The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Best shoes for playing ( again, im sorry)
James Jacoby

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2014 8:12 pm    

Eugene! You better not wear those green things, when you look for a car to buy! Imagine what would happen if you were to kick the tires Shocked

Patrick Strain

Binghamton/Gilbertsville, NY
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 7:06 am    

I didn't figure I'd be alone on this. I can't play with shoes on. During the summer, I play barefoot, and I wear socks during the winter. Now I feel ashamed.

Howard Steinberg

St. Petersburg, Florida , USA
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2014 7:30 am    

I learned to play on a guitar that was too low, thus learned to play without shoes. That is still my prefered method of playing at home. On gigs, I had used cloth martial arts shoes, for years. The downside of these is that the soles are thin and flat, pretty much necessitating that they are worn only for playing and not moving equipment. Recently I decided to look for something that I could wear when I move stuff and when I play. I found these at the Burlington Coat Factory.

They are, in my view fabulously ugly. They have a narrow sole that doesnt have a tendency to grab an extra pedal. Lateral pivoting is very easy. The sides are soft and allow for easy side to side ankle rotation. I used them on gigs, this weekend, and they are keepers, just butt ugly.

Jack Hargraves

Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2014 10:04 am    

Sometimes I wear boots, sometimes dress shoes or tennis shoes. I'm comfortable with either one. I guess the right shoe is whatever works best for you.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2014 5:30 pm    

+2 for Justin ropers.
Steve Lipsey wrote:
+1 for Justin ropers....look like cowboy boots, but not as pointy (doesn't hang up in pedal rods) and low heels (fit under the steel)

Im 6'4" and your second comment is exactly why love them.

As to your first comment (and more comic relief), these are all the rage south of the border now:

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 21 Sep 2014 5:00 am    

Ariel Lobos wrote:
I Remember when Doug Jearnigan gave me a lesson , and Paul Franklin seminar last year in Dallas , it seems they no choose any special shoes ....what you think ? i remember that i thought, those guys can play with any kind of shoe

Bingo. Once you stop worrying about things other than playing, everything gets easier. Winking

Once you learn to write, whether it's a skinny pencil or a fat pencil, you can still write.