The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Close this up b0b! thx!
b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 3:30 pm    

Tony Prior wrote:
and then there is Blue Bayou...

Simple, distinctive, defined the song , global identity and mind blowing !

There is no way you can play this song , not play the D Dugmore solo and feel good about it !

But... Every band I've ever played it with wants the steel solo to be twice as long as the original - 16 bars instead of 8. What we steel players hear as almost classical in its note-for-note perfection, the audience hears as filler for talking and dancing. Oh Well

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 4:14 pm    

As the guy standing next to the steel player, I'd rather hear a familiar kick off, then hear what the steel player next to me can do. Everyone already knows what the guy on the record did.

People in the audience know the difference btwn a good player and a good copy guy as well, I think

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Tyler Hall

Mt. Juliet, TN
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 4:39 pm    

I couldn't have said it better myself Ken. Playing has to fit the song that's being played. Taste is the most important part of playing IMHO.

Bill Miller

Gaspe, Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 5:08 pm    

Quote:
People in the audience know the difference btwn a good player and a good copy guy as well, I think

Ken, I agree with the first part of your post, but I'm not too sure about the above quote. Maybe in Texas. But in general I find audiences pretty much clueless about the caliber of the musicians on the stage. As irritating as it is, most people only listen to the singer(s). Maybe the audiences I play for are particularly unsophisticated but I'm certain a lot of them couldn't tell you if I was playing pedal steel or ironing a shirt up there. Rolling Eyes

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2012 5:08 pm    

Tyler, my point exactly! Making it your own!
I've heard you play signature licks but I've heard you play Tyler Hall licks.
Meaning in a famous tune your emotion and phrasing set you apart from the original player.

So to me this is the very thing that Makes you a true player.

I want to hear Tyler, not the original player. When I'm walking down a street and hear a steel player playing "Look at us" I want to say, hey thats Tyler playing that tune by the way you play it.

Anyways, isn't that just as good as hearing the original?

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 4:17 am    

Lots of interesting comments, all good..I don't pretend to know whats good for you guys or gals but I know whats good for me and what works for my playing opportunities.

So I guess what I am reading from some, is
at a Steel show someone may play a song that I like , played really well, but I'm not sure if I ever heard it before. Then if I ask the name of the song they may say, " Way To Survive" , hope you liked it , I played it my way ... Question

just sayin...

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 4:38 am    

I admire a player when they play it like the record. Smile

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 6:35 am    

Quote:
Quote:

Ken, I agree with the first part of your post, but I'm not too sure about the above quote. Maybe in Texas. But in general I find audiences pretty much clueless about the caliber of the musicians on the stage. As irritating as it is, most people only listen to the singer(s). Maybe the audiences I play for are particularly unsophisticated but I'm certain a lot of them couldn't tell you if I was playing pedal steel or ironing a shirt up there.

Bill, I agree.

Quote:
Tyler, my point exactly! Making it your own!
I've heard you play signature licks but I've heard you play Tyler Hall licks.
Meaning in a famous tune your emotion and phrasing set you apart from the original player.

So to me this is the very thing that Makes you a true player.

I want to hear Tyler, not the original player. When I'm walking down a street and hear a steel player playing "Look at us" I want to say, hey thats Tyler playing that tune by the way you play it.

Anyways, isn't that just as good as hearing the original?

Could be, Kenny, but to me this is strictly a steel player's viewpoint, not one from the general public.

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 7:46 am    

Agreed Barry!

I think what made me ask the question more than not, was because i get ask that from steel players mostly.

So as a steel player personally i would want to hear the players version more than the original.

Maybe that gets to be a personal opinion more than should you or should you not play it like the original.
The one comment though that is an issue for me is "You played that wrong"!
Did i? My response to that comment is "I played it the way i wanted to. Was it wrong? mmmmm?

I was sitting with Billy Bowman one night jammin on 'B Bowman Hop" and I went to the E 9th neck because i'm not a C6 player and played what i felt. We stopped and Billy said man i love what you did with that.
Billy didn't say i played it wrong.
So i guess it is mostly a steel players opinion and not the general audience's feelings.

I would never say "You are playing it wrong" unless somebody is actually trying to play it exactly like the original and wasn't.

Good stuff guys! thx!

Ron Kirby

Nashville TN
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 7:53 am    

Player's can get real close but no player can play a tune exactly like the original cut. Not even the original player.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 8:39 am    

the discussion seems to be talking about playing in front of a room full of Steel players or a general dance gig..two totally different and unrelated audiences and venues.

I read above where an audience can differentiate between a good player and a "copy player" ..uhm... that's interesting..does that only apply to Steel players or does that include guitar players who maybe are playing Clapton or SRV , or Roy Nichols licks etc ?

I personally doubt that a dance crowd can differentiate, my experience is that they just want to hear songs they like, know and can dance to them.

If you are doing a set at a Steel show in front of your peers then of course all bets are off..you came to play, so play !

I have been approached by many people over the past 40 years, being told many things about my playing, good , bad, in tune , out of tune, sloppy, clean, good tone, bad tone, too loud.. everything, but I have never been told I was just a "copy player". Actually to the contrary I've been told that I covered some original parts pretty well, I took it as a compliment , because it was ! Smile

CURRENT MUSIC TRACKS AT > https://tprior2241.wixsite.com/website

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 9:18 am     Close er down b0b! We beat it enough!

Thx guys for all the comments.

I think i get the gest of it!

All the best.....k-man

Ron Whitfield

Kaaawa, Hawaii, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 11:33 am    

Theresa Galbraith wrote:
I admire a player when they play it like the record. Smile
The last thing I care to hear after all the costs and hassles of going out is what I could have enjoyed better in the comfort of my home.

Ken Morgan

Midland, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 12:22 pm    

Quote:
..does that only apply to Steel players or does that include guitar players who maybe are playing Clapton or SRV , or Roy Nichols licks etc ?

As a gtr/bass guy, my position is if you want to hear the original lick for lick and exact tone, listen to the record. No one can get it exactly right, ever, since most of what gtr players do comes from their hands anyway. As for note selection and phrasing, copying is no more than a 'big deal.' Without people playing their stuff in their style, music will die pretty quick. Its the twists and turns than each of us put into it that causes music to grow, evolve, while still living inside a genre. Being to careful and not being willing to 'put it out there' is what (IMO) is killing live music - frankly is makes it pretty dadgum boring to hear the same old same old....[/quote]

Ken Morgan
Midland, TX

Buck Reid

Nashville,TN
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 2:18 pm    

Show the "boss" you can play it like the record first! After all... there is a reason they recorded it that way. Smile My experience is that the "boss" will give you more latitude once he/she knows you can. Pretty simple, right?

Cal Sharp

the farm in Kornfield Kounty, TN
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 2:31 pm    

There's a real popular YouTube vid of Buddy playing "Night Life" with the Chief, but he's not playing it just like the record. Whaddya reckon, he forgot how it goes? Winking
Custom Made Covers for Steel Guitars & Amps at Sharp Covers Nashville

Brint Hannay

Maryland, USA
Post  Posted 22 Feb 2012 2:32 pm    

b0b wrote:
Tony Prior wrote:
and then there is Blue Bayou...

Simple, distinctive, defined the song , global identity and mind blowing !

There is no way you can play this song , not play the D Dugmore solo and feel good about it !

But... Every band I've ever played it with wants the steel solo to be twice as long as the original - 16 bars instead of 8. What we steel players hear as almost classical in its note-for-note perfection, the audience hears as filler for talking and dancing. :\

The band I currently play in wants it twice as long, too. So I play the first half with my own ideas, then try to do the Dugmore solo as close as I can leading back into the vocal. The best of both worlds (i.e. I get to create my own and copy.)
I'm not foolish enough to follow DD's perfect solo with my own stuff.