The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Origin Effects Website Launched - Studio Quality Compressors
Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 2:21 am    

We've just launched our website, featuring our first two pedals the Cali76 and the SlideRig... Both are super-dooper high quality FET compressors.

The Cali76 is great for guitar, pedal-steel, lap-steel, bass and vocals.... This gives the instrument a great polished studio-produced tone.

The SlideRig is particularly useful for slide guitar, and lap steel players! It does the Little Feat tone and there's nothing else like it!

Both units work extremely well on pedal steel and lap steel... I have a growing list of steel players using the pedals, and I'm getting nothing but VERY enthusiastic feedback!

Anyone into compression (or outstanding tone) should come and have a look... and a listen!

http://www.origineffects.com

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 5:18 am    

I have been using Simon's SlideRig with my P-90 equipped lap steel, with and without overdrive. It's a fantastic pedal and absolutely like nothing else out there. The serial compressor toplogy sounds like it might be overkill, but it works perfectly for infinite tweekable sustain on tap. For most steel situations I think the single Cali version would do the trick, but the footswitchable preset SlideRig is beautiful for changing levels and intensity on the fly.
Nothing like it. Be sure to check out the impressive video demo, it'll give you a close idea of what you can do with a clean steel tone.

Jack Willis

California, USA
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 6:42 am    

Who is a stateside dealer? What is the retail price?

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 26 Apr 2012 9:37 am    

There is currently no stateside dealer.

Pedals are $299 each, exported from the UK. Shipping is $39.99 (express service)... I operate a returns policy - but am yet to have anyone return a unit!

Thanks for your interest. Simon.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2012 1:29 pm    

Simon,
What would be the position in the chain for a Cali?
At present I run from pedal steel to vol pedal to Telonics preamp with a lexicon in the effect loop and finally to a TC Furlong SPLIT.
My experience of "live" pedal steel players is that they use minimum effects,usually a little delay and reverb,I have tried compressors in the past and found them great for Telecaster but not really great for steel in a band situation.
It would help a lot if You had some clips of demos with pedal steel.
Best regards
Billy

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2012 8:18 am    

Hi, Billy, although Telonics recommends going direct from guitar to VP input, I've had fine luck running effects before the pedal. I was using my SlideRig last night in line before a VHT V-Drive overdrive, into the Telonics volume pedal. I mostly use it with lap steel, and it's just stellar. Just the easiest tweek to add more sustain. Used with overdrive, it's very easy to get it set where holding a note moves it into controlled feedback as the note sustains. Organic and responsive. At this point the SlideRig is rolling off more of the high end than I prefer from the signal, but I'll just have to change an internal jumper to adjust that.
Really cool pedal.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 1 May 2012 7:57 am    

Thanks for the info Mark.
I May be wrong but it looks like the Slide rig would be best for steel players.
I would still like to know who in the Pedal Steel world is using one and perhaps read some reports.
Billy

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 2:44 am    

Mark van Allen wrote:
Hi, Billy, although Telonics recommends going direct from guitar to VP input, I've had fine luck running effects before the pedal. I was using my SlideRig last night in line before a VHT V-Drive overdrive, into the Telonics volume pedal. I mostly use it with lap steel, and it's just stellar. Just the easiest tweek to add more sustain. Used with overdrive, it's very easy to get it set where holding a note moves it into controlled feedback as the note sustains. Organic and responsive. At this point the SlideRig is rolling off more of the high end than I prefer from the signal, but I'll just have to change an internal jumper to adjust that.
Really cool pedal.

I agree with Mark. In my experience the compressor is best placed before the volume pedal. Otherwise, you would find that the volume pedal became somewhat ineffective, as the compressor would tend to counter-balance any changes in volume.... Of course there are no set rules... Simon.

Simon Keats

Oxfordshire, UK
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 2:45 am    

Billy Murdoch wrote:
Thanks for the info Mark.
I May be wrong but it looks like the Slide rig would be best for steel players.
I would still like to know who in the Pedal Steel world is using one and perhaps read some reports.
Billy

Hi Billy. There are some steel clips in the pipeline - it'll probably be a couple of weeks before they go live. Also, I'll soon have some testimonials and general artist info! Thanks, Simon.

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 6:03 am    

Thanks Simon,
I am in no way doubting the quality of Your product,a couple of clips and testimonials would probably get Me putting My hand in My pocket.
best regards
Billy

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 2:01 pm    

Well folks you heard it here first ..... A Scotsman putting his hand in his pocket !!! Laughing
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 2:08 pm    

Paddy you are obviously unaware of the old Scottish saying "short arms and deep pockets" Laughing Laughing
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Paddy Long

Christchurch, New Zealand
Post  Posted 3 May 2012 8:43 pm    

Malcolm I have also heard of the saying "Gorse pockets" ... the money is beneath the Gorse Very Happy
Telonics, Peterson, Steelers Choice, Benado, Lexicon, Red Dirt Cases.

Wayne Franco

silverdale, WA. USA
Post  Posted 4 May 2012 8:38 am     Very Funny!

You guys crack me up! Laughing

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 May 2012 5:48 pm    

I received a Slide Rig from Simon and I am using it with a lap steel and I must say this unit is inspiring. Not that my endorsement is needed or asked for but in a world of mega pedals and hype this devise performs as stated. Very flexible and the sustain is over the top.

Lenny

John Macy

Rockport TX/Denver CO
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 3:47 pm    

Mine should be delivered tomorrow...can't wait to get my hands on it!!!

Len Amaral

Rehoboth,MA 02769
Post  Posted 8 Jan 2013 3:52 pm    

John:

You are gonna like it. You can make it subtle or make it scream. Nice item.

Lenny