The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Jim Cohen - Pedal Steel Jazz - New Album!
Anders Eriksson

Mora, Dalecarlia, Sweden
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2012 10:09 pm    

A new must have Pedal Steel Album has just been released!
It's Jim Cohen's Pedal Steel Jazz.

Here Jim has collected the best Jazz Cats that Philadelphia can offer.

The Band
    Jim Cohen - Pedal Steel Guitar, Vocals
    Frank Strauss, Piano
    Steve Beskrone, Upright bass, trk 1,3,4,8
    Chico Huff, Electric bass guitar, trk 2,5,6,7
    Grant MacAvoy, Drums
    Special Guest
    Jimmy Bruno, Guitar, trk 1,8

The last track is a composition by Jim called Jimbeaux's Blues where he has a number of special guest steel guitarists:
    Maurice Anderson
    Randy Beavers
    Chuck Campbell
    Doug Jernigan
    Lucky Oceans
    Buck Reid

The album is a celebration in music conversation! Yes, the Pedal Steel playing is magnificent, but the band is even better!

It's a Pedal Steel Guitar album! It's a Jazz album! It's a Pedal Steel Jazz Album!

You can buy the album via CDBaby (it's almost free!)
http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/jimcohen2

Don't miss this!

// Anders

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 5:58 pm    

Thanks, Anders! Glad you like it.

Best wishes,

Jim

Joe Casey

Weeki Wachee .Springs FL (population.9)
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 7:19 pm    

Jim I won't be in St. louis how may I obtain the CD?

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 8:01 pm     Cd

Jim,
I want to order one also
Billy

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 27 Aug 2012 8:08 pm    

Thanks for your interest guys. The CDs are now available for sale or download at www.cdbaby.com/jimcohen2.

Thanks again,

Best,
Jim

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 2 Sep 2012 4:09 pm     Jim Cohen

I got the CD in St Louis & wasted no time to give it an ear. Real good playing , and Jim has stepped up a notch with his jazz lines . Good tone on both steels and I have to favor the 1st couple of tunes. The last one has several players and it will take a few listens to figure it out. But a very good project...JF

Joe Goldmark

San Francisco, CA 94131
Post  Posted 3 Sep 2012 6:25 pm    

Congratulations to Jim for pulling off this very ambitious project. The album is called "Pedal Steel Jazz" and it totally is. This is not western swing, or cocktail jazz, it's straight ahead listenable jazz. Jim plays beautifully, his tone is excellent, and the album sounds fresh and assured. His intonation is spot on, which is really saying something considering he's playing with a piano and upright bass. Speaking of, his musicians are top notch including east coast legendary guitarist Jimmy Bruno. If you like jazz even a wee bit, I think you'll enjoy this album.

Joe

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 12:40 pm    

Just got mine...and it's killer!!! Thanks for keeping real jazz pedal steel alive and well Jim!

Peter Freiberger

California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Sep 2012 1:33 pm    

Downloaded mine right away! Love it!

Jim Palenscar

Oceanside, Calif, USA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 6:48 am    

I just got mine and listened to it for the 1st time- Fanastic Jim!! Great job!

Ray Harrison

Tucson, Arizona, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 7:39 am    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I listened to it a number of times on my drive back to Arizona and my wife and I enjoyed it immensely. What a great selection of musicians and material. The CD turned out to be a project that Jim is, and should be very proud of.
Jim, thanks you for this great listening pleasure, and your friendship.
77 Stingray/Kiesel 5 string bass
Telonics , Fender Rumble500, Polytone Amps
D-16 Martin, 1970 Ovation guitars

Bill McCloskey

Nanuet, NY
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 10:22 am    

You got Jimmy Bruno to play on your record!! Outstanding. He is an amazing guitarist. Did he play 7 string? or is he strictly 6 string now.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 9:22 pm    

Thanks, everyone; so glad you're liking the disc. Bill, yes, I was thrilled to have Jimmy join the project. He plays 6-string exclusively these days. What a player! (And a very fun guy to hang with.)

Bob Taillefer

Canada
Post  Posted 6 Sep 2012 4:02 pm    

Jim,

I received your CD this morning. I listened to it three times already. In my humble opinion, this is my favourite recording of yours. The playing is stellar and the production is beautiful. All the tones are gathered to make a memorable CD. Congratulations my friend! Debra loves it too!

Merci beaucoup!

Bob T.

Roy Rosetta

Nederland, Texas.. On the Texas Gulf Coast
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 9:15 am    

Absolutely as good as it gets !!!! Jimbeaux's steel work on the CD is impeccable. What a great player. Jim's choice of musicians to record with was a "home run" also. These guys are in the "best of the best" category. If you haven't heard this CD, do yourself a favor and get it, you'll not be disapointed. I've listened to it many times and it get's better each time.
Congratulations Jimbeaux on this great project.
See Ya soon,
...Roy

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 10:26 am     Jim Cohen

I have listened again to make sure that I had a "good take" on this CD. I was right . The jazz lines are really good and fit the tunes as I think they should. I grew up with great players and got to watch them in action. Jim could fit into the songs that those players did. I noticed a lot of horn lines Jim has played that worked well on steel. Strangely enough, many of our little steel group never devote much time to jazz , as steel has been associated with so few types of music . IMO . JF

Christopher Woitach

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 3:28 pm    

Jim

This is a great record! It's programmed very well, and really holds interest all the way through. The band plays with a terrific feel, and are all excellent players. I assume the steel jam at the end was recorded in various places, and wasn't "live", as far as the guest steelers are concerned. Kudos to the band for finding a nice open feel that lent itself well to this - it really hangs together nicely! If it was live - how did you pull that off?!!! Obviously, all the guests were scary good, and you display both generosity and courage to include such luminaries in your project. It was a nice touch to use the phase sound after Chuck Campbells solo - made the track more sonically cohesive.

As for you, bud - you're playing great! Nice feel, nice chords, very tasty single lines. I'm impressed and inspired.

The more jazz pedal steel records, the better, I say, and you can hold your head up high with this contribution.

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2012 9:24 pm    

Thanks so much, guys. It's gratifying to see that you enjoy the disc. Christopher, working up the last tune, "Jimbeaux's Blues", was fun and a bit challenging. First, I recorded the heads and a few steel solos with the live band in the studio, then let the band carry on comping for numerous choruses without me. We then did a rough mix of that and emailed it as an mp3 to all the other players, each of whom recorded their own solos in their own local studios (as far away as Perth, Australia!) and emailed me the (dry) wav files. (We did have Jimmy Bruno come to the studio in Philly, however, since he is local.) We then decided on an order for the soloists, added effects to each one, did a rough mix, emailed the other steelers 'proofs' of their mixed solos with the effects added to be sure they were happy with the tone, tweaked a few, and then I went back into the studio and recut my own solos. We then did final mixes and... Voila! It was definitely time-consuming but I loved doing it and am flattered they they all agreed to be on the album. To my knowledge, it's the first time since Dave Burley's 1976 recordings that so many steelers have all appeared together on a recording (of course, his were done live! Ah, but this is the digital age. LOL)

Funny you should mention about my final solos on that cut, Christopher. I knew as the "host", that I really must let my guests go first, but then I was left with the predicament of what the heck to play after 6 of the world's greatest steel guitarists and one jazz guitar legend had already just played! Not necessarily an enviable position to find myself in! So I muttered and sputtered and walked around in circles hemming and hawing until I struck upon the idea of building off from Chuck Campbell's energy and going into Leslie/organ mode with my steel solo. Glad you liked the result. (Whew!)

Thanks again for your interest and nice comments, guys.

Best,

Jim

Dave A. Burley

Franklin, In. USA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 6:52 am     Jim Cohen Steel Guitar Cd

Jim, Your new CD is fantastic. It's on the top of my playlist. It reminds me of the sixties when I was playing with a rock band doing the nite club gigs. Every Sunday was our day off and I always looked for a jazz club with piano and guitar. My favorite drinking music in those days. Very few steel guitar/piano cd's that will compare to this fine job. Thanks for the mention of my cd, 'It's The First Time.'
Only thing I miss is identifying each of the steel players on Jimbeaux's Blues. All around a great recording that will get lot's of plays on my player.
Dave A. Burley
P.O. Box #211
Franklin, Ind. 46131

Buddy Emmons/Jimmy Bryant live $15.00 includes shipping.
It's The First Time(studio)$15.00 includes shipping.
Curley Chalker/Julian Tharpe live $15.00 includes shipping.
the Cavalcade Of Guitars live $16.00 includes shipping.
Pay by PayPal to: dab7875159@aol.com

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 6:56 am    

Thanks, Dave, and thanks for the inspiration to put all those "Stellar Steelers" together on "Jimbeaux's Blues". Your "It's the First Time" really was how I got the idea for that track.

The order of soloists is written on the inside of the cover near the bottom. Check again, you'll find it!

Thanks for the nice words; very happy you like it.

Best,
Jim

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 7:41 am    

Jimbeaux, your album is a wonderful creation and hasn't left my CD player since I received your disc. I'm driving up to Nashville this week and it will be in constant rotation. Gracias, amigo.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 7:10 pm    

Sounds great, Herb. Thanks for the compliment. Mucho apreciado! Have safe travels.

Jim Hollingsworth

Way out West
Post  Posted 11 Sep 2012 8:32 pm    

A truly GREAT recording - I love this thing to death! This will remain up there with my favorite Buddy albums forever. Buy it!

Jim

Storm Rosson

Silver City, NM. USA
Post  Posted 12 Sep 2012 6:08 am    

Shocked WOWZER!! Freakin awesome Jim,lovin every minute of it, I salute you sir...Stormy Very Happy

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2012 10:25 am    

Hi Jim,

Congratulations on a terrific album. Great tunes, creative arrangements and fabulous playing by you, all the band members, and the guest steelers. Kudos to all.

Keep 'em coming...

Warmest regards,

Bob