The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ray Walker...RIP
Milton C. Willmann

Spring Branch, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 6:44 am    

Ray Walker passed away last night in his home in North Carolina. His memorial service has not been scheduled yet, but his family will post more information here when they have it. Thank you all for your support and prayers.

April 24, 1952 - June 15, 2012

Clyde Mattocks

Kinston, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 6:49 am    

I got the call at 2:30 this morning. Mixed emotions, knowing how hard Ray has struggled. Relief for his suffering, but saddness at the loss of a good and sharing man. Prayers for Deb and the family.

Don Poland

Hanover, PA.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:02 am    

Ray will be missed for sure. I pray that his family finds comfort in his peace.

Gary Watkins

Bristol, VA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:03 am    

This really hurts! Ray treated me like I was someone special every time that I called him or went to visit him. He ALWAYS had time for my silly questions. My life was made richer because I had Ray Walker as a friend.

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:12 am    

Last edited by Dickie Whitley on 30 May 2013 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Paul Norman

Washington, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:23 am    

I am sorry. I will miss him.

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:38 am     Ray

While his journey here on earth is over, from our last conversation I know where he is today, with Jesus. To Deb and all of the children, we have all been waiting along your sides as Ray spent his final days with you. We all came to know Ray and love him for the man he was, a friend at any time! Please call on us now if there is anything we can do to ease your pain and loss of a good husband, father, musician, and friend.

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:51 am    

Condolences to the family. I never met Ray but have corresponded with him several times.

Tony Glassman

The Great Northwest
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 7:55 am    

My condolences to his family. He was a great guy.

Al Miller

Waxahachie Texas
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 8:29 am    

My heart is heavy this morning . Ray Walker always had time for a friend and never met a stranger . He and Deb held my hand thru a pretty awful time in my life and showed me the true meaning of calling someone a friend and for this alone I will never forget him . I will miss our phone calls and never forget the Memories we shared because of The steel guitar . For those of you that never new Ray you missed a once in a life tome chance to meet a REAL !! Human being !! I ask that God walk with Deb and her children through this time ..
Boo Miller
2022 65 Emmons Resound P/P D10

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 8:47 am    

The steel guitar family was so blessed to have wonderful people like Ray. It's sad to lose him - he was always the guy at jams people loved to gather around both for his playing and humorous tales. He will be missed. I know that he found great happiness and friendship over the years playing and building - anything steel related.

Michael McGee

Everton, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 9:39 am     Thanks again, sir.

I am thankful that I got to tell Ray how grateful I was for his friendship and his tremendous work and efforts behind the scene in the steel guitar chatroom.

Because of his efforts, I met him, and also met more of the greatest people on earth. People I didn't know at all, but who are now every bit as close as my immediate family.

But one more time, thank you my good friend. God's peace to Ray's family, and Ray, I'll look forward to seeing you again in a little while. What a 'chatroom' that will be!

Reginald Diller

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 9:40 am    

My deepest sympathy for Deb and family at this time of loss. Ray was a great guy and good friend. Ray confided in a long chat with him that he had found peace with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and that he is now a peace. Praise God for HIS unspeakable gift!
I will miss you Ray!

Reg Diller

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 10:03 am    

RIP Ray, this is a sad day for all that knew Ray

Deb and family, our prayers are with you. I'm sure you find some peace in knowing that Ray's struggle is no more. He will be saddly missed by the ones he has touched in this life. I never ask anything of him that he acted like it would be a burdon to him.
I loved his humor and Kindness
Wayne

Hook Moore

South Charleston,West Virginia
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 10:42 am    

To Ray's family and friends, I'm very sorry for your loss. The time passes so quick, my condolences.
Hook

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 11:31 am     Ray Walker

Lived only 20 miles from him, had lunch him and Deb, played golf with him a time or two. Ray was always available to help anyone with anything he could. Was very talanted and just a good man. I pray for Deb and the family, he will be missed.

Ray Walker

Smithfield, NC, USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 11:35 am    

Hey guys,

This is Derek, Ray's son. I got tears in my eyes as I type this, but I just wanted to let you guys know that we are reading this stuff and appreciate the thoughts and prayers.

My Dad really loved the forum and the friends he found here.

Rip Dad..

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 12:04 pm    

Sad news. Ray will be sorely missed by everyone in the steel guitar community, as well as by everyone else who knew him. My condolences to the family.
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

George Wixon

Waterbury, CT USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 1:03 pm    

While I only knew Ray for 5 or 6 years he was the kind of person you meet and instantly like.
Ray could find humor and joke around even during bad times.
A few weeks ago Ray was with a few of us in the chat room and had said that he knew that the second his heart stopped beating, that he would be in the most beautiful garden that there was.
Ray I know you have made it there and I'm certain I'll get to see you one day in that beautiful garden.
My condolences to the family.
George

Jimmy Campbell

Fayette, Alabama.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 1:09 pm    

Robin & I send our sympahy to the Walker family.
RIP Ray.

Ronnie Acton

Clifton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 2:51 pm    

What makes us cry and our heart broken for someone you have never met?......If you were lucky enough to have conversed with Ray, you would know the answer. I only "knew" Ray through the Steel Guitar chatroom and talks with him there and on the phone, but he Always treated me like I was someone special to him. I loved him and our chats and will miss him so much...Deb....I only have spoken to you once but I send my condolences to you and your family in this very difficult time....may God lift you up and carry you all during the coming days. What a special man you and we all lost. RIP Ray.

Last edited by Ronnie Acton on 16 Jun 2012 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

David Ziegler

Lancaster, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 3:38 pm    

Another good one gone. Ray was always kind,helpful and a genuinely nice man. Most of my dealing were through the chatroom,and Ray was always supportive of my newbie concerns and always made me feel like I belonged. He will be missed at many levels. RIP till we meet again!

ROBERT MYERS

HEDGESVILLE, W.VA. USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 3:39 pm    

My prayers go out to Deb and the family and I know Ray is in a better place but man am I going to miss him. We first met at Boo Miller's jam down in Maryland 10 years ago and Ray talked to me like he had known me all his life. He was a great friend and had lots of great stories to tell. rest in piece my friend
Bob Myers

Dennis Wireman

North West Indiana 47978
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 3:49 pm     ray

Deb and Derek and rest of family we all will miss him greatly. He was a find person and my great friend. May God be with you all in this hurting moment. Prayers for all of you. Keep the faith and we will all be with him again forever. If any thing I can do let me know

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 3:54 pm    

Ray was honestly one of the good guys !!! always had that special time to make you feel like you were the most important person around. Ray spent time in my home, and I in his. Honestly, Ray was more like a brother to me. His smile, his laughter, and ability to let you into his family circle will never be forgot. many prayers will still go up for Deb and the entire family. Rest in peace my dear friend.

Joe