The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  A "Little Wing" Em7 tuning help?
Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 3:05 pm    

I love this piece by Larry Hutcherson

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvKbbDBeBNo&feature=related

On the video, he says he is using:

"Tuning is an Em7 with E on lowest + G on highest"

Any idea what the total tuning for the 8 strings might be? In my addled brain, EGBD is an Em7.. but how to lay that out over 8 strings with low E and High G is right now beyond me..

thanks for the suggestions!

Stephan Miller

Silver Spring, Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 23 Feb 2012 4:03 pm    

Check out the harmonics at 5:24 and 5:55. Sounds to me like (lo-hi) E G D G B D E G. Some real nice tone in there.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 6:01 am    

Sorry.. was away from the computer for a couple of days... thanks for the input.. I will give it a try. Anyone else weigh in on this tuning (or close modern alternative?)

Thanks!

Stephen Abruzzo

Philly, PA
Post  Posted 25 Feb 2012 7:39 am    

An Em7 chord is the same as G6 chord, IIRC. So, I guess you can accentuate the root you want to to color it as an "E" or a "G".

Personally, I don't like anything higher than an E for the first string.....the G would be too tinny for my tastes.

My first thought, lo-to-hi would be:
G-B-D-E-G-B-D-E.....or for a different flavor you could use....G-Bb-D-F-G-B-D-E....first 4 strings you have a G6/Em7 chord...G chord on strings 2-4...G7 on 2-5...Gm7 on 5-8....Gm on 6-8

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2017 8:39 pm    

I want to refer to Hal's old thread since just recently finding this video on yt while looking for something else and subsequently this topic here.

I have a Dual Pro that I want to string up and tune one neck in this Em7 tuning.

Looks like Stephan Miller's post has the correct tuning there, so anyone want to suggest some string gauges for this tuning for a Dual Pro? What did you go with Hal?

I'll be checking out John Ely's charts too, but I thought some of you may know of a set that'll work.

I've lately been spending more and more time on fixed 6 and 8 string tunings and I'm going to give this one a go.

Thanks.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 6:03 pm    

Jerry

I ended up playing around with Bob's Sacred Steel tuning for a bit. Lot of fun with nice strums. Currently I am using a C6 tuning low to high A,C,E,G,A,C,E,D with high D a full step lower than the second string E.

Just started working with this, but it looks to work well with the "blues/rock" genre I enjoy.

Good luck! I still go listen to Larry to get inspired!

PS.. for the string gauges I always use John Ely's website suggestions...

Jerry Overstreet

Louisville Ky
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 6:45 pm    

Thanks Hal. I have a Dual Pro with E13 on one neck, so I may just modify that tuning to match up the Em7. It may only be good for that one tune, but that'll be enough. There's another neck on there too Exclamation I may explore the sacred tuning you posted later on.

I don't know how many times I've watched Larry's video in the last few days, but his playing is so inspiring.

I love all lap steel music all the way back to Jerry Byrd's incredibly sweet and pretty stuff, things like this tune and beyond. I'm starting to come back around to these fixed tunings that I've only been fooling with off and on over the years. That sound is something you just can't get any other way.

I haven't be so excited about anything musical recently since I started learning pedals back in the 70's.

Hal Braun

Eustis, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 4 Apr 2017 6:50 pm    

Jerry.. I know the feeling..

Do a YouTube search on the Slide Brothers and listen to the blues lines that Stringmaster puts out.. just awesome..