The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bourns Pot. For Your Volume Pedals under 9.00$
Larry Johnson

Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 6 Mar 2012 1:37 pm    

I bought 2 of these for my VP's. They are everything John Polstra said they are. No noise , 500 k audio taper, smooth shaft, 100,000 cycles. Under 9.00$ ea. Try one you will like it, Larry Johnson
The original post is by John Polstra,dec 1 ,2011. In Electronics section of this forum. The topic title is
Here is a good replacement pot. for the Goodrich 120. They will work In any VP. The shaft is a tad shorter than the Allen Bradley pots.
John, I sent you an e mail. I would like to talk to you. Vanman

Roual Ranes

Atlanta, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2012 7:14 pm    

I put one of these in a Sho-Bud pedal. I had some trouble adjusting the turn because there is no slot in the shaft but got it done. Works fine. This is a sealed plastic pot and if it gives trouble there is no repair.

Helmut Gragger

Austria
Post  Posted 21 May 2012 3:01 am    

In the pursuit of a good quality pot with suitable taper I landed with one of these.

I came to the conclusion that, while these may be a perfect choice for all sorts of audio products, they are useless for volume pedals for the following reasons:

1) The taper is awkward. A smooth change of pedal travel with constant angular velocity does not give an associated perceived loudness change, which is what you would expect. The taper might be perfect for a volume panel control, but not for a volume pedal for typical steel guitar usage. Not for my taste.

2)The body is considerably smaller than that of a AB type J pot or comparable. Since pedals like the L120 rely on the pot casing as a mechanical end stop, using the Bourns pot will result in a somewhat increased pedal travel and thus pot angle. It is uncertain what this does to the pot´s end stop. The pot case itself will not survive this very long.

3) Pedals like the L120 rely on the pot´s rotation friction to maintain the current pedal position when the foot is removed. On my pedal the friction proved too small and the pedal changed its position by itself.

Sadly, all in all the pot is unusable for this application. Hope this helps.

-helmut