The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Organ effect
Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 13 May 2012 6:51 pm    

Does anyone know of a stomp box that has an organ effect?
Thanks

Roger Kelly

Bristol,Tennessee
Post  Posted 13 May 2012 7:27 pm    

Would this be what you are looking for?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5GjMUSuUUs&feature=related

Billy Knowles

Kenansville, N. C. 28349 usa
Post  Posted 13 May 2012 7:50 pm     organ

That is a great effect but I am looking like holding a chord organ effect.
Thanks

Karl Fehrenbach

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 6:58 am    

I use the POG 2 in a band situation. I comp backup chords to my band's 50's and 60's pop rock songs. The POG 2 yields a credible Hammond B3 sound. I run a compressor with gain before the pedal and a Boss Rotary pedal after it. There is a great video by our own Doug Beaumier on the Electro Harmonix website. Doug's video was all I needed to convince me to go for it.

All of the signal processing going on eats up a bit of volume, so the gain setting on the compressor gets it back. A heavy dose of compression gives you a little bit of "keyboard click" as found on the Hammond B3. This pedal is way too much fun. With the POG 2 we have added another instrument to the band and gives us a whole new tonal pallete.

Chas. J. Wagner

Denver, Colorado USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 7:05 am    

There's suggestions in this thread and links included...
http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=225000&highlight=organ

W. Emerson Floyd

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 12:53 pm    

Question for Mr. Fehrenbach: do you have any audio samples of the effect in use?

Karl Fehrenbach

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 5:32 pm    

http://www.ehx.com/products/pog2

My first gig with the POG2 was this past Saturday in Hatboro, PA. Our band has a few rehearsal files, but that is all they really are, so the quality is questionable. The above link is for the Electro Harmonix POG 2 and on that page, if you scroll down, you will find a video done by Doug Beaumier using the POG2 with the Organ setting on his Fender Steel. It is very well done, as is everything that is done by Doug. As you will see/hear, it is a pretty convincing sound.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2012 6:25 pm    

Quote:
There is a great video by our own Doug Beaumier on the Electro Harmonix website. Doug's video was all I needed to convince me to go for it.

Thanks Karl, I have two videos on youtube featuring the POG2:

------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm4lcdLaN54

------> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adoAUA3fDTU

Gary Reed

Post  Posted 14 May 2012 7:08 pm    

Doug,
1. Could you post a picture of your POG with the settings you're using on the sliders visible in the picture?
2. Are you using any other effect units with the POG?

Thanks

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 7:41 am    

Gary, these are the settings I used (from the electro-harmonix web site):

I may have also used a Boss delay on the 'church organ' video with the Emmons. I can't remember, it's been a while... Cool

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 9:07 am    

Doug, what are you using for the rotating speaker effect? Does the POG2 have rotating speaker abilities?

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 10:20 am    

or these: (sorry for lazy formatting)
note that the lowpass setting is VERY critical...tiny movement makes huge diff in the sound

the DETUNE setting sort of gives it a leslie effect.

POG2 Presets

# Sound DRY -2 -1 +1 +2 Attack LP Det DRY Q

1 12 String 8 0 0 6 2 0 6 2 0 1
2 30 String 8 4 4 4 4 0 6 2 0 1
3 Pipe 0 3 4 5 6 2 4 3 0 3
4 Hammond 6 0 2 4 4 3 5 2 Gr 2
5 Calliope 6 2 3 2.5 2- 1 5.5 8 Amb 2
6 Octavia 6 0 0 4 0 0 6- 2 Amb 2
7 Swell 8 0 0 0 0 8 0 0 Red 0
8 Back/Oct 8 0 0 7 5 6.5 4.8 2 Amb 3

Bass/4 0 0 8 0 0 0 5 0 0 2
Bass/8 0 8 8 8 0 0 5 0 0 2

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 11:30 am    

Also lots of sound files at these links:

Pog2 with steel guitar:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Pog2/Pog2.html

Pog2 with H&K Rotosphere:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Pog2%20With%20Rotosphere/Pog2%20With%20Rotosphere.html

Line 6 Roto Machine:

http://www.gregcutshaw.com/Roto/Roto.html

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 6:12 pm    

Quote:
Doug, what are you using for the rotating speaker effect? Does the POG2 have rotating speaker abilities?

It's just the POG2, and maybe a Boss delay, as I remember.

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 15 May 2012 6:50 pm    

I don't see any controls on the POG2 that would govern the speed or any other parameters associated with a rotary speaker. From reading other reviews on the POG2, they all used external rotary simulators for the Leslie sound. I would really be interested in knowing how yo did it with just the POG. If possible, I would consider a POG2, but if I also have to invest $200 - $300 for the rotary, then it becomes a bit too expensive.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 10:01 pm    

I don't own any rotary effect. I just used the POG2, the factory recommended settings and maybe some delay. No other effects. It's been a while, but think I also doubled the audio track, split them left-right, and offset them, so that might be what you're hearing. That would create a room sound, a short delay, but not a rotary sound.

Kevin Milner

Los Angeles, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 May 2012 11:03 pm    

The detune slider can be used as a leslie faker if you don't have a rotary sim. It's nothing like a good leslie sim (I'm partial to the Strymon Lex), but it increases in intensity and speed as you slide the dial up if I'm not mistaken.
Effects: Cali76-CD Compressor -> EP booster -> Sarno Earth Drive -> Earthquaker Devices Zap Machine -> Earthquaker Devices Grand Orbiter Phaser -> Caitlinbread Dirty Little Secret Mk III -> Malekko Envelope Filter -> Hilton VP -> Pedal Projects Klone -> Tech 21 Blonde -> Strymon Timeline -> TC Electronics Spark Mini Boost -> Strymon Lex -> Strymon Flint

Karl Fehrenbach

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 4:57 am    

I agree with Doug that you really do not need a rotary speaker simulator. The POG2 is fine without it. I get a little geeky at times with effects and that is the reason I use one with the POG2.

You will have a lot of interesting sounds available with the POG2 and I have only scratched the surface as to what it can really do. The organ sound is easy to dial in and instructions are found on the POG2 page on the Electro Harmonix website as well.

Incidently, there is a POG available as well, which was the fore runner of the POG2. It is simpler and less expensive, but it does not allow you to save settings as the POG2 does. That is only my understanding, having never used the original POG.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 7:04 am    

I had the original POG and traded it for the POG2, just more features with the POG2.
There is also a Micro POG available with a smaller footprint, but with fewer features also.

Peter den Hartogh

Cape Town, South Africa
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 9:28 am    

Richard Sinkler wrote:

I think it is the left hand.
Mind you, those don't come cheap. Smile

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 May 2012 12:13 pm    

My problem is, that as a keyboard player also, I really like to be able to ramp up from slow leslie to fast and back down at the flip of a switch (just like a real B3). I haven't seen any proof anywhere that the POG2 alone can do that. I admit, the organ tone that it gets is awesome, just impractical as a performance tool on stage without a leslie simulator to get the functionality of the Leslie speaker. Of course, I realize that POG2 isn't advertised as an organ/leslie simulator. I would require both units, which would mean having to turn on 2 effects at the same time and turning them off at the same time. Not a problem if I was using the effect for the whole song, but to do "on the fly " stuff during a song, switching between organ and steel guitar, would be very difficult. I would probably have to use an A/B/Y box to create a loop for the organ effect, one for straight steel guitar, and out to the volume pedal. Then just hitting the foot switch would re-route the signal accordingly.

The Strymon Lex would be my first choice based on the demos I have seen on YouTube for the various simulators. I used to have a Boss Rt20, and it works pretty good too. Just that I was expecting to get the organ sound too out of it, which was ignorance on my part.

I don't think anybody's left had is good enough to accurately simulate a Leslie speaker. I can shake my left hand and simulate a rotary a little, but it is nowhere near a real rotary speaker or even a simulator.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 12:20 pm    

The H&K Rotosphere does the ramp up/down on a footswitch and has a pretty decent Leslie cabinet emulation too. The rotary effect in Pod XT, which isn't really a good emulation, nonetheless does ramp up/down fairly well with the twist of a knob.

Doug Beaumier

Northampton, MA
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 12:38 pm    

If you're referring to the video with Stringmaster... yes I'm playing a fast vibrato with my left hand in the middle section of the tune. I wasn't trying to simulate a fast Leslie sound, just playing a fast vibrato. A couple of things to think about... the bar I'm using there is a small Dunlop "Jerry Byrd" bar, lightweight, easy to move around, and I am left handed. Winking

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 16 May 2012 1:57 pm    

Doug, your playing on those videos was awesome.

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 16 May 2012 2:13 pm    

I can't imagine a B3 organ effect without a rotary sim available. The doppler effect...ramping, brake, fast and slow speeds etc. is half the sound of the B3. But to each his own.

The Pog absolutely does have a great tone but no organ sim would be suitable to me without the lez effect.

A Boss RT20 will get you a passable organ sound with Leslie sim. For most things, it's quite usable and is reasonably priced.

Also b0b's recommendation for the Rotosphere works very well with a better organ tone than the Boss IMO.