Jake L

Grapevine, Texas
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2012 6:05 pm    

I can understand why!

George Brown

Winston-Salem, NC, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2012 6:25 pm    

Sid,
I played my 4th gig last night on my first set of your Stainless strings, and I believe my tone, and overall sound has gotten better each time. Band mates have commented on how good they sound., And, they stay in tune... A real joy to play... Thanks
George...

Michael Remming

Kimberly, Idaho, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2012 6:24 am    

I have to agree with everyone's comments here played an outside gig yesterday and loved the tone I was getting. Best harmonics I have heard from my Carter. Love these strings.

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2012 8:50 am    

There's so much discussion on this forum about tone and what creates it, with not enough emphasis on strings. I recently put these on my Mullen and the entire band looked at me the first time I hit them, thinking I had a new steel or amp, or made a major change to my set-up. For $15 this has been the single best investment in enhancing my tone and my search for the best strings to use us over.

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2012 9:29 am     A question for you Live Steel users (or Sid)

Sid says, I believe I read somewhere, that you will need less lever motion to get the same change....but for that to be useful, you would have to adjust all of your lever positions, pulls and slack...

I normally use GHS Boomers (Nickel), same gauges as the Live Steel Nashville set....any experience out there on how much adjustment is required to change to Live Steel?

Is it just on the wound strings or plain also?

I don't mind adjusting, I just like to have the steel set up for a brand of string that I can be always 100% sure of getting regardless of where I am or when I need them (i.e., major brand)...if I can use better strings without losing that, I'm all for it!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2012 6:09 pm    

Steve, No collar adjustments are necessary when changing to Live Steel Strings. You just might find yourself doing some very minor adjustments with your end wrench as you always have to do when installing any new set of strings but that’s it.

The core of the strings are stronger (not bigger) but stronger. For this reason, the strings stay in tune better. They return more accurately after a pull or a lower.

The core of the string is where the major changes have been made. You will discover for yourself as many have previously stated over the last 12 weeks, they do have a wonderfully unique tonal quality to them.

Nashville Session Ace “Mike Johnson” uses Live Steel Strings and has stated that even the plain strings sound much better than any other string he has ever used.

“Gary Carter” from the Marty Stuart Show uses Live Steel strings and has said they even feel firmer under both hands.

The strings have a quality to them that make them sound more evenly balanced (sonically speaking).
Many players have commented that their harmonics are clearer and their single notes appear to have much more separation between them.

Think of it like this:
Like most of us, you have probably purchased new guitars, new amps, new speakers, new pickups,
new gadgets and spent thousands over the years chasing better tone. You only have $13.50 at risk here.

In addition to the above you cannot buy a fresher (newer) string anywhere! When our customer receives his/her order, they were made within the last 15-20 days. Fresh strings are very very important.
Strings degrade setting on a music store shelf or a string factory shelf.

I urge all our customers to keep their extra strings sealed up tight in a plastic bag. Do whatever you can to insulate them from humidity before you begin use them. Humidity is the #1 enemy of a carbon steel string.

Thanks to everyone for all your positive comments.

Sid Hudson

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2012 9:39 pm    

Sid-
thanks for your reply....How about adjustments to switch from the Nashville set (which perfectly matches my GHS Boomers) to your standard E9 set with some higher gauge strings? I'm curious about the impact of the higher gauges on tone and tuning adjustment needed - are they still within the "just a little turn of the adjustment wrench" range of changes needed?

Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 18 Jun 2012 9:59 pm    

I changed from GHS Boomers to Stainless Live Steel Strings on my Williams Uni-12 and there was no unusual adjustment. Pretty much just like any string change. A couple strings were slightly different gage also.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 4:05 am    

Steve Lipsey wrote:
Sid-
thanks for your reply....How about adjustments to switch from the Nashville set (which perfectly matches my GHS Boomers) to your standard E9 set with some higher gauge strings? I'm curious about the impact of the higher gauges on tone and tuning adjustment needed - are they still within the "just a little turn of the adjustment wrench" range of changes needed?

Steve, just minor adjustments with your end wrench.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 7:33 am    

The set I first tried had heavier gauges for strings 5 and 10. Just a little adjustment of the nylon nut was all it took.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 7:37 am    

Sid,
What is the difference between your "Classic" and "Standard" string sets?

Steve Lipsey

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 11:12 am    

Thanks, Sid, Richard, and Dave....strings ordered (at 2am), and already shipped, before lunch today!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2012 11:26 am    

Earnest Bovine wrote:
Sid,
What is the difference between your "Classic" and "Standard" string sets?

Earnest, The standard set is a predetermined set of gauges.

If you choose "custom set" you tell us what gauges you want for no extra charge.

Steve Dodson

Sparta, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 6:17 am     Live Steel Strings

Well I got my Live Steel Strings yesterday. And I'm Hooked. They are the best String I have used (IMHO) Very Happy Love the Tone,string seperation. And I like the feel of these strings.Like Sid said they would feel more tighter than other strings and I like that.
Sid thanks for a Great string.
Steve

Pete Nicholls

Macon, Georgia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 12:53 pm     Hard to Order

I was disappointed when I tried to order these strings. I put in my zip code to see about shipping charges and none showed up, so figured shipping was included. Then used PayPal as the payment option, only to have to return to the Steel Strings web site and fill out name/address etc that is already supplied by PayPal. Then to top it off, $2.46 was added for shipping. They may be the finest sounding string, but the ordering process is bound to run some folks off.
Quilter Labs Tone Block 202 Head
Roland Cube 80-XL
American Stratocaster - Yamaha Bass Guitar
1 Fender Telecaster Nashville Edition
Ham Call: N4BHB

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 1:44 pm     Re: Hard to Order

Pete Nicholls wrote:
I was disappointed when I tried to order these strings. I put in my zip code to see about shipping charges and none showed up, so figured shipping was included. Then used PayPal as the payment option, only to have to return to the Steel Strings web site and fill out name/address etc that is already supplied by PayPal. Then to top it off, $2.46 was added for shipping. They may be the finest sounding string, but the ordering process is bound to run some folks off.

Let me make it easy for you Pete.

The phone number for Live Steel Strings is 804-452-2019.
Orders placed Monday thru Friday before 2 p.m. are shipped the same day.

Pay Pal does not share personal information with vendors like addresses and such.

So,,,, you have to fill all that stuff out on our site so your postman knows where to deliver your goodies.

Sid Hudson

Ben Lawson

Brooksville Florida
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 2:56 pm    

I put my new Live Strings this week and everything is working out fine. The venue we work is a dinner theater so I haven't had a chance to "step on the pedal" so I couldn't give them a fair test yet but tonight will be the night. I'm looking forward to playing in a less controlled atmosphere where I can be a little more spontaneous. I'll follow up tomorrow on this.
I did notice that my old P/P didn't need any adjustments after restringing. I just put 'em on, tuned 'er up a played. I also called my order in and got the strings just a few days later.

Keith Howard

London Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 6:00 am    

Ordering was simple, shipping was fast... now to the good stuff. As a new player, I have been in search of a "tone" that I felt worthy of really bringing out in the mix of our band. I'm blessed with 6 other great muscians so it's not like I really have to carry the show. Anyway, we played an outdoor show last night and all the guys were astonished with my new sound.

Our gig was at 7PM and my new strings came in the mail at 5PM. I'd broke a few strings in the past few days practicing (diff brand) so... I took a leap and starting restringing my GFI D10 Ultra 2 hours before we played. Still have to load out, drive 30 minutes and set up mind you.

I did the fastest string job in history, played about 5 minutes, retuned, loaded and went. Set up at the gig and stretched em out a little more and retuned. Not only did they stay in tune (outdoors at 85 degree's) they sounded great. They gave me a confidence that had been lacking in my playing and for the first time, I really felt like I was contributing to the sound of the band (since changing instruments).

Now... to share the credit where due, last night was my first gig with my new Stereo Steel rig that I bought from GD Walker. I'll ring his bell on another post. But, I'd been practicing through the new amp for about a week before I installed the Live Steel strings so I could hear and feel the difference in the strings. VERY, VERY pleased!!!!

James Marlowe

Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 6:11 am    

I also am a fan of LS strings. Recently I retired my first set of LS. I felt like I should go ahead and use up my old stock which is made up of two or threes sets of the popular brand well known to us all, plus one set of another good, but not so well known strings. I'm here to tell you these strings sound anemic compared to Live Steel strings! Since I was born good looking instead of rich (NOT) I'll go ahead and use up my old stock before returning to Live Steel...but I'm not liking it!!
Thanks again Sid, for such a great product.
NRA Life member

Aaron Goldstein

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 6:32 pm    

I wanted to jump on here also, to say that not only am I beyond satisfied now that I've switched to Live Steel, but I wanted to give public thanks to Sid for really (and I mean REALLY) going the extra customer service mile to get me some new strings while I was on the road without any extras. These things sound and feel great, and Sid is a real champ. Thanks kindly sir, you'll be hearing from me soon for another few sets.
'76 Sho-Bud LDG
Traynor YGM3s w EPS15s

Pete Ethridge

Mississippi, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 2:01 am    

I have a zum single on a double i use the buddy emmons stainless they are really great and also have a good tone to them but also i have a wallace truetone pickup with a special wounding will not say what winding ohm it is

Mike Johnson

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 5:58 am    

I just ordered my second dozen. These strings sound great live and in the studio.
As for the adustments, I don't remember making any major changes to my pedals on my first set. I just remember how much of a difference they made. I love the tone I get with these strings and the buzz I used to get from my 3rd and 4th strings seems to have disappeared.

I think they are the best strings to come around in a long time.

Michael Hartz

Decorah, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 2:14 pm     Live Steel strings

I just wanted to let you you know that after hearing lots "hype"
about your strings, I deciced to give them a try. All I can say is WOW!!!! I
used several different brands over the years and could never tell a
difference between them except for string breakage. When I first played your
strings I could tell a difference immediately. The mids sounded sounded
better and the overall clarity was much better. There's just something about
these strings that's hard to describe in words other than you know you will
NEVER go back to using anything other than these strings. Also knee levers
and pedals feel firmer and are not as "mushy." YOU have a real winner here.

Larry Baker

Columbia, Mo. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2012 2:32 pm    

Just installed My first set of Live Steel Strings this week end, and they are great. I strung it up on Sat. night, tuned it up, and Sun. morning, it was still in tune. Just awesome. The service was great, thanks Sid. Larry Baker

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 6:50 am    

Ehh. To me, they are strings. I will give them another try, because their first outing was a little challenging for any strings.
The first 4 hours were on an outdoor stage with a 20 mile hour crosswind and 95°. My tone was blown to the next county.
The next 2 hours were at a blues jam, and they sounded okay.
40 minutes into the next gig, 6 hours and 40 minutes of playing time, and the E9th third string went pow at the roller nut ( when I break a third string, it is usually at the finger). Possibly it was weakened by my sweating all over it the first 4 hours, but 7 hours to failure is not that great.
I will give them another whack because that was a challenging test, but to me, they were just strings.