recordings as well so you might check there if you can't find them.

Travis Lyon

Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 10:25 am    

Any place to get it in CD/mp3 form? I don't want to sound too picky here, but cassettes usually have pretty rough sound quality, especially on the low end of the spectrum. Also I don't have a cassette player, although I have been planning on getting a record player if it's around in that form.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 10:36 am    

I don't know of any other source. Good Luck.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 3 Nov 2012 1:21 pm    

If you like Sneaky Pete, definitely look out for 'The Legend and the Legacy" double-length Cd, has lots of his best stuff on it and some surprises. Great tone and some of his coolest playing.

Wade Romonosky

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 2:07 pm    

I restore records and sell them along with a cd. I have several albums done and a bunch more to do. I have a Sneaky Pete album on Shilo Records if your interested in that or anything else let me know.
Thanks
Wade

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 2:35 pm     Re: Recommend me some instrumental steel!

Travis Lyon wrote:
I don't know where to start. I have Emmons' "Steel Guitar" but to be honest I find it a little cheesy.

The whole album?!? Whoa!

If you practice another 30 years, with luck, you'll be able to sound just as "cheesy". Laughing

Take it from me...it ain't easy being cheesy. Winking

Chris Walke

St Charles, IL
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2012 1:29 pm    

My favorite steel guitarist is Greg Leisz. Wish he would make an instrumental album that he fronts. But he's always a sideman, in high demand. Wade thru his discography:

http://www.allmusic.com/artist/greg-leisz-mn0000154702/credits

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2012 4:45 pm    

The Texas Troubador recordings are good and have lots of steel.I believe there is a collection of their stuff called Almost to Tulsa.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2012 6:47 pm    

I just bought the LP that this is on from the Forum store. The album is by Jimmy Day and it is called "Steel and Strings".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l350dIR4ehQ

John Richmond

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2012 11:24 am    

Travis, steel guitar doesn't get any better than Buddy Emmons JMHO. However, there are so many great recordings available of different steel players:Paul Franklin, Jr., Robert Randolph, John Hughey, Hal Rugg, Russ Hicks, David Hartley, Jay Dee Maness, Susan Alcorn, Mike Johnson, Sonny Garrish, Junior Knight, Dickey Overbey, Cindy Cashdollar, just to name a few. Plus many, many more.

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 11:19 am    

when i started out i knew of 20 or so great players that i would never be able to come close to. now, with the steel guitar forum, there are at least 2000. it's hard to nail down even a 'top 100' anymore.

Jason Rumley

Foley, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 11 Nov 2012 11:35 am    

No one's posted my favorite album yet.. Brisbane Bop with guitarist Jimmy Rivers and steel picker Vance Terry. Great swing album.