Author Topic:  magnum pro select,made by carter,
Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 9:18 am    

I have the opportunity to buy one of these
single necks at a real good price. the only thing is,
being slightly over 6' tall, It's difficult to fit
my legs under it. This is in addition to raising the
back legs that 3\4 of an inch maximum. Does anybody own one that could give me some insight. Its a great sounding instrument,very stable, excellent shape.
Since carter is out of business, and if you needed parts, you would have to order them from al brisco in canada. That could be costly. Does anybody know if you could get parts here in america?
Thank you Lee dassow
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 9:37 am    

Parts are only available from Al. The price is not bad, it's the ridiculous minimum charges he has. I inquired with Michael Yahl if he would be interested in making Carter parts, but he said no because parts were still available from Al. You could probably find someone in the states to make you any parts you need, but that would far surpass Al's prices.

As far as the height of the guitar, you can put a lift kit that several sell on it to lift it 1 to 2 inches. I have a 1" kit on my Carter and it did nothing to the stability of the guitar.

The lift kits that are for sale are a little costly too. You can save a bunch of money by going to Ace Hardware, Orchard Supply, or any another good hardware store and just buying the parts and making them yourself. You need the threaded spacers (1/2", 1", 2" - whatever you need), set screws to go into the spacer to connect to the ball joint (3/4" is what I used to allow a good amount inside the spacer and also the ball joint), loc-tite to hold the set screw in the spacer, and 2 pieces of round tubing, preferably metal, to go in between the pedal bar on the leg and the clutch. The Carter pedal rods on my guitar are 10-32 thread, I would assume the Magnum to be the same.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 1:15 pm    

I had a Magnum and had the same problem with it. Carter and Magnum guitars are slightly lower then most others. The thing is, the body of the guitar is shallower, so if you use standard length legs, you end up about 3/4" lower then standard. With the shallower body, everything mounted under is just that much lower too. I made left kits for the Carter and Magnum guitars I had, and that took care of it. If you like the guitar, and it's a good deal, this is not a major reason to avoid buying it.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 3:42 pm    

Another thing, because the front legs on the Magnum are not adjustable, you have to add the extra length at the top of the leg. You need a spacer that will screw onto the the existing leg threads, and also have a 1/2-13 thread on the other end that will screw into the guitar. Carter made lift kits for the Carter Starter of this type. So if you can find one of those kits, it will work fine.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 4:11 pm    

Check with Jerry Roller. Jerry is in Arkansas, and a member here on the forum. I think He has had Magnums from time to time. He might be of some help.

Mitchell Smithey

Dallas, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 6:30 pm    

For the back legs you can just get longer 1/2"x13 studs to replace the 2" ones on the adjusters. Front will need a lift kit.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 7:13 pm    

Quote:
Another thing, because the front legs on the Magnum are not adjustable, you have to add the extra length at the top of the leg.

Really??? Why are they not adjustable?

If that is true, I wouldn't buy it.

Brian McGaughey

Orcas Island, WA USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 8:49 pm    

Richard Sinkler wrote:
Parts are only available from Al. The price is not bad, it's the ridiculous minimum charges he has.

I bought some Carter parts from Al about a year ago. His mininum then was $40 if I remember right.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 9:47 pm    

Still is $40. That's high for someone that only needs one $5 part. I heard his minimum for Paypal was $100. Read that here I believe, but never saw it on his website. May or may not be true.

Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 4:26 am    

difficulty obtaining parts were why I sold my Magnum a few years back. It took forever for the parts to ship from Canada. Another note, Al told me there are no more Magnum parts available. The carter parts will work, but some of them are made bit different.
Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb

David Nugent

Gum Spring, Va.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 8:56 am    

You may be able to replace the stock aluminum legs with steel legs (stock legs from a Carter?) as long as the threads in the legs match the end plate sockets. This method will give you the option of either obtaining the longer legs you require or if unavailable, the use of a readily available lift kit. (Will add a slight bit of weight to the guitar, but may also help make it more stable).

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 8:57 am    

I have a Magnum D10 and never intend to sell it. I love to play it. It plays very easy and sound great to me. It is also very easy to work on. I don't know of a guitar that is easier to change pulls on. I also make lift kits for the Magnum that works very well. I have a 1" lift on mine.
Jerry

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 9:26 am     magnum pro select pedal steel guitar

hi fellows,
First I,d like to thank everybody,for their input.
It turned out that when I looked at the steel guitar in this guys house, It had been sitting on some thick carpeting. Once I got it home in my studio on my indoor, outdoor carpet it was fine. I raised the
rear leg adjusters as far as I could, also the verticle lever about a 1\4 inch and it was fine. Just Sounds great through my 65 fender super reverb. One thing more I'd like to add, Looking at the changer fingers, I think its a better design than my s-10 BMI, IMHO they seem more stable.
Thanks again lee
2015 Mullen D-10 Royal Precision 9x8,-1990 BMI S-10 5x5-1972 Silver face Fender pro Reverb amp,-1965 Fender Super Reverb Amp,- 1966 Fender Showman Amp Two 15" JBL speakers,- 2006 65 Fender Twin Reverb reissue Amp,- 1982 Peavey Session 500 amp,-1978 Peavey Session 400,Goodrich Volume Pedals,John Pearse Steel Bars,

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 12:52 pm    

Cool. Congrats.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 2:00 pm     magnum pro select,made by carter,

Hey richard,
you know I spoke to soon. After sitting here playing this guitar my legs still dont have enough clearance. plus I,m not used to a double body and
that stupid pad. tried putting 3\4 pieces of ply
under the legs, right height, of course the floor
pedals are to high. I noticed you have a double
neck carter in that picture. Left knee levers on
mine seem to be farther to the right than on my BMI.
Are your left leg knee levers like that too. If
jerry has that one inch lift kit, looks like I'll
have to get it. Also the pedal rods need to be
longer. Looks like it wont be much of a bargain.
thanks lee

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 2:10 pm    

If you need replacement legs ,talk to Don Burrows,he makes & sells legs in any length you need,also leg sockets for lap steels too.He may be able to reproduce a part for you too,don't know about that,you'll need to talk to him.He has a link on the "links tab" at the top of the page

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 2:53 pm     Re: magnum pro select,made by carter,

Lee...if you contacted Bud Carter at ETS steel guitars, I'm sure he'd make what you need. As you know he was the man who designed the Carters, and he's the type of person who would be very helpfull to a request like that.

Micky Byrne

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 4:27 pm     magnum pro select,made by carter,

ransom and micky,thank you very much for that
information,There are some wonderful and
knowledgeable people on this forum. lee

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 1:21 am    

Can someone post pics of the legs on a Magnum. I've seen pictures of Magnum guitars before but never noticed different style legs.

I can't really answer the knee lever placement question as I have never seen a BMI in person that I can remember. It could be that the Magnum has the knee levers in the most common locations and the BMI doesn't.

Sounds Like Jerry can get you dialed in. The Magnum should be a good guitar. One time, when I was talking to John Fabian, he told me the Magnum was basically a Carter that they standardized the production of, and made it to be sold strictly by dealers and not direct from the factory. Any additional pedals/knee levers would be handled by the dealer. I was under the impression that there was little difference.

How much is the guitar? Could still be a good deal even if you have to buy a lift kit for $30 bucks or so. They are really easy and cheap to make yourself too.

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 6:28 am    

The Magnums play nicely, and sound good, but I didn't care for the gray painted legs and other aluminum parts. I think they should have made them black, gray just looks too plain to me. Here is a picture of the Magnum I had. You can see the small spacers at the top of the legs. I did also put longer threaded rods at the bottom of the rear legs. Raising it 1" brought it up to "normal" height.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 8:05 am    

Thanks Bill. Seeing those and knowing the problem at hand, I would avoid that guitar unless it was priced real low. That way you could invest in some of the standard type legs that are adjustable. You could also get some longer pedal rods to match the height you need, or use the ones you have with some lifts on it. It's all a matter of economics at this point.

EDIT: I missed Bill's spacers at the top of the legs. That looks like a real good solution. I wish I had something like that on my Carter for the lift kit I have on mine, instead of the piece of aluminum pipe that really doesn't look too good.

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 8:31 am     magnum pro select,made by carter,

hi richard and bill,
Thanks for uploading that picture bill. mine is
just as clean as that one looks. It's red colored
mica. Looking at picture; the lkl is between the b and c pedal. On the BMI the cross bar is between a and b pedals,lkr is moved over to the left respectively. With this guitar I have to twist my foot to the right to depress a and b, and I'm already pushing against lkl. I can play this thing, it's a little annoying. This is just an interim guitar don fritche at BMI is rebuilding my old 92 S-10. Richard I saw your web sight, very nice,Its good to see that there's work in the San Francisco Bay area. Paid 1400.00 for it. Musically yours lee
Oh yeh if you guys want to have some laugh's, I'm on you tube,- generationsband2012 - I,m the one standing.

Last edited by Lee Dassow on 22 Sep 2012 2:26 pm; edited 1 time in total

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 9:00 am    

Lee, the legs are standard 1/2-13 threads same as on most all modern guitars other such as Carter, Zum, Emmons, Rains so you could replace the legs with those type legs if you wish. Mullen used a different size a few years ago and I don't know if they have changed or not. The Magnum is a easy playing tone machine. Don't let the grey powdercoat on the aluminum parts fool you. There are a lot of very expensive guitars that don't play as well or sound as good as a Magnum with the right pickups in it.
Jerry

Lee Dassow

Jefferson, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 2:57 pm     magnum pro select,made by carter,

Thanks for the info on the legs Jerry. There's
something I noticed on mine, and I wasn't sure if
they made yours like that. That is after the rod goes through the hole in the changer finger, the plastic adjuster on mine just butts up to the metal changer finger. No bullet spacer? Is yours like that. Could be a friction point. Mines an 06, Made in the 4th quarter of the year. THANKS LEE

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 22 Sep 2012 8:40 pm    

Lee, there is not bullet spacer. The only guitar that I know of that has the bullet spacer is BMI. Many others have a spacer (not bullet nosed) between the finger and tuning nut but the Magnum does not.
Jerry