The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tube Works Real Tube 2, steel mod?
Travis Lyon

From NJ, USA lives in Dublin, IE
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 1:39 pm    

My teacher, monster player, and fellow forumite Gary L. Gimble kindly gave me one of these pre-amps and told me to seek out "the steel mod" for it, something about it clipping unless a few capacitors are replaced or something. I was wondering where I could get this done, or if I can't, how I can do it myself?

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 22 Oct 2012 2:45 pm    

www.genzbenz.com is the contact for the old BK Butler TubeWorks products now, but I don't know whether they can or will still install the steel mod.

There might be someone around here that still has the modded schematic, but I don't know of anyone.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 1:49 am    

I talked to Genz Benz support, when I had one of those preamps. The only ones they will mod is the model that they made. The original ones, made by GK Butler, they will not mod. Their stated reason was they did not have full documentation on those. That's a lame excuse but not much that you can do.

I asked them about the mod and I would work on my preamp (I'm an ex amp tech) but they wouldn't supply the mod information either.

Edit/Added: I have a schematic for the original model preamp, that was faxed to me by Genz Benz. If you want that you can e-mail me (via the forum link).

Travis Lyon

From NJ, USA lives in Dublin, IE
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 6:46 am    

The manual on mine says "a division of Genz Benz" so I think I may be in luck. I've gone and contacted them and I'm waiting on a response.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 6:56 am    

That may or may not indicate it was made by Genz Benz. Look on the preamp for any tags. It may have just been a Genz Benz issued manual.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 7:07 am    

Is yours a model 9002? If so, it is the later Genz Benz model, but it's been discontinued according to their site.

The earlier one was labeled 922, if I recall correctly, and had the BK Butler stamp on it.

Good luck with it either way.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 7:28 am    

Most of the Tube Works preamps with the steel mod are the Blue Tube II models.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 23 Oct 2012 8:04 am    

That's true of the older Butler models. They built the RT922 Real Tube II pretty much for heavy guitar and the RT924 Blue Tube II for calmer use like for blues application.

That's the one they modded for steel, but the later black 9002 after GB took over was labeled Real Tube II, had a decal of a tube on front and was the one they modded for players like Herby Wallace in the later years.

There was no Blue Tube II anymore after the Genz Benz acquisition.