The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  I'll Be There - Help please
Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2012 9:21 pm    

Hi,
Here's my latest effort at trying to tame this beast. I feel like I'm still playing too choppy. Am I picking the strings too hard? Any input on helping me to improve is most welcome. I am fighting arthritis and tendonitis and am determined to win the battle!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khw0w8uAtgU

Thanks,
Lynn

Ruth Iseli-Dahler

Switzerland
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 1:35 am    

Hi Lynn,
Here my input if you allow Very Happy
There is no beast to tame around! You two sound like if you are having a good time together. Your playing for me is full of power and drive. It is not too choppy and not too hard. It is Lynn-style and this is fine. I really like it, no empty words. I always heard you have "the feeling", on all of your youTubes. This one sounds like you spend more time with your beloved Sho Bud. Really smooth.
Again, there's no battle. You arranged yourself despite that arthritis and tendonitis. We don't have a choice. You're doing great. Wishing you (and me and maybe others) a XXL bag full of self-confidence.
XXX
Ruth

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 2:41 am    

IMO, this is real good. Did you take any lessons from Billy? I think that Billy is one of the best teachers and musicians around. Keep it up!

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 8:50 am    

Lynn, I liked that. Lots of great ideas in the arrangement. That fairly fast picking/blocking run up the fretboard shows you are acquiring a great command of the steel.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 12:32 pm    

Hi Ruth,
The Bud and I are beginning to get re-aquainted after all those years. I think with more knowledge, practice and talent, the self-confidence will come to me. If you could hear Billy play this, you would know what I am talking about, however. You can hear the notes, but not the strings being picked. So many of my favorite players can do this, but I cannot. Maybe you're right. That may just be my style, the way my fingers work. Thanks for the kind words.

Hi Charles,
I WISH I could have taken lessons from Billy. His music sounds so effortless. I have only taken 2 PSG lessons, and they were a few decades ago. Most of what I learned is from home courses. Thanks for the compliment and encouragement.

Hi Bent,
This is from one of Billy Cooper's courses. I'm still just re-learning from tab. I got lucky during this take. I practiced that run and those triplets for about 2 weeks, and still couldn't get them every time. Thank you for your kind comments.

Henry Matthews

Texarkana, Ark USA
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 1:09 pm    

Lynn, that sounded really good, I liked the arrangement and your intonation was good. Didn't sound choppy to me, espicially for that song which requires the drive you put into it. Only thing I can say is keep it up, great job.--Henry

D-10 Magnum, 8 &5, dark rose color
D-10 1974 Emmons cut tail, fat back,rosewood, 8&5
Nashville 112 amp, Fishman Loudbox Performer amp, Hilton pedal, Goodrich pedal,BJS bar, Kyser picks, Live steel Strings. No effects, doodads or stomp boxes.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 6:57 pm    

Thank you, Henry. I'm hoping to be able to keep at 'er and get to the point where I can write arrangements like this. TG for all the great steel courses available!

Carl Kilmer

East Central, Illinois
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2012 7:36 pm    

Hey Lynn, your doing great. Every time I hear something
new from you, I can see your getting higer up the ladder.
Keep going the way you are and you'll be at the top soon.
Carl "Lucky" Kilmer

Dave Alfstad

Indianola, IA USA
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 9:24 am    

Hey Lynn, I sent you a PM.

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 1:52 pm    

Nuttin' wrong wit it,sounds more like a pro. than some of tha pros.Don't try to be anything but yourself,you have a very good grasp of things,style wise I see & hear a lot of Green in there but it is you,stay with it,learn from it.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 4:05 pm    

Thanks, all, for taking the time to comment.

Hi Carl, Thank you. That ladder surely seems like a mountain range! But that's because I know I'm gonna have to get my nose out of the tabs soon and back into my theory course. I want to know more about what's going on with this thang.

Hi Dave, Got it, got'cha, Thanks so much!

Thanks Ransom! Will do!

Barry Phillips

Queensland, Australia
Post  Posted 22 Aug 2012 11:05 pm     Sounding Great.

Hi Lynn-Sounding and playing great.Barry.

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2012 5:56 pm    

Lynn, that was a Fine job, and by No Means, too Choppy. As you get more comfortable, and your Confidence improves, I'll bet that a lot of what you're thinking is Choppy will disappear. Just remember that you will never sound like Billy, nor do you want to. It sounds like you are well on your way to building your Own Style. Hang on to it, and Steal licks from Anyone that you can...I thought that you tone was Very Good.

Are you playing any with other musicians? If not, that might help to speed up the Confidence thing.. Hang in there, and Know that you're Doing Good...

George...

Micky Byrne

United Kingdom (deceased)
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 1:43 am     Re: I'll Be There - Help please

Hi Lynn...it's not a case of winning the battle, you have already done that. You can never pick too hard, that's where tone comes from. You are a determined and positive young lady and a fine player. I have had my drawbacks, but I have a positive attitude like you do, and I'm still out there picking....I'll never give up. All the best to you Smile

Micky Byrne U.K.

www.micky-byrne.co.uk

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 5:34 am    

Hi Barry, George, & Micky,

Thanks for the votes of confidence. I guess I'll just have to keep at it, I may be expecting too much too soon. I used to play in bands from '76 to '86, but quit due to school and work reasons. I'm only back at it for less than a year now, and even had to shelve it for months at a time a few times this go-round.

I'm so glad for this forum, as I've already learned to adjust my seat height and pedal height, and I think that may help me become a better player this time around.

Thanks to everyone for their willingness to share their knowledge.

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2012 2:30 pm    

Nice playing!
JE:-)>
MSA Legend SD12 5/5 -06'
Mullen S-12 4/5 - 1986
Nashville 112 x2 W/Knob Guards - Don't leave home with out one!
Walker SS rack system - 12"BW's
Quilter Steelaire Combo

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 7:57 am    

Thanks Jim!

Joe McHam

Houston, TX * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2012 7:35 pm     Super...job!!!!

Lynn..keep up the great...clean picking...I'll Be There is one of my favorites....and the ShoBud sounds mighty fine...
Peavey Vegas Amp.
Casio PG-380 midi guitar
Ham Radio WA5OKT
Private Pilot SEL

Tom Harris

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 8:06 am    

Hi Lynn,,that has been a fv. song of mine since I first heard Ole Ray do it,,I love the "Shuffel" beat in the back ground,,I love your style,,wish I could play as good as you,and I didn't see anything "Choppy" about your playing,,It was as good as any,,your second to none,,keep It up....
Tom.....

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 10:57 am    

That milk crate sure makes that Sho-Bud sound good too. Very Happy Very Happy

As for choppy,that's why we call em' axes(so we can chop up music)or so I been told that's what I do.

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 12:20 pm    

Hi Guys,
Tom and Joe, You're all too kind! Thanks for the encouragement.

Ransom, I'm going to be auctioning off my spare purple milk crate on e-bay. Keep an eye open for it! Laughing

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 4:21 pm    

Oh boy,three more & I can finish my house I been building.Got any spare cardboard boxes?

Lynn Fargo

Fort Edward, NY
Post  Posted 30 Aug 2012 9:32 pm    

Ransom Beers wrote:
Got any spare cardboard boxes?

You're in luck! I know where to get a bunch of them; each one would house a pygmy family of eight or so! Winking

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 31 Aug 2012 4:25 am    

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Sep 2012 8:28 am    

Hey Lynn, this is the first video of your's that I've seen I believe and it was a good 'un... Your tone, technique, and intonation seem to be spot on. I liked that ascending run you did up the neck, very enjoyable. Looking forward to more of your stuff........JH in Va.