The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  What to do during the wait?
John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 2:10 am    

Folks,

After reading a few posts here, I decided to purchase my first ever pedal steel, and ordered the Simmons genesis model. However, it won't be ready to ship to me until mid May.

Since I've never owned or played a steel of any type, I'm a raw beginner and have much to learn. I've ordered a couple of beginner books, which should be here the middle of next week.

By way of background info, I've played keyboard all my life, and read music fairly well. I'm now 67. I taught myself the piano accordion in a couple of months about 3 years ago. There's not much interest in this area for this type of instrument anymore though, or, from my wife either! So, I'm now looking forward to this new challenge.

I was wondering if someone in the upstate of SC would have a pedal steel that I could rent for a couple of months until mine arrives so that I could at least get started in the learning process?

Perhaps that's too much to ask? But, I'm anxious to get started!

I have a Roland KC-550 amp that I use for keyboard work, and plan to use that for the steel. I don't have any of the accessories that I need, but those are on order as well.

As an alternative, if any of you would have any suggestions as to what to do in the next two months or so until my first steel arrives, I'd be interested in hearing them as well.

Thanks in advance for your patience with a raw newbie!

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 6:50 am    

Borrow a lapsteel, a resonator guitar, or a regular guitar. Place a nut extender over the nut on the regular guitar. Tune it to a chord that you like.
(nut extenders can be found in most guitar shops for less than $5).
Start working with finger picks and a thumb pick on the right hand and a bar in the left.
Play melodies that you know.

Good hunting,

Ron

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 10:42 am    

Real good advice there.

Bud Angelotti

Larryville, NJ, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 3:09 pm    

John - There's a guy near me in jersey here that has a Maverick he wants to sell. $500 bucks. You could buy it then sell it. You will hear different opinions about mavericks, I'll leave it at that. But it does work so .. I'm not making anything off it, I just know where that guitar is.

Ray Anderson

Jenkins, Kentucky USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2012 3:53 pm    

You Sir are either Brave or Determined to undertake Steel at this point in life, and I admire you for it. I am 58 and I started one and a half years ago.Believe you me it is a" hard row to hoe" but rewarding. Winking I would think about the Maverick as an alternative, that is a good dealand 2 months headstart on that axe would put you ahead in the process. They tend to resale easily and at that price you could break even. Whatever you decide, the best to you. Very Happy

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 1:38 am    

Thanks, folks for the help. I have indeed now borrowed an electric guitar, and am going to be getting a nut extender to use with it until my steel gets here. I've tuned it to a G chord, and will start with that.

Thanks for the offer of the steel in NJ too, but I think I might wait on that, and see how this goes for now.

Much to learn!

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 19 Mar 2012 2:21 pm    

John, sent you an email.

Keith

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 6:11 am    

Bud;

I'm having 2nd thoughts about that Maverick. I think I will buy it if it is still available.

Who makes it and what does it look like? How many pedals, levers etc? I know nothing about them.

Thanks,

John

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Mar 2012 6:17 am    

Bud;

I've just sent you an e-mail about the Maverick as well.

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 1:48 am    

What a great forum to be a part of!

I wanted to thank all of you for helping me get started on the pedal steel adventure. Thanks for the willingness to get a newbie like me off and running. And, in particular:

Bud Angelotti, thanks for being willing to look at the Maverick. I'm sure there is a home for it out there somewhere.

Gary Sill, thanks for the heads up on the Stage One! Looking forward to it! Thanks for getting it out so quickly, too. Nice looking unit in the photos.

Keith Davidson- most of all, my most humble thanks to you for all your encouragement and help! What a pleasure it's been to get to know you. Amazing! I look forward to our additional musical interaction! Your willingness to share, and your enthusiasm for the instrument is catching to say the least!

Again, what a great online place to meet new and wonderful folks!

Best Regards, and my thanks to all!

John Bartlett

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 1:16 pm    

John, you're more than welcome, glad to be of some help.

I think that's what makes this forum so great, everybody had to start in the same place and know very well what it's like to be a beginner.

Bud Harger

Temple / Belton, Texas
Post  Posted 24 Mar 2012 7:09 am     My admiration...

I want to add my admiration to you for taking on the pedal steel at this point in your life. Good luck.

You should know that the pedal steel has a mind of it's own. It will fight you every step of the way. It sort of says

"Oh no you don't. I'm not going to cooperate! At least not until we become friends!"

Best regards,

bUd

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 2:31 am     Tommorow in the big day! Am I ready?

Folks;

Thanks to you all once again for the encouragement, help, and cautions! I hope I'm up to the challenge.

Monday is the arrival day of my first steel guitar ever! It's been like the anticipation of a new child's arrival or something. Maybe not quite, but I'm sure you all know the feeling I'm talking about. SO -

1) I've gathered accessories.

2) I've gathered instruction books.

3) I've done a lot of preliminary study, about as much as I can without an actual instrument.

4) I've found this forum, and made some good online friends with wonderful and informative advice.

5) I've got a spot picked out for it all.

6) My amp is set up and ready to go and plug in.

7) A vacation day is scheduled for Tuesday.

Next up - what sound or sounds can I make?

I'll keep you posted! Hopefully it won't be on the "steel for sale" section.

John

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 5:53 am    

Ray Anderson wrote:
You Sir are either Brave or Determined to undertake Steel at this point in life, and I admire you for it. I am 58 and I started one and a half years ago.Believe you me it is a" hard row to hoe" but rewarding. Winking I would think about the Maverick as an alternative, that is a good dealand 2 months headstart on that axe would put you ahead in the process. They tend to resale easily and at that price you could break even. Whatever you decide, the best to you. Very Happy

Oh contrare,I was 67 when I bought my last steel,never kept one long enough before that to learn anything but since purchasing my BSG from Don Burrows I have learned a lot by going to the teaching videos on You Tube especially Paul Sutherland,I'll be 70 in May!!!

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 6:17 am     Re: Tommorow in the big day! Am I ready?

John Bartlett wrote:
Folks;

Thanks to you all once again for the encouragement, help, and cautions! I hope I'm up to the challenge.

Monday is the arrival day of my first steel guitar ever! It's been like the anticipation of a new child's arrival or something. Maybe not quite, but I'm sure you all know the feeling I'm talking about. SO -

1) I've gathered accessories.

2) I've gathered instruction books.

3) I've done a lot of preliminary study, about as much as I can without an actual instrument.

4) I've found this forum, and made some good online friends with wonderful and informative advice.

5) I've got a spot picked out for it all.

6) My amp is set up and ready to go and plug in.

7) A vacation day is scheduled for Tuesday.

Next up - what sound or sounds can I make?

I'll keep you posted! Hopefully it won't be on the "steel for sale" section.

John

Valium,don't forget the Valium!!!!!

Stuart Legg

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 9:27 am    

John your post kind of implied you bought the Stage One. Is that correct?

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 11:31 am    

Oh, Yeah, Valium!

Well, I hope that won't be needed. And, I indeed intend to become very friendly with my new steel. Or I should say, steels.

I've bought two. One is a Stage One, only slightly used, about a year old, but only used for 3 months or so. It is the one scheduled to arrive tomorrow and the one I'll be starting with.

I also have a Simmons Genesis on order that should be here sometime in May, or perhaps late April.

I'm not sure if I will be keeping both, or if one will be for sale at some point in the future, and if so, which one it will be. I'll just have to see which one I like the most.

I'm hoping I will progress to the point that I will want a more professional model that either one of these. I've been following some other threads about who likes which model, and there are a lot of thoughts out there that are interesting.

I can see that I might have to visit a dealer with more than one brand in the future to compare various units.

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 11:45 am    

Not to be a salesman but take a look at the BSG link on the tabs at the top of this page.It is a pro. model comes 3X5 standard,I bought one & am completely happy with it & the price is right!

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 3:36 pm     Re: What to do during the wait?

John Bartlett wrote:
After reading a few posts here, I decided to purchase my first ever pedal steel...I've played keyboard all my life, and read music fairly well. I'm now 67. I taught myself the piano accordion in a couple of months...

Expect the pedal steel to take almost twice that long. Smile

Seriously, the good advice here is to buy a cheap lap steel. With it, you can learn a lot when it comes to dealing with the picks and a bar, which is the hardest part for some beginners..

Don R Brown

Rochester, New York, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 5:17 pm    

John, I'm only a month and a half ahead of you on learning pedal steel, and only 4 years younger in age. They say it takes about 40 years to become good so I'm hoping about the time I hit 100 I can say I'm a steel player! Very Happy

One suggestion someone gave me which was helpful. Get a small tape recorder and periodically record some of what you are doing - starting with your very first note! It's a roller coaster and sometimes you feel you're making progress, other times it's as if you're stagnant. Even as short a time as I have been learning, it helps to go back about 3 or 4 weeks and play the tape, and it helps remind me yes, I AM making progress (just not as fast as I'd like). It's reassuring to hear the limits I had then, and realize I've picked up a few new skills in the past few weeks.

The Newman courses and the Winston book are very helpful and money well spent IMHO. Good luck with it - it IS fun, especially when you first hit one of those moments when you do something RIGHT without thinking, it comes automatically, and you think "Wow - did I just do that?"

Quentin Hickey

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 4:53 am    

I would try to learn as much theory as you can. Knowing why something wokrs is more important than memorising tableture. Watch as much steel videos as you can. Watch Mickey Adams beginner videos. Grab a flat top and try to learn chord structures of the kinds of stuff you will be playing so you are farmilliar with the chord changes. Try to looks around for Jeff Newman beginner material, that is what I learned on and it is worth its weight in gold.
Dont get frustrated with learning, it will take a while before you even feel comfortable picking and holding you bar. The best part of playing steel is learning so have fun.

Ben Banville

Shelburne Falls, Massachusetts, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 10:14 am    

for $99 you can buy a Rogue EA-3 Lap Steel Guitar, which comes with 3 legs and a gig bag, (no bar) and you can tune it E, F#, G#, B, E, G# low to high (these are the 6 inner strings of the standard 10 string E9 tuning). from there, you can practice your right hand grips, pick and palm blocking techniques and left hand bar action. i had to tune the strings higher to get better string tension, so i went to G, A, B, D, F#, B. easier to play in tune that way! also, try to learn to play slant bar double stops, it's great left hand training and great ear training as well. i've been practicing this way for the last month, and i think it's already making a huge difference in my playing and in beginning to understand the E9 tuning. meanwhile, my BenRom pedal steel should be complete the first week of may, so there's plenty to keep me busy and focused while i wait. good luck to ya!

Tucker Jackson

Portland, Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 1:42 pm    

John, I guess your Stage One is arriving today. Cool!

If you haven't already, you need to spend some time shaping your finger picks. This can be a many-hour project. The goal, obviously, is to bend the bands of the picks so that they fit your fingers like a glove.

Do a search on the Forum for old threads on this. Basically, you'll want to get two pair of needle-nose pliers and sit down and get to work. You'll know you have it right when you can slide them on -- and there's zero discomfort. Also, you should be able to wear them for several hours with no discomfort... but they have to fit snuggly or they'll fall off.

The one you shape for your index finger will be a little different than the one for your middle finger (and ring finger, if you're going to use 3 finger picks). Be sure to mark them in some way so that in the future, the right pick goes on the right finger. For example, I use a Sharpie to put a black dot under the blade of the pick I put on the index finger. Others use a dab of nail polish. Some mark a pick using a file to rough up the bands (never the blade!).

Enjoy your new steel. And welcome to The Obsession. Very Happy

John Bartlett

South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 1:53 am    

Good advice on shaping the finger picks! I'm for sure going to try that! I sure do need to make them more comfortable than they are now!

I've received the first steel (Stage One) on Monday, so had a few hours with it now. I can see that the finger picks need some shaping, for sure. And, I wondered how to keep them straight, as to which ones would go where the next time.

And, I'm going to be looking for the Jeff Newman material too. Probably just order new, I assume it's still available.

I'm going to be watching lots of videos, too, I'll bet. I need to see what I doing that's probably not entirely correct. I see there is a way to sort them out and save them to my hard drive.

And, I'm going to be looking into the chromatic tuning of Zane King for the 10 string. Since I read music, this seems like it would make more sense. Anybody have a comment about that?

Lane Gray

Topeka, KS
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 7:50 am    

My only comment is "not yet."
Instructional materials for that, or any tuning besides E9 or C6, will be rare.

I'd urge you to be comfortable playing the E9 steel, with all the standard techniques, before you start heading down the proverbial roads less traveled. To repeat a metaphor I used a few months ago; Sure, 66 takes you through cool and scenic parts of the country, but all the gas stations, restaurants and repair stations are down on I-40