The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Publishing Contract for Jimmy Peppers
Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2012 4:51 am    

Jimmy Peppers, who is one of my recording studio clients has just scored a new song writing contract with Hank Williams Jr's publishing company. He sent them a copy of the CD with the demo sessions recorded in my studio (I did steel, lead guitar and bass on the sessions). I would like to think my recording and mixes played a part but in reality it was the songs.

Peppers was a successful songwriter in the mid/late 60's and early 70's and even did some major labe producing including Mel Street's last album. He walked away from it all for over 20 years and started writing again about 10 years ago.

This was a shock as Jimmy's songs are the same style that he had success with in that time time frame (He wrote Jack Green's first top 10 hit - "Love Takes Good Care Of Me") which was before There Goes My Everything.

Commercial Country (what is being promoted and sold today) is nothing like the old traditional country music. It's interesting that a Nashville publishing company would want a traditional songwriter. Maybe they know something that we don't about what the next country style will be? Things tend to go in cycles, maybe the next "new country" will be Retro Country? (it's nice to dream).

Don Sulesky

Citrus County, FL, Orig. from MA & NH
Post  Posted 10 Apr 2012 5:58 am    

Good Going Jack.
Peppers sure has a way with words.
I backed him up several times when he came to the local jams we had on Saturdays.
Sometimes it was hard not to just stop and listen to some of his funny lines and lyrics.
Don

"Steel guitar is like playing chess in the dark with three players". Jeff Newman quote from 1997 seminar