The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Any Tall Steelers?
Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 6:16 pm    

Hi guys, still looking for the perfect position on my Bud LDG, and I'm wondering if there are some tall steelers who would share their set-up: seat height, knee angle, instrument height, tilted or not, leg length, etc. I'm 6'3" with legs longer than average and I'm guessing few instruments are set-up with guys like me in mind!

Dave Mudgett

Central Pennsylvania and Gallatin, Tennessee
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 8:56 pm    

I'm 6'4", disproportionately longer legs, and have to raise my steels up. Lots of threads on this in the past, e.g.,

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=203787

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=1175173

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=155019

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=129290

http://bb.steelguitarforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=106518

There are various variables - height of the steel (which you raise up using a lift kit), angle of steel (tilted forward can give you more room for your legs), and height of seat.

For me, different steels require different approaches. For example, my Franklin D-10 is 1" shorter than standard, and hence requires more lift - I go for 3-4" on that one. My Zum U12 is standard but single body, so it also needs a few inches of lift - say 2-3 inches. The Zum D10 only requires 2", same for the Emmons push-pull D10. I sit higher than normal - I use a drum throne for that. I used to tilt the steel forward, but really prefer it level, that's one of the reasons I need a bit of extra lift.

I suggest you read different ideas on this, think about it, and then experiment with these variables to see what's comfortable for you. One size does not fit all.

Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 9:01 pm    

I am 6'3" and I use a 1" lift on both my guitars. Measuring the front legs of my S10 Carter, it is 28-3/4" from the floor to the bottom of the guitar. The back leg heights vary depending on where I'm playing.

I experienced joint pain in my elbows and wrists because the pac-seats were too low. So I switched to an adjustable/collapsible piano bench and I adjust it up to about 23" to the top of seat. I now keep my elbows at a 90% and I'm very comfortable when I play.

If you're like me, you may want a 'flag' on your lkl lever. I sit at a bit of an angle to my S10 with my right side closest to the body of the guitar. A flag on the lkl helps a bunch. I center myself to the 16 or 17th fret, my right leg is completely under the guitar and just about perfect 90% to the volume pedal and the left leg isn't as far under the guitar so the knee angle is a little greater than 90 on the left.

Thanks for posting those threads Dave.

-doug garrick

Joe Hensley

Boise, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 9:13 pm    

6'4" here...heel to top of knee: 26", seat height: 21", PSG height: 28" to bottom (added extensions to legs and rods).

Not sure if it's ideal, but it works for now.

Tim Sergent

Hendersonville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 10:05 pm    

Not me...I have just the opposite problem...I have the legs of my steel lowered 1 1/4".

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2011 10:43 pm    

Thanks everyone for your input and to Dave for including all those links. Tonight I tried a few different heights without connecting the pedal rods, just so I could work on the height of the seat and the steel. The legs are telescopic so I was able to experiment. It's tricky because if you sit too low, your forearms won't be level, and if your seat is too high you don't get any clearance for your knees and thighs... I'm going to keep trying things and compare with what people have posted in those threads.

Right now, I like having a slight angle, about 1 inch higher for the back legs. It gives a bit more leg clearance on my SD-10 and a tiny angle in the wrists is totally manageable, with the pad and all. In a few days I will meet with a fellow steeler in my neck of the woods who has kindly volunteered to help out.

Chris Brooks

Providence, Rhode Island
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2011 5:13 am    

Alex--get an infinitely adjustable-height drum throne instead of those pack-a-seats, piano benches, telephone books, bar stools, etc. Adjust the seat. Then add spacers and rod extensions to get the steel where you like it.

Works for me. I am 6'6".

Chris

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 6 Dec 2011 9:17 pm    

Aside from adjusting the height, did any of you have to make further adjustments, such as moving the pedals and/or the levers around? For example, I'm pretty slim (basically the body type of an asparagus) so I'm thinking the levers could be closer to my leg.

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 7 Dec 2011 5:09 am    

Im 6"4 with longer torso, knee is 24". I use a cushioned keyboard bench or drum throne - 21" seat height. Steel heights are between 26.5" and 27.5". Funny this thread came up now. Mickey Adams brought his Mullen G2 over, and I couldnt wait to try it, but I could hardly play it! Sad Not because I cant play (because I really cant Laughing), but because it was too low for me. Playing with the rear legs raised and neck tilted away is awkward to me anyway.

Alex, you can adjust the levers easily without moving them. Just change the angle to see if you like it any better. You'll hopefully find one that works, instead of moving the location of the crossbar its attached to!

Clete

Alex Cattaneo

Quebec, Canada
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2011 8:03 pm    

Thanks Clete,

I spend some time on the phone yesterday with Al Brisco, who is THE guy to know if you play steel in Canada, and he set me straight on a few things. Once I'll have my lift kit, it will be a matter of adjusting the pedals at the correct height... and practicing my butt off! Al was saying to me yesterday that he can play with running shoes, construction boots, cowboy boots, anything. I just have to learn, with patience and hard work, to do all the combinations and move my feet-ankles-thighs correctly.

But regarding your point, yes, Al also told me about adjusting the levers so I will look into that also.

Doug Garrick

Grand Junction, CO
Post  Posted 8 Dec 2011 8:13 pm    

Al's a pretty good guy to know even if you don't live in Canada. He's the guy to know if you own a Carter too.

-doug

Jos Roderkerken

The Netherlands
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 9:52 am    

i play the pedal steel on my socks.. the stage one is to small for "big guys "like me Wink

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 6:00 pm    

Yes Chris Brooks is right he is 6' 6" with out his boots on.He plays one Great steel Guitar and he is almost as tall as the others in the band and he is siting down.Great guy and good friend.He's going to miss the leader of the band Ray Cross and we are gaining Ray down here in North Carolina.Hope you guys get another to take Ray's place and it is going to be hard.
Sam White
Dynalap lap 8 String Lap Steel Fender frontman 25B speaker changed Boss TU-12H Tuner.Founder and supporter of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association Founder of the New England Steel Guitar Association and the Greeneville TN Steel Jams and now founder of the North Carolina Steel Guitar Jams. Honorary member of the Rhode Island Steel Guitar Association,Member of The New England Steel Guitar Association.
Member of the Florida Steel Guitar Club,and member of Mid Atlantic Steel Guitar Association

Clete Ritta

San Antonio, Texas
Post  Posted 9 Dec 2011 11:08 pm    

Jos, thats funny! I played in socks often when I began with a Carter Starter. Its a one-size-fits-some steel. Laughing

Clete