The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Exciting News!----new Psg String Company—custom Made Strings
John Castelletti

Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 8:03 am    

Sid Hudson wrote:
John Castelletti wrote:
i was all set to order until i saw that the shipping charges to my neck of the woods cost as much as the strings! $13+ dollars to ship a single pack of strings seems a tad steep. Why no USPS option?

John, I think you have overlooked it.
Use the shipping estimator before you check out.

It's there.

If all else fails----call us! 804-452-2019

my apologies Sid, it appears that I had typed in my zip code wrong and as a result there was no USPS option available.

order placed Smile

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 8:50 am     Your Order

No problem "Big John"

My Web guy at VBO Designs has a lot of whistles and Bells on the website with the Music, Dancing Chickens and what not.

I encourage everyone; if you are having a problem in placing your order please do the following:

1. Send me an email at sidh@livesteelstrings.com

2. Go to any contact button on any page of our website and send us a note.

3. If all else fails, call us! 804-452-2019

Please keep in mind, I don't monitor the Forum as attentively as I do our website.

Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2012 4:48 pm     live steel strings

Guys,I just ordered strings today.I am more than happy with the service.If you need strings give them a try.I know you will be as pleased as i was.Sid is super to deal with.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Gil Gregory

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 11:27 am     Steel Strings

SID, THESE ARE GREAT STRINGS. I ORDERED THEM ON FRIDAY AND RECEIVED THEM ON SATURDAY. THESE ARE THE BEST!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 11:50 am     Re: Steel Strings

Gilbert Gregory wrote:
SID, THESE ARE GREAT STRINGS. I ORDERED THEM ON FRIDAY AND RECEIVED THEM ON SATURDAY. THESE ARE THE BEST!

Thanks Gil!

Been a long time. How are things over on the Eastern Shore?

Ray Thomas

Goldsboro North Carolina
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 3:26 pm     New Strings

Sid, check your email.

Brian Henry

Post  Posted 27 Mar 2012 3:23 pm    

Great web site - just in time to fill the jagwire vacuum!! I'll be orderering soon!!

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2012 4:51 pm    

Just saw this post and wanted to shoot a kudos to Sid, Jordon, and the gang.

I was trying to place an order and there was a problem with the shipping to Canada.

I sent an email from the web site and Sid and Jordon stayed in contact with me until they got my strings shipped out asap.

Thanks guys, great customer service.

Keith Davidson

rpetersen

Iowa
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 4:43 am    

I checked on shipping to Iowa and it was $2.80 usps first class!

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 8:38 am    

rpetersen wrote:
I checked on shipping to Iowa and it was $2.80 usps first class!

Is that a good thing?

Todd Brown

W. Columbia , South Carolina
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2012 9:44 pm    

Sid Hudson wrote:

Is that a good thing?

I think so, Sid. Cool

These strings are fantastic!! I don't know how to describe it necessarily, they just have an awesome "feel" and "ring" to them. I've been using GHS Boomers since I started playing about 4 years ago. No, that's not a long time, but in that period of time, I have tried them all. SIT's, EB's, CC's, Jags, GHS stainless, all of 'em! I've always gone back to the Boomers. Something about 'em. They seemed most dependable and always sounded the best.

Until now. Even without a shortage of my regular brand, I'm changing over! They sound, feel, and perform like no other brand I've played! Time will tell, but in the short term, this is my new brand! I'm using the E9 custom Nickel sets, so I can pick the same gauges I'm used to using. Nickel, because that is what's closest to the Boomers vs. stainless.

After almost a couple of weeks, a handful of gigs and several practice sessions later, these baby's still look, feel, and sound like they're straight outta the pack!

Sid, It was good seeing you and meeting your daughter, Jordan, at the Kannapolis, NC jam this past weekend. A good time!! Looks like you're off to a great start! I'll be calling again soon! Very Happy

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2012 5:56 am    

Live Steel Strings is truly a new adventure in sound, feel, and staying in tune. I am enjoying the clearity of the Stainless Steel for both the E9th and the C6th. No doubt about it..."they bark",...and at the same time, they offer that pretty sustain on the E9th ballads. The name says it all..."Live Steel Strings!", and they are!!

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2012 8:54 am    

is there an 011.5 option for string 3 on E9 ?

Ron Elliott

Madison, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2012 9:07 am     4-2-2012

Crowbear, Yes I just rec'd. 4 sets, I use 11.5 also.You'll like them. Ron Elliott

chris ivey

california (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2012 10:36 am    

will these work on a regular electric guitar?

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 2 Apr 2012 11:49 am    

chris ivey wrote:
will these work on a regular electric guitar?

Chris, we are not selling strings for 6 string guitars at this point in time.

At some point this year I am going to begin working with the engineers in an attempt to improve electric guitar strings.

Several nationally known, legendary guitar players have agreed to help me in testing phase when we begin.

Along with my knowledge of the instrument, the help I will receive from these individuals will be priceless.

Once we get to the point where we are convinced we have a better product than anything currently available, we will bring them to market. Hopefully that will be about this time next year.

Sid Hudson

Larry Robbins

Fort Edward, New York
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2012 12:43 am    

Hey Guys, just a note to say that Sid was out of a certian gauge I wanted he went out of his way to get them to me asap...kept me upddated and even threw in a lilttle extra for my inconvenince! Very Happy
That great customer service,guys! Thanks a bunch Sid!
I'll be using them weekend!

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 3 Apr 2012 3:54 pm    

I sent my order today. I'm looking forward to trying these strings.
I met Sid Hudson over 30 years ago at the airport Holliday Inn in Richmond, Va. His playing was on fire. At that time he was playing a Bos-San steel made in Richmond. We hit it off and he said " I,m really a guitar player not a steel player ' and he gave me an LP he recorded here in Nashville that Paul Franklin was on. The album was called "Twelve Midnight " and his guitar playing just blew me away.
So, I trust anything Sid says about music [ except the statement he's not a steel player ] I think y'all will find Sid a good guy to deal with and I wish him the upmost success in this new venture.
BTW Sid, I sent you that picture we talked about yesterday in the mail with my order.

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2012 10:50 am    

Ok guys, I'm gonna tell you that I was a little scared to change from EB's after 20 or so years of playing them but I put the Live Strings on two days ago.
Being new I felt I wouldn't be able to hear, feel and tell any change but on the first tuning trip I have to say I was impressed!

Let me give you guys the major changes:

First thing I notice speed picking is the return of the string when raised and lowered was much faster than before. Also the blocked notes were clear and clean with no string rattle.
Second was the tone was very clean and clear. The bar noise I hear was hardly there on fast slides.
Third and the biggest change was I sat down with a track and played "I won't mention it again" and in this tune are some slides that require playing a notes
that you hit one time and fall back two frets lower and raising two strings. Before the notes kind blended so much that you almost couldn't hear them. When I played this run the notes were on the money, clear and very defined!

So I must say I am truly amazed that a string can make that kind of difference. I'll be playing a show this weekend and the 21st with MTB and I will truly get to feel and hear them "Live "!
Sid, man ya done great with these so if they last a while I'm hooked! Thanks so much....Kenny

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 5:30 am    

Any reports on 3rd & 5th string breakage?
How long have you had them installed?

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 8:15 am    

Jay Ganz wrote:
Any reports on 3rd & 5th string breakage?
How long have you had them installed?

At this stage of the game, I personally have not received any reports of string breakage on any given string.

For obvious reasons, there are details regarding the core of our strings that I would rather not reveal but I will say this regarding string breakage.

As we all know breakage of the 3rd and 5th strings have been the source of aggravation since the inception of pedal steel guitar.

Assuming the brand of string you currently using is made of high grade materials and the temper of the metal is very good, the main culprit of this breakage is not metal failure.

Humidity and acid are the biggest enemies of your strings.

If your strings have lain on a shelf for 2 years before you purchased them they have been exposed to the humidity from within this environment for that period of time. Like many products, shelf life has a huge effect on strings.

The number one culprit of string breakage is the twist of the string just after it has been wrapped around the ball of the string.

The point of greatest pressure on a steel guitar string is the point at which the string starts over changer finger. If you are using strings that are nothing more than re packaged electric guitar strings, (and you most likely are) the twist of that string is too long to function properly on a Pedal Steel Guitar.

This is what happens:
Because the wrap of the string encroaches too high up on that changer finger, the string is actually cutting itself into! One piece of the string (the twist) is laying on another piece of the string
(the twist) and it knifes itself into.

I have shortened the twist of our 3rd and 5th strings to eliminate this problem.

Now, with all this being said; I did see a rollback this past weekend loading a brand new BMW.

LOL!! Sid

Hallgrim Midberg

Saltangara, Faroe Islands, Denmark
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 1:02 pm     Hallgrim Midberg

Thanks to Sid, I have now change to the new "Live Steel Strings" I must say I'm very happy with the sound,and like them very much! It took less than one week to have them her in Faroe Islands North Atlantic!

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 1:25 pm    

These strings sound very interesting Sid. I hope I'm not out of line here, but I would like to see you or someone, shorten the twist on all the plain strings. In the photo below, that is a 6th string, .020 with a short coiled wrap. This is one of the original Jagwire strings from a set that I bought from David McKnight way back somewhere in the 90's.

Not only does it help with string breakage, but also keeps that barb end and the wrap from digging into your precious changer fingers.

I would be on the list as a regular buyer if this feature could be incorporated into all plains. Not trying to tell anyone how to run their business....but just sayin'....

Last edited by Jerry Overstreet on 5 Apr 2012 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 1:58 pm    

Jerry Overstreet wrote:
These strings sound very interesting Sid. I hope I'm not out of line here, but I would like to see you or someone, shorten the twist on all the plain strings. In the photo below, that is a 6th string, .020 with a short coiled wrap. This is one of the original Jagwire strings from a set that I bought from David McKnight way back somewhere in the 90's.

Not only does it help with string breakage, but also keeps that barb end and the wrap from digging into your precious changer fingers.

I would be on the list as a regular buyer if this feature could be incorporated into all plains. Not trying to tell anyone how to run their business....but just sayin'....

Jerry, that’s a great post. Thank you for doing that.
It’s a very good picture of what I just explained.

Now regarding your suggestion of shortening the twist of all plain strings:

Every time I make a change to a string I get hit with another retooling/set fee every which drives the cost up.

I have shortened the twist on the 3rd and 5th strings because that’s the two strings players have complained about for years.

If string breakage was a regular occurrence on any of the other strings, I would change them as well. Since it’s not a common problem, we will probably leave things as they are for now.

Thanks again for that great post.

Sid

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 2:07 pm    

Yessir, I understand. I'm just trying to make a distinction between strings for the unique requirements for pedal steel guitars and other instruments.

Tooling costs etc. may raise the cost of the end product but in the end, I feel most players would be willing to invest a little more, if necessary, for a product that meets their needs.

After all that jabber, yes I like the reports on your product to date and will probably be placing an order in the near future.