The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Russler Steel Guitars
Brian Henry

Post  Posted 7 Feb 2013 5:04 pm    

Damien, I don't follow your point. No bashing. Please read my posts. I think that the Russler is a good guitar and I've heard Russ Hicks play it. If you read my posts I think that the price is too high, when you consider that It is in the Carter MSA league. My next guitar will maybe be a Russler since new Carter's are no longer available.

Gary Skelton

Church Hill, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 7:08 am     RUSSLER Steel Guitars

Hi Brian,
I'm Gary Skelton, and part of the Russler group. I am not intending to argue who the best builders are. I am posting this to point out why a Russler is different than most other pedal steels being built today and definitely different than most built in the past. Of course there are similarities in all guitars just because of their design (ie) changers,side rails, cross rods, ect. How we differ in some ways, is the guitar is designed using SolidWorks mechanical engineering software. This allows the designers to see in 3D views how the guitar works as one unit. And allows for the machining and tolerances to be the same on all the guitars. Also using the SolidWorks program any design improvements can be done so it can retrofit to any guitar we have built. The cabinets are cut and sanded to the exact same specs for each guitar in a very high-tech woodworking shop. We do the cabinet finishing and all metal buffing in our shop.
The changers have roller bearings in the scissors, also all pedal and knee leavers cross shafts have roller bearings in the side rails. The pedals have bearings on the pedal bar. The lowering compensators have dual bearings in them. The side rails have knee leaver stops on both sides of the rail. The pedal pullrod brackets are welded to the cross shaft, then the pedal stop is laser cut in the bracket so then you get a guitar that plays extremely smooth, fast, and accurate. Also on the B pedal the 3rd string pulls 3 times farther than the 6th string so we added a jack shaft to the 6th string to allow the 3rd and 6th strings to start and stop at the same time.
All these things may not matter to some people, and thats fine. If you compare the quality of build, playability, ant tone with any of the top builders and then compare price I think you will find it to be a very good guitar at a very reasonable price.

Thanks, Gary

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 7:29 am    

Thank you for the information. I like the idea of roller bearings in the changer. I might just be in the market for a Russler later this year.
Many thanks

Damien Odell

Springwood, New South Wales, Australia
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 12:31 pm    

Hi Gary, I have emailed you with some questions about the pricing and availability of these guitars, did it come through?

Thanks,
Damien

Gary Skelton

Church Hill, Tennessee
Post  Posted 8 Feb 2013 12:57 pm     RUSSLER Steel Guitars

No Damien, it has not gsintn@msn.com or (423)914-2436

thanks, Gary