The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tricone VS Dobro
Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 9:27 pm    

Good luck trying to adjust that neck Robert! Wink

Good to know you're still around BTW, long time no see.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 7 Jun 2012 9:43 pm    

Robert Salomone wrote:
Howard.... I noticed that your National Tricone doesn't have the truss rod cover on the headstock. Is this a custom feature you asked for when you ordered it from National Resophonic. How do you adjust the truss rod if it needs adjustment? Reason I ask is that I never cared for their design, and most of the originals I've owned never required any straightening because of the thick necks.

There is no truss rod as it's a square neck......

Edward Meisse

Santa Rosa, California, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2012 6:45 pm    

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:
Hey Edward, yes its hard! I'm happy I have find a relatively cheap Tricone, the Republic cost around 700$. I can't watch Howard's 8 strings National Tricone to long because I run crazy, its a good thing you can't buy them directly by internet because I would poorer of 4000$.

Thanks for the suggestion of Mike Auldridge gauge, do you know if I can find these stings? or I have to buy them separately. Beard Make G6 set but never see C6

For now I will definitely tuned it in C6, I don't want to learn a tuning, I want to play! I will see later if I like it or not.

You will have to buy those strings individually. I did great with C6 on 20's and 30's jazz and gypsy jazz. I played less of the more modern stuff. But what I played worked out just fine. The problem with my Republic occurred when I got to play a National. It may have been just the individual guitars. But the difference was dramatic.

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 8:33 am    

Edward Meisse wrote:
You will have to buy those strings individually. I did great with C6 on 20's and 30's jazz and gypsy jazz. I played less of the more modern stuff. But what I played worked out just fine. The problem with my Republic occurred when I got to play a National. It may have been just the individual guitars. But the difference was dramatic.

Yes I have ordered individual accostic strings from juststrings.com. I use the same gauge than my lap steel. With the longer scale of the Tricone a think the tension will be just fine.

I'm happy to know that you play 20's, 30's and gypsy jazz with it. Thats what I want to play and some Jerry Byrd stuff so the C6/A7 looks perfect to me. Can't wait to try it.

I will try to not play a National until I have the money for one!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 20 Jun 2012 9:00 am    

I just receive the Republic Tricone and the first thing I can say is that the worst guitar I ever see in term of craftsmanship. Its ineradicable how poor the it is. It look like it is make with a rusty knife.

For the sound, I like it! Its a little louder than my Gold Tone single cone and to me it have less of the cone tone and respond. Its a more even and smoother sound. I think it will fit well with C6 tuning for a more Hawaiian sound but its true that I miss the big bottom strings.

I will see if I will really have to tune it in a old tuning like open G or something and buy a National or keep the C6 but find a 8 strings Tricone.

I put a Shatten pickup in it and it will be a good gigging guitar. You just have to not look it to close because of the awful finish.

Hugh Crumley

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2012 7:58 am    

Jean-Sebastien,

For what it is worth, I had installed a Shatten in my Republic tricone and was unhappy with the sound-- very thin, brittle, metallic. I recently replaced it with a Pick Up the World pickup I installed under the saddle, and for (around) the same price, it is a huge improvement. A few years ago, I also put in an NRP saddle and cones.

Welcome to Triconeland!

Jean-Sebastien Gauthier wrote:

I put a Shatten pickup in it and it will be a good gigging guitar. You just have to not look it to close because of the awful finish.

Jim Wilmoth

California, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2015 4:51 pm    

Wow, almost a horn like quality!

Mike Neer wrote:
You can hear Jeremy Wakefield playing a Republic here just before 3:00. The tone is a little more narrowly focused to my ears than a National.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DI6UeNyEQQM

Jim Pitman

Waterbury Ctr. VT 05677 USA
Post  Posted 5 Mar 2015 12:31 am    

Great video Mike Neer. I'm surprised you didn't get struck by lightening playing the devil's music in church like that. Very Happy