The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Tommy White
Dana Blodgett

California, USA
Post  Posted 28 Jan 2012 7:37 pm    

Thanks for posting Nick,I guess I gotta li'l more work to do!
'74 ShoBud 6140 3+4, Martins HD28,D-12-28, D-15,'65 Gibson LG-1, '77 Gibson Les Paul special dbl cut p-90's, Les Paul Special p-100's,Les paul Special Hybrid(maple top) hbkr's,'68 Fender Strat reissue, Fender Squire Jazz bass,Epi mandolin,Epi Wilshire '66 reissue, Kamaka Concert uke, 70's Kamaka Soprano Uke, Fender Super amp, Ampeg ba112 bass amp,60's harmony banjo,'00 Gibson SG Supreme

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 7:05 am     Tommy White

Hi. Tommy.
What speaker are you using in the Fender De-lux.
It was good to see you last September at the Show-pros.
Spence.Uk.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 8:27 am    

Hi Spence,
My Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is equipped with the original stock speaker. I think maybe an Eminence? Just really a great little combo amp with a nice variety of tone options.

Spencer Scott

England (deceased)
Post  Posted 29 Jan 2012 11:10 am     Tommy White

Many thanks that is very helpful.
Spence.

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 11 Feb 2012 8:56 pm    

You're welcome Spencer.

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2012 7:18 pm    

I recall TW's set at Scotty's years ago. Bobby Garrett and I were standing by stage left next to the TSGA booth and Tommy played a totally hellacious solo on "My Window Faces The South" or some similar song.

Garrett turned to me with his mouth open and said "tell me I didn't hear what I just heard." Mind boggling is what it was.

You da man, Thomas.

Son, we live in a world with walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with steel guitars. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg?

Ron Scott

Michigan
Post  Posted 12 Feb 2012 9:47 pm    

One song that I remember from way back years ago in St Louis before they moved the show over by the Arch that Tommy played I'm so lonesome I could cry.Wow what feelings went into that tune. Ron

Dennis Manuel

Quesnel, B.C., Canada
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 4:44 am    

Hi Tommy:
In one your replies you mentioned that you are now using a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe amp. How does the 12" speaker handle the C6th neck. I was always one to believe that a 15" speaker was a must and the Webb definitely filled the bill. However, with age and previous back injuries a lighter amp is a must!

Look forward to your reply.

Thanks
Dennis

Wayne Quinn

Cape Breton.NovaScotia
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 11:22 am     Love Him Playing

never met Mr white but always loved his playing.he seems to me to be a very humble man.i have a video that i got about 18 or so years of Tommy.and Mr Lloyd Green.and i could plainly see Tommy had a lot of respect for Lloyd.they both played awesome.and every time i hear Tommy play i say to my self Tommy White don't have to play second fiddle to nobody.i really meant Steel Guitar to nobody YA .

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 12:51 pm    

Dennis,
The Fender Hot Rod Deluxe definately has the tone for pedal steel guitar voicings and range in recording studio enviroments, however, the amp simply will not stay clean in high sound level venues. I'm currently investigating adding the matching Fender extension speaker cab loaded with a 12 inch 80 watt Celestion speaker. I also have 2 JBL 12 inch speakers on standby thanks to Tom Bradshaw. I would think the high efficiency JBLs will deliver just what is needed to make the Hot Rod Deluxe a viable pedal steel guitar amp for loud venues, as the tone is already there. Then there is also the possibility of using 2 complete Hot Rod Deluxe combo amps loaded with JBLs for maximum efficiency.
I'll let you know how my quest turns out.
I can tell you the Peavey Nashville 112 is a tough customer to beat, considering it's light weight and output. And I agree, nothing sounds like a Webb. I'm still searching!
Best,
TW

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 13 Feb 2012 1:06 pm    

I'm looking for a different amp also.Tommy,how would the Hot Rod with 2 12 in. speakers differ from the 1 12 in.I saw the 1 12 in. skr. is 40 watts vs the 2 12 in. spkr amp is 60 watts.Would that be better for loud venues or no?

Tommy White

Nashville
Post  Posted 14 Feb 2012 4:02 pm    

Ransom,
It is my experience that 2 12 inch speakers in the same cabinet is for those with a somewhat of an acquired taste for that particular sound. I've personally found a 2-12 combo to be an unbalanced sound with all highs , lows and virtually no middle unless the guitar is equipped with heavy wound single coil pick ups that, by the way, hum like the dickens. However, a single 12 inch speaker in 2 cabs is most efficient and pleasing to my ears. Hope I've been of at least a little help. My best,
TW

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 14 Feb 2012 4:38 pm    

Tommy,That's a great help,I've been leaning toward the Hot Rod Deluxe but I'm just not familiar with steel amps or I should say what would make a steel sound as it should.My expertise is in six string & Fender amps,the Twin Reverb to be exact,wish now I would have kept it & my Tele,ah yes ,sellers remorse.Anyway thanks for the advice,I'll be counting pennies for awhile so I can get one.