The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Virginia Steel Guitar Convention
Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 19 Nov 2014 1:59 pm    

Any interest in resurrecting this? Sounded like a great event. Recently relocated to Virginia and it would be great to have a steel show/jam in the area.

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 12:11 am    

Rick,
There certainly isn't any shortage of steel pickers around VA MD & DC. Whether you can orchestrate enough support and participation is another issue. If time is a plenty Rick, go for it!

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 10:29 am    

I'm willing to step up and do whatever it takes to organize something in the area, just not sure where to start. The venue?

Gary Lee Gimble

Fredericksburg, VA.
Post  Posted 20 Nov 2014 10:48 am    

Rick,
I have a gig booked in Leesburg, VA in couple of weeks, why don't you come out and we'll chat.
glg

David Maniscalco

Arlington, VA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 11:36 am    

Count me in for anything steel guitar in this area. I'm a relatively new player and I feel like VA/DC/MD has a lot of steel guitar history that I've missed out on.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 1:29 pm    

Well,,, count me in

David Christmas

Greeleyville, SC, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 3:36 pm    

I would love to come if u have a spot for me

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 21 Nov 2014 4:29 pm     Jam

I would certainly love to come, especially to hear my friend Sid play steel ("Together Again" by Sid is unbeatable).

Steel Buddy,

Allen Howington

Rick Myrland

New Orleans
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 4:53 am    

What a great start! Although I know almost nothing about Facebook, I just created a page for the new Virginia Steel Guitar Associaton. Look for and link to it so we can start building a network and know who's in the VA/WV, MD and DC area. This link should work:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Virginia-Steel-Guitar-Association/1497458250518870?skip_nax_wizard=true&ref_type=sitefooter

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 22 Nov 2014 6:45 am     Sam White

I do be leave if you talk to Sid Hudson he would like to help you out with how to run your Steel guitar Association.Here is how I started the Rhode Island, Steel Guitar Association, The New England Steel Guitar Association,the Clayton North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams and the Greenville Tennessee Steel Guitar Association.The three Steel guitar Associations are still running strong and the Clayton North Carolina one no one wanted to keep it going.Anna and I are going to be moving back to N.C. in the spring. We were there last week and bought a home but had to cancel it as The Woman that was buying our home is Canceling the our sale.OK here is How Anna and I started all our Steel Guitar Shows and Jams. For the Steel Guitar oganization's we chartered The RISGA and the NESGA with the State of R.I. and we would have meetings every Quarter and Jams at diffrent member's home and we would Jam together.On The Steel Guitar Jam I would announce them on the Steel Guitar Forum and different Steel players would let me know they were coming.You need to find a nice hall at a reasonable price to have your meetings and Steel Guitar Shows.On your Steel Guitar Shows you charge $10.00 at the door and you run a 50/50 Raffle.If possible get a hall where you have room in the back so the fans that want to dance can do there thing.Check with Sid Hudson and I do be leave he will help you to get it going.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Johnny Howington

Lillington, NC
Post  Posted 24 Nov 2014 7:03 am     Love to participate!!

I would love to come visit with friends and hear some great steel guitar playing as well! Count me in on this please!

Buck Rodgers

Virginia (Yorktown)
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 4:19 pm    

Count me in too. Rick and Gary: I'm ready, willing, and able to help in this noble endeavor. Just not sure where to start either. Maybe a logical "first step" is a meeting with Sid to get some guidance on how it did the previous one. Again, count me in to help make this happen.
Buck Rodgers
Yorktown, VA

Allen Howington

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 29 Nov 2014 7:22 pm     Steel Jam

Count me in if it's about Steel Guitar. Be glad to help out any way I can to make it happen also.

Allen Howington

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2014 6:27 pm    

Sid If Anna and I are moved back to North Carolina buy the time you guys get this Steel guitar covention going Anna and i will be there and i will help in any way it is possible.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Tommy Auldridge

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 10 Dec 2014 12:11 pm     I'd love to attend

I'd love to attend, and possibly play at this event if it ever happens. Tommy......

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2014 4:49 pm    

Sid Anna and I should have sold our home here in R.I. and we will be in North Carolina by then and we will be able to make it. I will help as much as you need
Sam White

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 12:12 pm    

Folks, this thread is a couple of years old.

I have no intention in having a steel guitar show.

Buck Rodgers

Virginia (Yorktown)
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 1:09 pm    

Sid;
I think there are enough of us new guys (and gals) here in VA who are interested in having a Jamboree to form a team and make it happen. I know you aren't interested in sponsoring one, but would you at least be willing to meet with some of us and give us some pointers based on your experience?? I'd like to try pulling together everyone who recently responded to this old chain sometime in early January (probably somewhere in the Richmond area) to discuss this. Would you be willing and able to attend and give us some guidance? Thanx for your con-SID-eration of this proposal.
Who else is in? Need at least 6 or 8 serious folks on this Team.
v/r
Buck Rodgers
Yorktown, VA

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 4:13 pm    

I will help all I know how to

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2014 5:26 pm    

Buck you get as many Steel players that want to come and play .Then you get a hall where you can have the group setup around the room.All lined up side by side .Then you get a drummer a lead player and a bass player.If you have a larger enough hall like a American legion or a VFW hall then you advertize in the local new paper or Stores with bullitin boards and post signs.It is a lot of work so get some help.Also get a couple rolls of Tickets so you can have them for the people when they come in to listen and dance if you have room for a dance and use the other roll of tickets to have a 50/50 raffle where the winner gets half the money and you use the rest of that to help you pay for the hall and the band. I Stared the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association, The New England Steel Guitar Association the Greenville TN. Steel Guitar Shows and the Clayton North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Sid Hudson came to a few of mine in N.C..Anna and I will be moving back to N.C. this spring and I will be looking to have them again there.Keep the Steel Guitar going we do not need it to die.
Sam White

Buck Rodgers

Virginia (Yorktown)
Post  Posted 14 Dec 2014 7:35 am    

Sid; Thanx for the offer to help us get started on this project.
Samuel; Thanx for the super outline on how to make it happen,
All; I'm gonna start a new thread for this event and will need everyone who is willing to help and / or participate to "pile on" with your suggestions and / or offers. Let's all work together to make this event a reality. Thanx.
Buck Rodgers
Yorktown, VA