The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  1968 GIBSON Trini Lopez Custom Hollowbody archtop-SOLD
Ben Elder

La Crescenta, California, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 2:37 pm    

---SOLD---

I'll try this again, with a new neck reset since its last appearance and some cosmetic work on the headstock and heel (not really visible in these photos).

I'm going to hold out for local SoCal pickup at least for a while. I may open it up to shipping later...or I might trot it over to other Forums. The hazards of shipping weigh very heavily on me, particularly in this guitar's own history. Read on...

Very rare (300-some-odd made?) and distinctive Trini Lopez Custom (deep-body--not like the standard/ES-335-variant). S/N 894XXX. These were made from the early 60s until about 1970-71. Usually these go in the $3000s-$5000s, but this one has some replaced parts and battle scars--most of them inflicted by FedEx Ground on a paltry 100-mile journey from Palm Springs to LA. Despite an A+ packing job, there was a neck crack (since professionally repaired), some cosmetic top touch-up and the bridge base had to be replaced. Neck has been reset recently and heel and headstock have been stained and oversprayed. Hence the modest price. (A Trini like this with severe electronics-corrosion issues recently went for over $2600 on Trin-eBay.) This has Gibson's well-known '60s thin neck (appx. 1-9/16" at nut).

I'm having to decide between this and a similar Barney Kessel Custom. Even though the Barney has overspray and non-original parts and hardware, its neck suits my large clumsy hands better so I'm going to let this Trini go, even though the Trini is much more aesthetically striking. The pickups have Pat. No. stickers, so are probably original. Pots have large housings and I'm guessing they are also original. The pickguard is a replacement (remains of the original in case). Recent import HSC. $1800 firm and ridiculous. It'd even be worth a few hundred miles' drive. No low-ball offers because Plan B will be to give it away (the recipient is not a Forum member, so don't get yer hopes up.)

Cash or postal MO only.

Additional repetitious redundant soapbox oratory (lest you think I stutter): No shipping--at least for now. (UPS Store pack-and-ship/ground would run about $150 to the East Coast, just for the sake of hypothetical discussion. A recent $1300 instrument was just under that. And I categorically refuse to use Priority Mail or FedEx Ground--too much loss and misery.) If you're out of town, maybe you can get a relative or friend to hold onto it or pick it up for you. But I just can't subject this to our commercial carriers. I've seen the mayhem and carnage they can and routinely do inflict. Assuredly and reliably inflict. And I won't have it happen again to this instrument.

Last edited by Ben Elder on 9 Sep 2012 10:18 pm; edited 2 times in total

William Blanda

Buffalo, NY/ Hale Eddy, NY
Post  Posted 8 Sep 2012 5:51 am    

PM Sent.