The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jackson Steel Players-What do you love about Jackson Steel?
Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2012 9:32 am    

Johnny Cox wrote:
I love everything about them. I'm partial to the Shot Jackson/Madison 63 which David tells me that are the same model now. The tone is amazing in these guitars. My new Shot Jackson is on order now. I hope I will have it in time for SWSGA show in January.

Johnny, that steel is called the Shot Jackson Classic.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 2:20 pm     Fixed Copedant and Swiveling Tuner Questions

As I am looking into buying a Jackson that is now up for sale, I wanted to know if the copedant can be changed and how those "swiveling tuners work and why they are used.

Can someone who has a Jackson Madison please comment on that. From what Herb asked and Lynn answered, it does not seem possible to change the lowers:

Post Posted 21 Oct 2012 10:17 am Swiveling Tuners Reply with quote
Herb Steiner wrote:
Lynn, all...
Am I correct in assuming that on the Madison 63 and other Jackson models with the swiveling tuners that the copedent is fixed for what strings are lowered and therefore modifying the raises/lowers is problematic?

Herb, yes, you are correct in your statement.

Thanks, stevet

steve takacs

Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 2:21 pm     Fixed Copedant and Swiveling Tuner Questions

Sorry, double post. stevet

Last edited by steve takacs on 30 Aug 2015 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total

Lynn Stafford

Ridgefield, WA USA
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 3:01 pm     Jackson Guitars

Steve,

The swiveling tuners work very well, in my opinion. I never had any problems with the guitar staying in tune. The tuning machines that swivel are mounted on a plate with a lever that goes through a slot in the cabinet, which is connected to a release rod that is actuated by a pedal or lever. The nylon tuning nuts for these lowers are accessed through dedicated holes milled in the left end plate. The bell cranks are movable, so the copedent can be changed (Emmons to Day, for example) but trust me, working on these guitars is not for a novice! Different length rods may be needed and rod return springs may need to be moved, etc.

STEEL GUITAR WEST
http://www.steelguitarwest.com
Steel Guitar Technician (Restoration, Set-up, Service and Repair work)

Previous Emmons Authorized Dealer & Service Technician (original factory is now closed)

ZumSteel Authorized Service Technician
----------------------------------

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 4:15 pm    

thanks lynn, i think that's the info steve was trying to get from the seller!

John Boogerd

Calgary, Canada
Post  Posted 28 Aug 2015 5:54 pm    

I really have no experience to compare my Jackson to any others - I bought it from Charlie Tryon recently to learn to play again after a 40 plus year hiatus - at that time I had a little rented Gibson 6-string with 3 pedals. I sure love this guitar, though, in the way it looks and the way it sounds.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 29 Aug 2015 1:42 pm     Jackson BlackJack

I too have a Jackson BlackJack... great guitar, sounds wonderful. I've been an engineer for about 40 years & I don't see much problem with moving things around. But like Lynn said, it ain't for the novice.

I've had 4 Sho~Buds, 4 Sierras, 2 Msa's & this BlackJack over 40 years. I've enjoyed them all, but I do like the precision work on the Sierras, MSAs & this BlackJack

steve takacs

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 6:40 pm     Thanks for explaining, Lynn

Lynn, thanks for the crystal clear explanation about those swiveling tuning machines. This is the information I have been trying to get. I'm not exactly sure why Jackson used this approach. Do you see any advantages that it has over the usual all-pull steels when it comes to lowers? I can't see that it would affect the tone, for example nor would the lowers be more precise. Since I have never played a Jackson, I was hoping some of the owners would tell us the advantages of these swiveling tuners.

Charley, with 40 years experience as an engineer, I would assume you would have no problem changing the copedant. What about the rest of us mere mortals? I'm not a novice when it comes to changing copedant on an all-pull but am concerned about my ability to make changes on the Jackson.

As others have said, I'd rather spend more time viewing the top of the guitar and playing it rather than tinkering on the underside. I can only see bad things happening were I to attempt making changes on those Jackson lowers.

Thanks guys, stevet

Dave Meis

Olympic Peninsula, Washington, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2015 8:19 pm    

Here's mine...

I currently own a Sho-Bud Pro III, a Sierra Session and an older Sierra, and the Jackson is my go-to. I love it! Tone, stability, playability, I love the pups.. it's got it all for me!

Steve Waltz

USA
Post  Posted 31 Aug 2015 1:40 pm    

Steve,

I think the whole idea is that the finger is one solid part which should increase sustain and potentially have a different sound. I have an early 60's permanent and it has single piece fingers. Because of it being a pull release, you have to do things in a different way as far as building the underside of the guitar.

Charley Bond

Inola, OK, USA
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2015 11:11 am     Jackson Steels

Jackson Steel Guitar Co makes some great Steel Guitars.

I have a BlackJack S-10... wonderful instrument. It is also not too heavy that an old man (73) can't pick it up, in the case. The case also has rollers (removable), which makes it much easier to move things around. It's like having a built in dolly,

However, David Jackson told me this model/style Steel Guitar has been retired from their line of Steel Guitars. That's too bad, because it is a sweet instrument.

Thanks to Jackson Steel Guitars for some great Steel Guitars.

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 7 Sep 2015 8:27 am    

I love my Jackson BlackJack Custom SD-10 with a pad for a lot of reasons. When I went to Harry Jackson's little shop behind his house, he and David had set up several steels for me to "test drive". They had a BlackJack, a Blackjack Custom, an Ultra Lite, and a Shot Jackson Commemorative model. The first guitar they put in front of me was the Blackjack Custom and I tried it out and was amazed with the sound, tone, playability-the guitar itself, then I tried the regular Blackjack and it sounded great too, but I loved the Blackjack Custom. David asked me which guitar I liked, and I said I liked the Blackjack Custom and he said, "It's the guitar I built for you". The Blackjack Custom of mine is now called "Black Diamond" and has a wonderful home in Pickens, SC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger