The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A beginners journey learning the PSG.
Bill L. Wilson

Oklahoma, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 10:31 pm    

Tim, welcome to the wacky world of pedal steel. After playing steel for a few months, I was able to start doing recording sessions, on little gospel records. At first I played flat most of the time, but my ear improved, I bought better quality steels, I practiced, and I'll never be Paul Franklin, but I guarantee I have just as much fun and enjoyment. I listen to Paul, Buddy, Doug, Jay Dee, Tom Brumley, Eddie Dunlap, Tommy White, Sonny Garish, Pete Drake, Weldon Myrick, Lloyd Green..... and the incomparable Jimmy Day, who I had the pleasure of playing with in Dallas a month before his passing. He let me play the Mullen BLUE DARLIN', and I must say, I was in hog heaven. Sadly, a month later, I was in Austin Texas, looking at the Mullen BLUE DARLIN', with a Webb amp plugged in and turned on, but it was silent, with all the songs Jimmy had played on, coming over the sound system. Memories I'll never forget. Bless you Tim, and don't give up.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 3:42 pm    

Thanks again for those with words of encouragement and advice.

Quick update...I signed up for Skype lessons with Joe Wright and my 1st lesson was this past Wednesday. Everything went great. When he talks you can hear the passion he has for the PSG. He corrected the things I was doing wrong already..holding bar, plucking strings instead of pulling them and then gave me some things to work on. He talked everything simple to me so it was easy to follow. Here is how it works..you pay for what you want thru paypal...he emails you and you both agree on the date and time...sign up for Skype and get camera working...request him as a contact on Skype and then when its time for your lesson he rings you thru Skype and you are connected to each other. After the lesson he sends you the video of it from beginning to end so if you dont remember something you can watch the lesson again.Very easy. I was kind of a little worried at first because on his site it says he has 9 cameras for different views. My first thought was how am I going to follow 9 different pictures? Come to find out all 9 are not on at the same time. Whatever he wants to show you thats the camera he turns on for a close up view so it was only one on at a time.

Had a humming noise coming thru my amp (nashville 112) so I searched the net and everything I could find was about the reverb causing it. That wasnt my problem...it hummed wherever the reverb was set. So I called Duane (who I purchased it thru and asked him about it. The 1st words out of his mouth were "If there is something wrong with the amp he would pay the shipping back and make it right". That right there just got him a repeat customer for when I need something else. He had me try different settings but it didnt work. Then he said to try a different chord and plug in a different instrument into it to see if the hum was still there. So today I plugged in a electric guitar into it and no hum at all. I called Duane back and he said its the pickup on the PSG. He said single pickups cause it. He also told me to move the amp away from the guitar and try plugging it into a different outlet as they could contribute to the hum. Doing those things reduced the hum for me. He said it will also seem pronounced because Im playing it in a small enclosed room. All is good now and Im a happy camper.

Thats about it for now. Next Skype lesson is Wednesday.

Take care all.

EDITED to add this link.
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
It looks like a lot of effort was put in it by different people. Thought I would pass it along.

Last edited by Tim Vandeville on 22 Sep 2012 5:51 am; edited 2 times in total

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 21 Sep 2012 5:02 pm    

Tim, that sounds great. I've been considering some Skype lessons, too. I got one guy in mind, hope he's still doing it, but Joe Wright wouldn't be a bad guy to learn from. Haha! That's awesome.
-Dan

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2012 5:49 pm    

Here is my 1st months update:

4 lessons total. 1 in person and 3 skype.
1-2 hours a day practice (missed 1 day of practice because because I had a great time the night before and ended up paying for it by being a puddle the next day)

Main things Ive learned (Am working on)
Sitting position...same place everytime
Hand placement
Bar placement and how to hold it.
Right hand..right hand...right hand without looking at it
Pick blocking
So far Im up to doing triads (3 strings) up and down and down and up. Then its 2 strings using different fingers each time up and down and down and up. Then its on to individual picking... 2 strings at a time up and down. I figured out pretty quick it gets annoying if I keep hitting open strings all the time so I work up and down the frets to change the sound up.

It took a little getting used to trying to make my fingers do what they were suppose to at first because of what I call the 47 inch mile. I call it that because its 47 inches from my brain to my fingertips but sometimes it may as well be a mile. I know its 47 inches because I had the wife measure it...then spent the next 30 minutes explaining how she really didnt waste 20 seconds of her life before she finally rolled her eyes and walked away..lol.

The 1st time it happened was when I was working on pulling 2 strings and trying to keep the 3rd finger planted (It was pull with the T and M while not lifting the I) Now as much as my brain was telling my fingers to move they wouldnt. I dont know where that thought went but it sure wasnt to my fingers. After what seemed like a long time the thought finally made it but must have gotten mixed up somewhere because my fingers didnt move like they were suppose to.

I expect that to happen plenty of times (thats why I had to name it something). Thats ok because it just takes time to get used to doing something new.

Everything I practice starts out slow so I can learn it correctly. I dont worry about speed because as Ive found out it picks up after getting the basic of what Im trying to learn down.

I am at the point now where Im not looking at my fingers and can place them where they need to be 90% of the time. Its not perfect so more work needs to be done. I rewatched my 1st Skype lesson and am happy at where I am at now compared to then. Its a long race but I made it out of the starting gate.

Thats about it. Having a blast and not looking back.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2012 1:01 am    

Month #2 is in the books.
The most important lesson learned this month is to know your learning style and talk to your instructor before you sign up for lessons to make sure there teaching style and your learning style are compatable. I didnt because that thought never crossed my mind. After a few lessons with Joe it became apparent to me that how I need to learn and how he teaches are to far apart so I made the decision to change instructors. I dont want anyone reading this to take it the wrong way. I am NOT knocking how Joe teaches. If I could have adapted to him I would still be there. So I would like to thank Joe for teaching me what he did (I rewatched the 1st lesson and can see the progress that was made because of him) and wish him the best.

Now the search was on for another instructor. Because Im a newer than new newbie this wasnt as easy as I thought it would be. After searching the net for hours (no joke) I found a local player thats been playing 30 years. I took a few lessons from him and everything went good. The only problem that I worried about was he just got a gig that has him traveling so I have to catch him when he is back in town. No big deal...everyone has to make a living.

Finally found a person to take Skype lessons from that fits my learning style...completely structured lesson plan. Because Im heading out of town for deer hunting (yes the psg goes with)the 1st lesson will be on the 28th. Till then I still practice everything that has been taught to me so far.

Bought Dave Andersons download for Silent Night. Very well done and it was pretty easy to learn because of how he explains it. The other main thing I learned from the lesson was that the AB pedals do not have to be pressed at the same time when it calls for it in the tab. The B can be pressed and rock on to the A to get the sound I like the most. Not everytime mind you but there are places where it fits. Money well spent for this download.

Ill end this update with a crash and burn moment of the month. Joe showed me a very easy lick to do. So after the lesson I was working on it and then I hit it perfectly. So do I keep working on it? NO I call in my fan base (wife and dog) and say those fatal words "hey listen to this". The 47 inch mile kicks in right away but no problem I can do this. Hit the wrong pedals..correct to the right ones..hit the strings..pump the A pedal a little to late...sound is fading so I have the volume pedal buried like a Nascar driver going for the checkered flag...all I have to do is slide to the 8th fret and release the A. Slide to the 7 3/4 and then overcorrect to the 8 1/2 before finding my mark on the 8. The dog got up and left the room. The wifes asks "what was that?". Now I have 3 choices to choose from. A. I could tell her that I completely messed up and need to practice more. B. Try to convince her that it sounded right and maybe she was tone deaf. C. Tell her thats not how its suppose to sound but I wanted her to hear it so she could have something to compare it to when I did get it down pat. I went with C. She just rolled her eyes and joined the rest of my fan base in the other room.

Thats about it. Have a great Tanksgiving everyone. See you next month.

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2012 8:54 am     Learning Steel

Tim, as one least qualified to offer advice allow me to chime in on this, I would like others to comment on this approach also.Don't take this wrong but here goes.For now, set the steel in the corner and put a cover over it. Go to your local pawn shop and pick up a cheap acoustic guitar, learn all chords, A thru G. Learn a few simple songs, (You are my Sunshine, Tenn Waltz Ect) and sing or hum along as you play the rhythm. Learn to recognize (feel) when to change chords with out having to see it in a book. If you take this approach and it works for you I believe it will increase your speed on learning the steel many times over. Good luck, thanks for being honest at the beginning.
Text rayssteel@gmail.com or email

Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2012 11:11 am    

Hi Tim,
Firstly - welcome to the world of the obsessed. Without some good healthy obsession there is little hope of reaching the epiphanies required to keep your head in the game.

Lessons - GREAT!
Practicing things taught - XLNT
Bill Keith/Winnie Winston book - it's our bible.

I've been at it over 20 years now and am still making discovery after discovery - and I play a lot!
It took me a good year on the thing before I could play anything that sounded like music, and I'd been a musician for 25 years leading to that. Be discouraged at times but DON'T QUIT!

My most rewarding breakthroughs were while doodling trying to figure out how some mysterious fill or intro was played. Just learning one's way around the different ways that the same phrase can be executed was the most stimulating prod which has kept me going.

If your obsession is strong it will propel you through many a breakthrough and a fulfilling ride!

All the best!
Tim

Tim Fleming

Pasadena, CA. The other Rose City (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2012 11:17 am    

Oh, and with regards to your "crash and burn moment", answers A and C are correct - You're gonna need those many, many more times so just skip the subterfuge. Your wife will have you sussed out quickly.
Dogs always forgive -

Smile

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 25 Nov 2012 4:15 pm    

Ray, Trust me you are not the first person to tell me to go that way. For right now I am dead set against doing it. The way I figure it is if I wanted to play a guitar I would have bought one. Ive got myself covinced that I can learn it all on the PSG. I know Im going abut it the hardest way possible and I am ok with that. I just have to prove to myself that I cant do it my way. The plan is 4 Skype lessons and then an honest assesment of whether Im catching on or not. If Im not catching on then its the guitar route. If Im forced to go that way I can live with it (wont like it but can live with it).

John Scanlon

Jackson, Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 10:59 am    

Congrats, Tim. Hats off. I've always wondered how many out there play pedal steel only with no other experience on any other instrument.

I am one of many who had years of six-stringing before I attempted pedal steel, and it definitely helps me. That said, the six-string guitar fingerboard is so ingrained in me that I have trouble thinking quickly on a PSG fretboard. I still have to translate in my head something new on PSG through my six-string knowledge (like comparable chord shapes on a six string - or having a guitar-related understanding of what pedal combinations do). That could be viewed as a hindrance just as much as a help - you will not have these issues. The one thing about many instructional books for me is that a lot of time is spent on theory and basic music background that I felt I didn't need as much as pedal-steel-specific technique. (Not that a refresher isn't helpful, but I had years of theory study and other sources for that). Comes with "one size fits all" territory of writing a single book for hundreds of players. Mickey's book may be very helpful to you in this regard, however. If you feel you need to fill some gaps, supplement Mickey's stuff with the Winnie Winston book. It's a classic for a reason.

One thing - play along with records, CDs, YouTube, etc., as much as possible. Make that just as big of a part of your practice routine as exercises.

Good luck!

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 11:23 am    

Tim - the best student I've had among many is a young man named Brandon Ordoyne from Needville, TX - he's a forum member here. He came to me with NO musical experience at all, except for some karaoke singing. He has become a fine steel player, and he understands music theory and how to apply it to his steel guitar. He plays regularly in a band, and I throw gigs his way from time to time - I have no problem recommending him in most situations.

He picked up six-string guitar after steel.

The point being - do it your way, but just do it! Laughing

Best of luck, Jody

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 4:32 pm    

John, Jody and Tim..Thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Daniel Policarpo

Post  Posted 26 Nov 2012 8:12 pm    

Chords and melodies are chords and melodies on any instrument. Learning to sing may be the most basic and direct course. I hear Dickie Overbey is a great singer. I played guitar for almost 30 years, and have a much better understanding of theory and the structure of many musics through learning the pedal steel than I ever gained through playing guitar. The six-string gave me a little bit of foundation, but nothing that couldn't be picked up playing any other instrument in a few weeks. Looking back on it, though I was able to get decent on guitar, it was not a natural fit. I am learning much more efficiently with the steel. The next guy over, it could be piano, or tuba, but for me, I get the pedal steel. I need those levers and pedals, lap steel didn't work for me either. The pedal steel makes sense and feels good in a way that guitar never really did, no matter how many gigs I did.

I like this thread you posted. I get a kick out of your experiences (my dog leaves the room when I start playing, at least yours stuck around for a bit)and you are a fine writer.
All the best,
-Dan

John Peay

Cumming, Georgia USA
Post  Posted 27 Nov 2012 12:03 pm     Learning Steel...

Daniel Policarpo wrote:
...I played guitar for almost 30 years, and have a much better understanding of theory and the structure of many musics through learning the pedal steel than I ever gained through playing guitar. The six-string gave me a little bit of foundation, but nothing that couldn't be picked up playing any other instrument in a few weeks. Looking back on it, though I was able to get decent on guitar, it was not a natural fit. I am learning much more efficiently with the steel. The next guy over, it could be piano, or tuba, but for me, I get the pedal steel. I need those levers and pedals, lap steel didn't work for me either. The pedal steel makes sense and feels good in a way that guitar never really did, no matter how many gigs I did.

I like this thread you posted. I get a kick out of your experiences (my dog leaves the room when I start playing, at least yours stuck around for a bit)and you are a fine writer.
All the best,
-Dan

Man, I can relate to so much of what you said here, Dan. I also much prefers pedals and levers to slants. And not just the ease of it, but the sound of it. And I too am really enjoying your thread here, Tim!

I'm still a beginner too, been playing a year and half now...A few months before I got the steel bug I had started on a journey to improve my knowledge of music theory. This was very instrumental (pun intended) in my steel study, and has also helped my 6-stringing.

Then when I started playing steel, and still to some extent, I found that I heard chord changes better with a 6-string in my lap than I do while sitting at my steel. Or even if I'm just thinking about fretting a 6-string, my ear seems better. So, while playing 6-string has no doubt helped me in several areas, I don't think not playing it is a huge disadvantage in learning pedal steel.

Take a few run-throughs of this audio "harmony course" that I think is helpful in identifying chord changes and the associated music theory. While very basic in the theory aspect, it really focuses on the "ear" part of things. For me anyway, I need both the "ear" part, and the theory part.

http://www.musicawareness.com/index.html

Last edited by John Peay on 29 Nov 2012 6:33 am; edited 1 time in total

Norman Boling

Paragould Arkansas, Philadelphia TN USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2012 5:29 am     Sound

Like yourself

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2012 1:15 am    

Here is a back story before I update. When I was first looking for Skype lessons I had contacted John McClung because he was recommended in this thread. He sent me an outline of his lesson plan and it looked like a great fit for me. Then I got to the part that said he did not take students that had zero music theory (that would be me). So I called him and he explained his reasons why. When he tried to teach theory and PSG at the same time it didnt work out because it was to much for the students to grasp. He explained what I should do to get some theory experience and then he would take me on as a student. It involved a guitar and if have been reading this thread you know my feelings on that. Extremely nice and helpful guy to talk to.

So after while looking for Skype teachers this last time I took a chance and contacted John again for a recommndation of a teacher that could get me up to speed on the theory part using the PSG so I could then take lessons from him. Long story short...he agreed to take take me on as a student. He is willing to make some adjustments to his lesson plan to help me succeed.

Update...Last Wed I had my first lesson with John. Before the lesson you get an email with plan for lesson #1. (There are 18 total to complete the course) Detailed is the understatement of the year. It was 47 pages long. Its long because it includes what will be taught and all the exercises you will practice before the next lesson. An example would be string groups...3 different excercises with one buiding upon the next. It goes so far as to tell you what you set the metronome at when starting out. The most important thing about his plan is its in a logical order and makes sense. He also send you 2 versions of a song you will be applying the lesson to. One at full speed and one at 90%.

The lesson went great. John broke everything down so I could understand what I was learning. I thought my confidence level was high before the lesson...it went thru the roof after because this is exactly how I need to learn. Because everything else is in place I have complete control of my destiny. How much effort I put in will determine how far I go.

After the lesson John sends you an audio file of it. I asked and recieved permission to video record the lesson on my end because its easier for me to review it that way. There are a couple of programs out there that will let me record the video from Skype so I just have to figure out which one is best.

Thats about it except for the hunting update...I got a 6 point buck opening morning. The wife passed on does and didnt get anything which is ok because she drew a tag and got a black bear in September and also won a BAR 30.06 on a football pool while we were up there for deer season.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 28 Dec 2012 1:11 am    

A quick update before I head off to work.
Had my second lesson with John McClung and it went great. We went over what I learned and made a few corrections. Now because of the holidays the next lesson wont be until the 9th which is fine because I should be able to move to lesson plan #2.
The hardest part of Lesson#1 for me was the palm blocking. Ive been using Jeff Newmans Right Hand Alpha video and was struggling until John explained to try to use it as a guide. In other words..it dosent have to be exactly like Jeff does it. Use that as a base and make adjustments to what works for me. So I started making small adjustments and finally I sat down one day and there it was. For me thats the weirdest thing about this instrument...you work and practice something and start to wonder if it will ever come around. Then one day it falls into place all in one shot. So my final position for the palm blocking was top string above the hand crease..elbow out just a hair...pinky curled until its time to block and then straight out.
Ive been trying to learn note intervals. Besides whats in the course Ive been using this site. http://www.musictheory.net/exercises It got to the point that I over did it and all the notes started running together so I took a couple day break from that part to let my head clear.
So by the time my next lesson comes around and Im ready to move on I will have learned..basic palm blocking..the 4 grips...1,4,5 positions for major chords both open and with pedals...timing and how the notes relate to that...the song good night ladies both open and with pedals.

Now for a quick story. Why?? Because I like storys. HaHa
The wife and I went to see her cousin play at a local bar last week. http://www.timcastleyoungsouthern.com/ Great band and they dont play bubblegum country. Dale Sellers (Lifetime member of Hee Haw) plays in the band. What can I say...awesome guitar player. While talking to Tim he mentioned that he had some publicity photos of Dale so I got one from him and asked Dale to autograph it for me but make it out to my parents. He was kind enough to do so and my parents were thrilled to get it. I took a photo of Dale with my phone and when I figure out how to move it to my computer Ill post it.

One final thought. I purchased a BJS bar and it feels like someone buttered up the strins of my PSG. Extremely smooth. Very good investment for me.

Thats about it. Hope everyone had a great Christmas and have a Safe New year.

Edit to add pics...finally figured out how.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 1:11 am    

Another month is now in the books and it is now gut check time.
As you read before because I have no musical experience John took me on as a student on a trial basis. Well the trial period ended after last nights lesson and the verdict is in. We talked about where I was and if I was catching on to what he was teaching. I am doing good so the lessons keep going. In other words...I dont have to backtrack and pick up a guitar. Very Happy Im extremely happy with that.

Lesson on the 9th was cancelled so John could get ready for the Pheonix show.

Today started lesson chapter number 2 with a review of #1. #2 builds on notes for timing and palm blocking single notes and tuning by ear.

Two things I have to make an extra effort on is letting the note ring for the full beat and stop cutting it off to early and to stop rolling my hand when I block.

Lesson learned for the month...there will be good days and bad. Every now and then I will sit down to practice and everything goes in the tank. I cant pick, plock, I buzz the strings, and honestly I wonder how I even stayed in the seat without falling out. No rhyme or reason to it...it just happens. It would be very easy to get discouraged but I just put everything away and practice the next day. Ive never had it happen 2 days in a row. Then there are days where I hit everything perfect. The majority of the practice days are in the middle...some things go good and others need work.

Thats about it for this months update.

David Clancy

Ireland
Post  Posted 24 Jan 2013 6:24 am     you're doing great

Tim I think you're approach to this is great and I really admire you're discipline. I've been playing for about 3 years now, and am only addressing issues in my playing that you are getting to straight away. Particularly right hand technique. Palm blocking is definitely the most difficult thing to get right, and it is even more difficult to back track and correct. I wish I had spent more time on this at the beginning instead of jumping in and learning licks straight away. But I guess a balance between both is good, because lets face it, being able to recreate a lick or move that you hear on record and being able to reproduce it in some form is what encouragement to keep going. I found Jeff Newmans material really excellent, but because my finger's seemed shorter than his i had to make some adjustments. Keep up the good work. Its a very interesting thread

Scott Nipper

Folsom, California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2013 10:25 pm     Jumping in the fray

I'm following this thread (i'm a nube, too...got my Dekley, 3 pedal, 3 lever E9 in Sept 2012) and have a question: what should I know how to do after 4 months of practicing (granted it's not every day but just about and some days it's for several hours)?

I have a few books and I've downloaded the first three hour long videos of Joe Wright. I did a lot of research and he seems to teach and play in a way that resonates with me. I have been through his first two videos many times and am at the point in his "7" picking positions to do them up and down the strings without looking at about 60bpm.

I know my major and minor chords in 3 postions, my G major scale in two position (3rd fret and 10th) both using pedals and moving up/down a fret or two.

I'm trying to play some songs with a trio while practicing the above stuff. I'm doing Heart of Gold, House That Built Me, I Need You Now, Safe and Sound, and Love Story on PSG and not necessarily trying to cop the record but more just trying to get the chords and passing tones and using pedals for some of the embellishments.

I'm a guitar player of 40 years and know music theory pretty well, was a music major for a while and taught guitar and music theory over the years - so that part isn't new.

I've taped myself and I know I'm making progress, but I'm just trying to figure out some reasonable milestones so I can tell if I'm making decent progress.

I love PSG so much and am aspiring to be playing in a country band within a year. But I'm not much of a tab or sight reader and play mostly by ear and feel - which means I really need to have a solid working knowledge of where all the notes are, with and without pedals and levers! AGH! Daunting!

Any tips, tricks, advice is welcome! Thanks.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2013 1:02 am    

David,
I agree that a balanced approach is the best way.

Scott,
In the beginning of the thread there were people saying that its impossible to know how far a person should be after a certain amount of time of playing because there are to many variables involved. I agree and thats why when I started this post it was to write about how far a person could get. Some may be farther than me at this point and some may not be as far along. If someone is farther along..great. If they are not as far along and use this thread to push themselves harder because they think they should be at a certain point at a set amount of time..thats great also.

So the short answer is there is no way to tell. Very Happy

The only thing I didnt see in your post is anything about taking live lessons. If your not I would encourage you to do so. I think videos are good but they cant correct you when you are doing something wrong. Also if you have a who, what , or why question you cant ask the video.

Take care and good luck on your journey.

Ron Page

Penn Yan, NY USA
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2013 9:45 am    

Regarding the suggestion to learn to recognize chord changes: Jeff Newman produced, and Fran likely still sells, and ear training course called Play What You Hear, Hear What You Play. http://www.jeffran.com/courses.php?content=AudioCourses

There are 12 or 13 common chord progressions in all, and you don't need to learn to play them on your instrument to learn to hear them... though it's certainly part of the course to show you where they are found on the PSG.

Not saying the suggestion to play on guitar and sing isn't good. However, since you (and I) have rejected that, this might be a good way to learn to recognize common chord changes and progressions.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 30 Jan 2013 7:48 am    

Hi Tim, A couple of reality`s that need to stay fresh in your head while being a student of PSG.

let your mind realize its not a race or a contest,
This will only get in your way everytime you sit at it.

A students technique gets built in your brain and body endlessly, Its got its own speed, it never stops building,
In fact after time you`ll have to retrace what you`ve learned and have already forgotten.

Having direction is always great news no matter how your brain takes it or how you get it.
But keep in mind that your comprehension level is the variable players talk about,
Gods speed only and nothing faster or slower,
If you`re obsessed with this sound, I believe you have also been chosen to create beautiful music,
and I`m sure you wont let anyone down,

The excitement is overwhelming at times, and the lows are like no other lows,
Stay encouraged and dont listen to your brain when discouraged.

Telling the public you are a student of the Pedal Steel guitar is a very truth that your
brain recognizes and you`ll learn quicker,

Keep these in mind while you`re a student,

Good fortune to you and your family.

Kevin Swan

Medina, Ohio
Post  Posted 6 Feb 2013 3:03 pm     From one "truck driver" to another:

Tim: I really have enjoyed following your journey. I own a construction contracting company so I, too, have lots of "windshield time" and listen to lots of music while driving. Here's how new I am to PSG: I bought one THIS MORNING from this forum! Can it get any greener than that?

I've been playing guitar pretty steadily since 1968, including bottleneck, metal slide, dobro all that six-string stuff, so most of the technique is pretty well established. I think the biggest hurdle for me will be learning the pedal/knee/volume juggling act. I used to run a lot for sport and would do some of what I'm about to suggest; just wanted to offer a few things that I do during the day when I have to be behind the wheel:

Listen to the radio or CD or iPod or whatever you have, and try to figure out a harmony part for whatever is on. It could be vocals, could be an instrument, doesn't matter. I will sing or hum along and just try to see if a third above the note works, or a fifth, or a third below, all the while singing like I knew what I was doing! (I'm sure other drivers get at least as much amusement as I do!)

See if you can figure out if the song is major or minor key, or if it changes during the bridge section. Sometimes, a song will "modulate" too, which is the whole shootin' match actually moving up a step or half step to a different key.

See if you can "divide" a song you know pretty well into A, B and C sections; for example, is there a 8-bar or 12-bar section that repeats, then a similar length section that doesn't? The whole point is that, for me, if I can HEAR the song and figure out how it was built I can really dig in and start to "pre-play" it in my mind. If I'm working on a project alone, I then try to re-build the song in my head, thinking perhaps how the song-writer went about creating it, breaking it down into sections, then planning what I will do when I actually have an instrument in my hands.

Keep up the blog. Can't wait to hear your progress.

Tim Vandeville

Wisconsin, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 1:07 am    

And the learning continues.

Lesson chapter 2 is in the books...have a decent hold on lesson plan 3 and the next lesson with John will be on to part 4. There are some things I have to get down better but I dont see it as a problem before the next lesson.

The best learning moment of the month was I finally can name off the musical intervals when they are played. Let me tell you there is no greater feeling than when something comes together.

Palm blocking still gives me fits at times. When playing a diad or triad (2 or 3 string group) the top string will be the one that gets away and not be blocked completely. John pointed out what the problem was for me at last nights lesson...I was partially curling my pinky finger instead of having it out straight. I put it back out and the blocking worked again. I believe it was more of a concentration thing for me. I was so focused on doing other things that I let the pinky slip without even knowing it. Now that I know what the problem was its time to work on it more the correcxt way.

Here is the Mess With The Wife Moment of the Month...Im practicing in a room with the door closed. I call out to the wife and she cant hear me so she yells back "What?". So I play a little louder and call out again. Her response is the same. I play a little louder and call out again. This time she dosent answer and I hear footsteps coming down the hall. Now these are not light happy footsteps...they are more of a POed nature. I tell myself..Tim..you may have just pushed this one a little to far. She opens the door and says turn that thing down and what do you want. I look her square in the eye and say "Nevermind". She asks again and I tell her "All I was saying was I love you but if your going to have that kind of attitude about it Im thinking I may not say it anymore" Only one of us thought it was funny at the moment. Very Happy

Running late for work...will post the list of things I learned since taking Skype lessons with John McClung when I get home tonight.