The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Methods for tabbing out songs
Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Jan 2013 8:55 pm    

I've just begun to tab out songs that I like for pedal steel from scratch. I've listed my steps below. Please compare your technique and critique mine.

1) Slow down the tempo of the song using the Audacity free online program.

2) For single-note passages, use a keyboard to find the pitch of each note. For multi-note (chordal or dyadal) passages, use the keyboard (usually an online one from a website) to find the root note.

3) Use my ears to find the intervals between the notes, but when in doubt, compare using a keyboard.

4) Translate the string of notes into their number on the chromatic scale (1 through 12). Translate your steel guitar tuning into the same numeric scheme, grouping the numbers by string. Do not assume that the scale you've made for the song and the one you made for your tuning match-up now. Instead, note the numeric intervals of the strings, with and without pedal and knee action. The key signature may also be discernible at this stage.

5) If the track that you're tabbing is pedal steel, assume an e9 tuning. Assume that the steel in the song is being played as efficiently (fewest bar moves) as possible. Comparing the knee and pedal action in the song to the note numbers you've transcribed, locate the possible string patterns that the song is being played in.

6) If the steel in the song is not e9 or if it is not steel guitar, get creative and challenge your brain to figure out the most efficient way to play in on e9 steel.

7) Even after tabbing it out, you'll still be kept busy trying to sound like the pros.

I'm still a beginner, so the more I play songs already tabbed by someone else, the more I pick up on common patterns in steel guitar playing. This makes tabbing go that much faster because I'm able to make accurate assumptions about the tabbing.

Andy Sandoval

Bakersfield, California, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jan 2013 11:38 am    

I use an mp3 of a song and slow it down with "Audacity" while sittin at my computer with my steel. Then I listen to the song over and over to try and figure out the steel part. Writin the tab in a neat and legible manner seems to take longer for me than learnin the song and of course most songs give me fits tryin to figure them out but hey, it's all a learnin experience that helps to learn right? Smile

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 31 Jan 2013 3:46 am    

Curt,

Quote:
[i]Please compare your technique and critique mine. [/i]

Ever heard of the expression "barking up the wrong tree?......

Why use a keyboard?.... if you know the chord pockets on the steel, like you should, you'll have the starting place to figure out what someone else played....
Suffice to say that my advice is to rather spend your time to get to know and play your steel..... Your present attempts/method at writing spells disaster.
My citizism may sound a bit harsh, but meant to be constructive and with the best intention. Only after playing for a few years did I attempt to write tab.....and that was only after first learning to play a song on the steel.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2013 1:25 pm    

I use the over and over and over and over again method at regular speed, and tab it down on the ten line section of tab paper, then I move to the next 4 measures and repeat the process, Before you know it its midnight and you wonder where the time went.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2013 6:15 pm    

Nic, I'm still a beginner, so I don't completely understand your post. If you're talking about the tabbing out the chord progressions,I hear what you're saying. I'm more talking about licks and non-psg parts. Though even the parts within the chord progressions can take a little while for me put myself in the original steeler's shoes.

I'm only trying to tab out songs now so that I can play what I want to play. The stuff in the tab books is often uninteresting or lacks the stylism that you hear on records.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 1 Feb 2013 10:30 pm    

Curt it would be nice to hear a song you can play and post of your Pedal steel abilities, That way we could understand what you need critiquing on. give 2 minutes on youtube and You`ll get all kinds of pros chiming in.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 5:49 am    

I posted a video on facebook a while back that my facebook "friends" on here can see, but I'm not comfortable yet posting something on here. I know exactly what parts of my technique need work Wink . If I post a video on here, I want you guys to be able to enjoy listening to it.

Playing in front of people who don't know psg is funny like that. It's so new to them and it's such a complicated instrument that it's easy to cover-up your shortcomings. That's not the case here Very Happy .

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 6:41 am    

Come on, not everything has to be a masterpiece,
we could all use a good laugh once in a while....Seriously now, learning the
uninteresting with any tab will build a
foundation for the style you will create
someday after 4000 hours of practice.
So get to it.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 8:41 am    

Ok, I'll record myself playing something sometime soon and put in on youtube with a link here. I haven't tabbed out any full songs myself, so I'll probably use one of Erv Niehaus's tabs.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 8:45 am    

Curt,
I'd like to hear it. Very Happy

Nic du Toit

Milnerton, Cape, South Africa
Post  Posted 2 Feb 2013 11:46 pm    

Hi Curt,
Thanks for taking my comments in the spirit it was meant.... My writen communications can at times come across sounding too curt and to the point.
The problem for a beginner on steel is that what you hear and percieve as to which strings and position you reckon a lick was played, (plus lack of knowing the player's copedant), may be totally off the mark. The general idea is that most licks/fills can be played in at least three different positions.
So, how qualified/experienced are you in tabbing someone elses playing? I fail to see that your efforts have merit, or be of much use to you at this stage of your steel playing career. Chances are that it will actually hamper your progress.
This sounds like a quessing game on your part.
Care to tab some Tommy White licks for us?...... Hahahahaha....just joking.

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2013 7:00 pm    

Here's a video I just recorded this evening:

http://youtu.be/txkx0ZinAcA

And here's one I did a couple of months ago for comparison:

http://youtu.be/Tzya5rVv5r0

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2013 5:18 am    

Hi Curt, Instantly on both videos I saw a natural
foot position for the Jimmy Day setup instead of
the Buddy Emmons, What this means is your heel on
left foot is more towards the center of your body
and kind of angled in, You could try yo move your
left heel out abit to keep the Emmons setup,

another way to see is criss-cross A pedal rod to
the C pedal rod, leave the rods connected to the
upper of the guitar, just for fun if its capable
just to see if it feels more natural to you,
of course it will change from ABC left to right to
CBA Left to right,

Just my first thought, If it feels more natural this
way your knee levers will change also, but just for
now check it out.

Did anyone else see this ?

Curt it looks like your having alot of fun, keep up
the good work.

By the way great job on the video, Also what camera do you use?

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2013 8:09 am    

I just used my cell phone. That's why it sounds sharper when I strike the strings.

Craig Schwartz

McHenry IL
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2013 10:32 am    

By the way , your a lucky guy to live somewhat by Erv , he`s a great guy to hang with, I met him at wis dairy show a couple years ago and he set me up with alot of great tab and tracks to practice to,Just for the record , He`s the kinda guy I like to spend my money with... that might be an option for you to dig into, Just to build a nice foundation for yourself. whatever you do ending up doing, take baby steps for the most part when learning this instrument, Lessons or DVD`s are the greatest tools for learning, you`ll be lightyears ahead of the crowd that does not take time for this.
Good Luck and I`m sure you`ll be whalin on that thing like a pro after alot of practice.

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 18 Feb 2013 7:45 am    

Craig,
Thanks so much for the kind words. Very Happy

Hans Penner

Manitoba, Canada
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 8:53 am    

Curt

I can understand your being hesitant to post your first Youtube video.
I too am a beginner.
Started July 2011.
I fall to pieces whenever someone is standing there while I try to play something for them.

I did enjoy your video.
Good to see/hear another beginner.
Gives me comfort re where my playing is at.

I am currently trying to get a grip on palm blocking.
I did not notice any palm blocking by you.
Can I assume you are pick blocking?

Curt Trisko

St. Paul, Minnesota, USA
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 11:11 am    

If I'm striking the same strings again, I pick block every time. My palm blocking is still pretty rudimentary. I think I probably palm block only when I'm skipping around the fretboard or jumping between string sets.

Brandon Halsey

Raleigh, North Carolina
Post  Posted 21 Feb 2013 8:23 pm    

I thank God everyday for this forum.... Mr. Green