The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Live Steel Strings report
Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 11:53 am    

Just received my two sets of stainless. I put them on my Zum D10 and immediately could tell the difference in tone. Definitely brighter. I can't wait to play them on a gig and listen for the compliments. One thing I noticed was when I play harmonics they're easy to produce and they sustain longer. Anyone have the same experience?

Bill Garrett

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 10:14 pm    

I would like to try these strings but cannot find a link that's Mac friendly, any suggestions?

Georg Sørtun

Mandal, Agder, Norway
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 3:09 am    

I don't have my Mac here so can't test compatibility, but try THIS LINK that bypasses the navigation that relies on plug-ins and goes straight to the Live Steel Strings Store.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 8:17 am    

I just had my first gig last night with them. They sound great. Unfortunately, I can't really compare them to the Jagwires that I usually use. I also changed pickups in my guitar at the same time, and that would have an effect on the sound. I also noticed the color and how fresh they were.

I did notice that the 3rd and 5th strings that are supposed to have shorter windings on them, had the same length windings as the other strings. Maybe these were made before Sid started to use shorter windings. This is certainly not a deal breaker for me unless the strings start breaking prematurely (which I have a feeling they won't). On my E9th neck, I had to make only slight (and, I mean slight) adjustments to the nylon tuners, but I have to do that with any brand. I had issues with my C6th neck, but only because I think the gauges were a tad different from what I normally use. My 4th string A to B on 2 different pedals were only reaching Bb instead of B and the 3rd string was only reaching C3 on 2 pedals that I raise it to D. I don't like the 10th string using a .068 (I usually use a .070), but that's something I can change on the next order. Everything else pretty much just fell into place.

Conclusion: I like 'em. I will probably order them again, but may go back to Jagwires if they get caught up and I can get them through the forum. I would like to keep supporting the forum with my purchases. It would be nice if these became available through the forum.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 10:03 am    

Richard, glad you are happy with the strings.

Just wanted to drop a not a say that we offer all sets E9, C6th, Extended E9 or Universal in “Custom Sets”. Which mean you can choose your desired gauges at no extra cost.

Rather than choosing “Standard C6th” choose “Custom C6th” and tell us in the comments field (during check out) which string gauges you wish to substitute.

You also mentioned the color and how fresh our strings looked. This week when strings were being wrapped and packaged I took this photo with my cell phone. (Very old cell phone). I do not have a flash on this cell phone. The light in the room was coming from a lamp beside the table and the lamp had a shade on it.

This picture is blurry (a very very old cell phone) This is what strings look like when they have little or no shelf life!

It is easy to see the difference in color (freshness) of our strings compared to other brands when you pull them individually out of the package without having the other strings to compare them to.

When you have 200 laying on a table in a bunch it is really startling.

I am trying to figure out an economical way of displaying the difference in appearance of our strings at trade shows without having to buy 200 sets of the competitor’s brands.

If you come up with any ideas, lay em on me! LOL…

Regarding dealers: At this point in time, we have made the decision not to make anyone dealers. I have concerns about our strings lying on shelves for extended periods of time. We keep our strings sealed in plastic until they are wrapped and packaged. After they are package they go into air tight containers and held in a low humidity environment.

We have had several dozens of people contact us expressing their desire to become dealers. Yes we could move several times more strings with several dozen dealers but, I would have no control over how the product is stored or how long they will set on a shelf once they reach the dealer. Our goal is to provide our customers with a product that is unparalleled by any brand.

I share your concerns in supporting b0b and the forum. Live Steel Strings has made a generous donation to the forum with plans to continue.

Sid

Last edited by Sid Hudson on 29 Apr 2012 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 10:15 am    

Sid Hudson wrote:
Richard, glad you are happy with the strings.

Just wanted to drop a not a say that we offer all sets E9, C6th, Extended E9 or Universal in “Custom Sets”. Which mean you can choose your desired gauges at no extra cost.

Rather than choosing “Standard C6th” choose “Custom C6th” and tell us in the comments field (during check out) which string gauges you wish to substitute.

You also mentioned the color and how fresh our strings looked. This week when strings were being wrapped and packaged I took this photo with my cell phone. (Very old cell phone). I do not have a flash of this cell phone. The light in the room was coming from a lamp beside the table and the lamp had a shade on it.

This picture is blurry (a very very old cell phone) This is what strings look like when they have little or no shelf life!

It is easy to see the difference in color (freshness) of our strings compared to other brands when you pull them individually out of the package without having the other strings to compare them to.

When you have 200 laying on a table in a bunch it is really startling.

I am trying to figure out an economical way of displaying the difference in appearance of our strings at trade shows without having to buy 200 sets of the competitor’s brands.

If you come up with any ideas, lay em on me! LOL…

Regarding dealers: At this point in time, we have made the decision not to make anyone dealers. I have concerns about our strings lying on shelves for extended periods of time. We keep our strings sealed in plastic until they are wrapped and packaged. After they are package they go into air tight containers and held in a low humidity environment.

We have had several dozens of people contact us expressing their desire to become dealers. Yes we could move several times more strings with several dozen dealers but, I would have no control over how the product is stored or how long they will set on a shelf once they reach the dealer. Our goal is to provide our customers with a product that is unparalleled by any brand.

I share your concerns in supporting b0b and the forum. Live Steel Strings has made a generous donation to the forum with plans to continue.

Sid

Sid,

Maybe you could stamp a date code (Born on) on the packages? Yeah, a little more work but would help QC if you expand. Might make your wife a millionaire!! Smile

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 10:17 am    

Smile

Last edited by Sid Hudson on 4 Apr 2015 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 11:45 am    

Quote:

Understood. Good idea for keeping strings as fresh as possible. I'm not sure you had the custom sets available yet when I ordered mine. Even so, the gauges are just slightly different and was really not a big problem. Your product and your service are second to none.

That photo almost makes the strings look like fiber optics. Pretty cool pic.

Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 4:16 pm     live steel strings

Sid just want to let you know.I played an outside job at the Nascar race in Richmond,Va Saturday.The weather was cold and rainy.The other guys in the band could not stay in tune.My steel stayed on the money for the whole job which was from 12 to 6. Im sold on LIVE STEEL STRINGS and I feel that anyone who tries them will find them to be top of the line.Also it was nice to get to meet and talk with you at Keith Hornes birthday party thank again Gary
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Bill Garrett

California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 7:58 pm     Link for Mac users

Georg's link works! Thanks Georg!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2012 5:26 pm     Re: live steel strings

Gary Hamblin wrote:
Sid just want to let you know.I played an outside job at the Nascar race in Richmond,Va Saturday.The weather was cold and rainy.The other guys in the band could not stay in tune.My steel stayed on the money for the whole job which was from 12 to 6. Im sold on LIVE STEEL STRINGS and I feel that anyone who tries them will find them to be top of the line.Also it was nice to get to meet and talk with you at Keith Hornes birthday party thank again Gary

Thanks for the report Gary. Hope you come to the Steel Guitar Convention June 9.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 10 May 2012 5:31 pm     Re: Live Steel Strings report

Lyle Clary wrote:
Just received my two sets of stainless. I put them on my Zum D10 and immediately could tell the difference in tone. Definitely brighter. I can't wait to play them on a gig and listen for the compliments. One thing I noticed was when I play harmonics they're easy to produce and they sustain longer. Anyone have the same experience?

Lyle, are you using Nickel or Stainless?

Michael Brewer

Carrollton, Texas
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 3:33 am     Live Steel Strings

Sid,

I am very happy with the strings. The sound is clean and crisp with good body. I am also pleased with your extra effort in getting the non-standard gages I use in my tuning. I will be ordering more from you.

Thanks

Mike Brewer

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 4:16 am     Live Strings

Sid,
Man I am very happy with these strings. I love the feel of them and they are very durable and I also spend half the time tuning as I use to. The bar feels like it's on ice with these strings. Thanks for telling me about these strings! I love them ! Doesn't hurt that they sound great as well !!! I suggest if you want a great string you need to try these Live Strings.

Gil Gregory

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 9:16 am     Live Steel Strings

LIVE STEEL STRINGS ARE BY FAR THE BEST STRINGS I HAVE EVER USED. THANKS AGAIN SID.
GIL

Bob Hempker

Goodlettsville, TN.
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 9:35 am    

These strings seemed to have brightened my guitar up a bit. They feel and sound great to my ear. Sid, I think you have come up with something here. I've used GHS for several years, and these strings, in my opinion, sound and feel better. I kept with the same gauges I've been using, and stayed with the nickel strings. I was just wondering if an alloy string might be in the near future. I would recommend these strings to any steel player.

Chris Boyd

Leonia,N.J./Charlestown,R.I.
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 2:01 pm    

Excellent strings! Just put them on my Pro I and will be trying them on the Pro III shortly... Amazing service too... thank you Sid!

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 2:08 pm    

Hi Sid,
I have been beating the tar out of these strings now for about 7 weeks and they still sound great and stay in tune very well. They still have that "new string snap" that they had right out of the package!
Give em' a try ,guys and gals Smile

Arty Passes

Austin, TX
Post  Posted 31 May 2012 2:17 pm    

You've got a great product. I could tell a difference in the feel of them even before putting them on. They have great clarity, stay in tune and although I can't attest to the longevity - (had them about 3 weeks and don't want to tempt fates, so I won't see how long they last!) they have kept their tone and intonation. Even our respected sound engineer, who's heard me for about 125 show a year for 8 years, said it sounded better and he could hear more definition in the notes.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Jun 2012 1:02 pm    

That's good news Arty.

Your comment regarding tonal separation has been passed on to us many times thus far.

To be honest, it is not something I noticed until several customers pointed this out to me.

That Texas humidity is the grim reaper when it comes to string life. Regardless of the brand.

Store extra strings in a sealed plastic bag!

Sid

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 5:12 pm    

I put on my first set of Live Steels last night and they really are exceptional. After only a couple of hours playing on them I can't see myself using anything else. There is a crispness and responsivness that I've not had with any other strings. Good stuff!

Bob Snelgrove

san jose, ca
Post  Posted 8 Jun 2012 5:27 pm    

These strings are phenomenal. I just traded for Tommy White's '76 P/P and put these on immediately. It's a tone monster either way, I'm sure, but these strings feel and sound insanely good on it.

bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZlAdlrRYj0

http://www.reverbnation.com/bobsnelgrove

1978 Crawford Emmons P/P
1976 Tommy White P/P
1986 Franklin D-10

Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 4:11 pm    

I have to chime in and say that my guitar never sounded as good as it did at our show Friday night. I have used another brand exclusively for years and was even in correspondence about an endorsement deal. Not now. I have found a new string!
Jake

Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2012 4:11 pm    

I have to chime in and say that my guitar never sounded as good as it did at our show Friday night. I have used another brand exclusively for years and was even in correspondence about an endorsement deal. Not now. I have found a new string!
Jake

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2012 8:01 am    

Thanks for the compliment Jake.

We are selling a lot of strings to you Texas guys!

Sid